Stator Rewind

Got questions? We got answers....
SVandal

Stator Rewind

Post by SVandal »

Has anyone done this on the KDX? I am not getting anything out to my headlight and wanted to see how it worked out. I have read other sites that mainly focus on 4 strokes and I wanted to see what has been done with KDX's.
Thanks,
Stan
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

http://RickyStator.com used to rewind the lighting coils to output about 65 watts... I don't know if he does it anymore for the H models but he lists them for the E model.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Is there any DIY type kits? I really don't have 120 to put into lighting right now and was hoping to get it up and going.
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

I bought all the stuff to put mine to 65 Watts or so, but then realized that I had a 65 Watter in my junk parts pile. Anyway, the stuff only cost about $15 and that got me enough 17 awg wire and epoxy to do 3 or 4 of them. Give it a try!! :grin:
2002 KDX 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Got instructions?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

yeah, and where did you find the kit??
1999 KDX240 big bore street legal, 2008 KLX300R, 2002 XR250R stock, 1985 XL600R stock, 2001 KDX220 bone stock street legal, 1988 VN750 dresser, 1975 RD350 stock, 1983 GL650I Sliverwing Interstate with sidecar, 1975 Kawasaki F11 (early KDX!), about 15 other bikes that come and go!
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

The wire and epoxy have been slowing me down. I found some wire, but it was about 35-65.00 for a pound and the epoxy has changed names it seems. Any links would be great.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Is that coated wire? It needs to be coated/insulated to work. I don't remember the equations, but thicker wire will get more Amps and wraps will get you voltage. I'll ask a friend whose a EE to see if he knows it off the top of his head.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A quick call will confirm but I want to know how to do it before I go buy the components....

Here is 100 ft of 14ga enameled wire...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnet-Wire--14-ga- ... dZViewItem
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

I just searched on this sight, Thumpertalk, JustKDX, etc to find how to do it. Simply unwind your current stator or get a spare stock one and unwind it. Rewind with a thicker wire(I was told to use 17AWG)the same way the original wire was wound until the stator plate is full as it was with the thinner wire (make it as tight as you can). I was told I would get 65-75 watts. As far as I could find out. The epoxy is just used to hold things in place. I don't see why it is needed anyway. It does not look as though my original or my Fredette one have any epoxy on them.
2002 KDX 200
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

Yes the wire is coated. I just went to a shop that rewinds motors and alternators and bought a pound for $9. I know I could do several rewinds with a pound.
2002 KDX 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hmmmm...... May have to find a junk one....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

17ga? Can't find any of that....

Forget finding a junk stator.... none on eBay and I don't have any in the parts bin.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Found some 17ga.... what's on the stock one?

http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/item/ ... agnet-Wire
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Baja wrote:..for 100w.This rewind will not support a 55w bulb effectively with our dual sport kit however will allow for better battery charging with a 35w bulb.
That brings up too many questions for me...

A 100W rewind won't support a 55W bulb? Then it's not a 100W rewind. In a description of a KDX piece....they talk about batteries? While I'm sure there is a KDX out there with a battery..I'd bet there ain't enough of 'em for Baja Designs to make a KIT for 'em.

I would be very interested in hearing some facts about this setup. 'I heard...' or 'I was told..' doesn't count. Hook up a light and a meter to the setup....find out what it's doing.

17ga? Sorry. I may be wrong as wrong can be...but my bet is you won't get the current you need out of that to make 5.5amps.

Prove it. :wink:

Re: 'I don't remember the equations, but thicker wire will get more Amps and wraps will get you voltage. I'll ask a friend whose a EE to see if he knows it off the top of his head.'

If you get an 'off the top' of anyone's head answer to that..suspect it.

Without knowing what the magnetic field is doing..its strength and it's speed, you cannot get a correct answer.

Re: 'The epoxy is just used to hold things in place. I don't see why it is needed anyway.'

Heat. Vibration. IF you have the idea that ('fer example) 100' of wire is just going to SIT there with the heat/cold a coil of that nature sees..you're simply mistaken. That's a LOT of length..and it WILL want to move. Considering the insulation being simply varnish..you'd better stabilize the coil if you expect it to work any length of time.

Inda...you're going to try the 14ga. wire and an exisiting plate setup?

To anyone that does it...keep the coils tight. Allowing much of any radius to the wrap curves is going to lose power capability.

Good luck! I'd like to see the outcome..both in picture form AND wattage measurement.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

The epoxy is too hold the wire tight so it doesn't move as the magnets pass. If the wires move, they rub, and can eventually short out. I've seen them with and without, mainly with though. As I will wind it myself I plan to use the epoxy.

If someone has the stock wire size and the number of turns that would be great. We could use that to back out what we need.
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Off the top of his head he didn't know. We went to the internet, old college text books, and eventually realized that neither of us feels like doing integration on a Friday, so the next step was to simply count the number of wraps and keep that number with a slightly larger wire for more current, and more power.

Which for my bike right now, any power is more power.
:sad:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

This is going to be a cool experiment!

Maybe we can get some really high output that's usable! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****