Stator Rewind

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... making an order Friday....

HID... not having much luck with it so far. I will post if there are any developments.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
4x4fab

Post by 4x4fab »

Alright, I'll be waiting......
4x4fab.com
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Wow. I have been away from the forum for a couple months (personal problems) and when I come back you have some new goodies available. If I read everything in this thread correctly, you have a new lighting coil that puts out 100 watts and are shipping them for $110. Is that correct?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup... 2nd batch is due in anyday... :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They shipped... 1 is already sold.... 2 available when these come in this week. Only getting a partial order because I told him I need what he has done ASAP.

So, 2 available ....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

100 Watt lighting coils are in!

2 shipping tomorrow.... 1 left til next batch!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

Hi everyone was just wondering what bulb you have been using with the new coils.Local shops only seem to have a few choices with that style of base and the highest was a 35w.Are you adapting a different base style to fit in the stock set up?

Thanks James
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The bulb choices of course depend on the headlamp shell style. A good lot of KDX riders biffed the OEM shell to oblivion a long time ago.

I did anyway.

I run a double halogen shell with one wide beam light, one narrow beam. I recall it is currently setup with one 30W and one 20W.

Looks kind'a like this:

**edit**
First trail ride yesterday with Inda's coil. There is a positive effect of the coil on the spark of the bike and that is realized in bottom-end, off-idle response.

The same is true between the OEM and Electrex (what I had) coils.

My bike is running with other variables than the coil, so I cannot say with specificity exactly how much improvement there is. I used to run a Trick 114 mix in my bike. That fuel no longer being available locally, I'm running a VP 110 mix. Generally a higher octane fuel will impact throttle response negatively..and the change from 114 to a 110 fuel may be part of the package, but it felt a lot like spark change to me.

I have two electrical 'circuits' on my bike..one for grip heat, one for lights. I switched between them three times yesterday to convince myself it wasn't in my head...but my bike ran better with grip heat on than it did with lights. The grip heat circuit pulls more current than do the lights.

My point is..these larger lighting coils do effect spark efficacy. This has been a known issue for years. I mention the difference between the two circuits on my bike as example: Same day, same conditions, same fuel..and the bike ran different one lighting load from another.

If you have an OEM lighting coil and are interested in an improvement in bottom end response (especially on a 200), one of Inda's coils would be a wise investment.

Disclaimer: If you can't tell the difference in how your bike runs during a ride when the temps change 20-30º, you won't think the lighting coil had any effect at all and you won't be happy...so don't buy one.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

>|QBB<[/url][quote="Indawoods"]This LED tailight allows for my headlight to be very bright ... there is allot of manipulation that can be done. The brake light is also very bright...

Doing this and rewinding my lighting coil should allow for a very stable system... I am hoping anyway.

A bit OT but where did you get those green number plates? What graphic kit and tail light is that?
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

These lighting coils are a no go, right?

Can't get the parts anymore or something?
2002 KDX 200
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Just thought I'd post up my own made coil here, in case someone is wondering how to rewind their own. I did NOT add any plates to the middle of this coil, simply rewound my stock coil with thicker wire because it was broken. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it is, it's not going to put out 100W like the other coils here, but it should be a marked improvement over stock. Say around 65-75W?

Anyway, I simply removed all the stock wire, and rewound with 18GA high quality magnet wire that I got at an electronics store. Keep all the winds tight, and uniform, put as many as you can fit under the flywheel. Scrape some coating off the ends before you solder them onto the stock location. Check for continuity with a multi-meter before re-assembly. Not sure if the direction of the wind makes a difference, I went the same way as stock to be safe.

This entire mod cost me only $13! :mrgreen: All that's needed was the high quality spool of magnet wire. Wire quality does make a difference. Each "layer" used roughly 8-9ft of wire, and a 1/4lb spool did the entire coil with lots left over. Took me about an hour to unwind, rewind, and solder everything back up. If you choose to epoxy it, make sure there's room under the flywheel.

Anyway, this is not intended to steer people away from the other coil, but for those looking for a marked improvement over stock, who maybe just want a bit of extra light, but don't nessicarily want to run heated grips, etc. this might be a viable alternative.

Some pics:

'00 KDX 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

How do you know it's a marked improvement... have you tried it?

There is more to it than just rewinding until it's full. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:...I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it is, it's not going to put out 100W like the other coils here, but it should be a marked improvement over stock.
'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:How do you know it's a marked improvement... have you tried it?

There is more to it than just rewinding until it's full. :wink:
My research has shown that it is just as simple as rewinding it with thicker wire. If there is more, do tell!
'00 KDX 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Number of plates, wire gauge and number of wraps all play a part. It is a give and take proposition though. Where you may get more output at 6k rpm... at idle it will flicker badly.... you will see.

BTW... have you tried it? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I haven't tried it yet, bike should be back together this week. If you remember my build thread, the only reason I did this was be ause my stock one had a broken wire and if I'm going to rewind, might as well upgrade. I barely use my headlight, I just thought I'd share what I did in case others want to try.
'00 KDX 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No problem with that... I have 3 spools of the 17ga magnet wire myself if anyone wants to try it...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

When you said that it flickers at low rpm, was this with the stock bulb or just your hid? Hid lights will flicker if there's not enough voltage goi g to th ballast to create a good constant ignition of the capsule. The halogen light flickering I'm not concerned with, but generally halogen lights wo t flicker, as in go on or off. At low voltage, such as would be seen at idle, the light will dim, but it shouldn't flicker. If by flicker you mean get dimmer and brighter, that may just be a side effect of using the thicker wire, as fewer wraps are possible than with that threadlike stock stuff.

On anther note, you should start following the build thread again, ivemade some updates in the past weeks.
'00 KDX 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Stock bulb... Forget HID.... that has been a tough nut to crack!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'm surprised he used new wire??

I figured for sure he'd just used an old lamp cord
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS