How long can pre-mix fuel be stored?

Got questions? We got answers....
danfree

How long can pre-mix fuel be stored?

Post by danfree »

I am using Amsoil Interceptor at 40:1 and a shot of Sta-bil. Up to now, I have been riding so infrequently that I simply drain the tank when finished. It may be 2 or 3 months before I get a chance to ride again. Now, I finally have a little more free time and can go out once or twice a month. Is it OK to leave the premix in the tank for 2 or 3 weeks? Whether I ride or not, I start it up every weekend and let it warm up. Just so the fuel doesn't sit that long in the carb. I find it can be hard to start if I let too much time go by. How long does it take for the fuel to go stale or risk damaging the engine? I'm not a racer or anything, so tip-top efficiency isn't a priority, but I don't want ruin the engine due to lack of lubrication or such. I seem to remember Mr Wibbens mentioning he has used fuel that was sitting in the tank for like 6 months with no ill effects. But I can't find that thread. So maybe I got that wrong.
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Premix like yours sitting in a can for several weeks should be no problem at all for a KDX. Give the can a good shakin' and you're ready to roll!

If the bike's been idle for a while get a fresh dose of fuel in the carb before starting. With the fuel shut off, lean the bike way over in one direction, wait several seconds, lean the bike way over in the other direction. It'll cause the bike to pee out the stuff in the bowl. I've seen guys just lay the bike on it's side to drain the carb. With the gas back on and a few seconds to fill the bowl back up your ready to fire her up with fresh fuel
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
danfree

Post by danfree »

Alright! Thank you.
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

I parked mine end of October for the winter.

Started up no problem yesterday after I got home from work.

Took it for a rip down the street. Neighbours liked that :lol:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Longest mine ever sat was 1 1/2 years

Started up in about a dozen kicks

I then rode on the State of Jefferson Ride, with that same gas
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS