Greasing Swing-arm and other Significant areas?

Got questions? We got answers....
tricasey

Greasing Swing-arm and other Significant areas?

Post by tricasey »

Is there any special tricks to service the swing-arm bushings on this 03 KDX 220? Can I just pull them out and apply some grease, or slide them out a little bit and apply grease? Are there any other areas I need to be concerned about while the grease is in hand?
Thanks
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Don't think it'd be wise/productive to remove the old bearings and not put new one.
Clean old grease as much as u can, (rags, compressed air, solvent...)apply new grease.
I'd do the swingarm, and the shock.
I try to do mine every 6 months and when I took it appart 2 weeks ago, one of the shock was seized, all the needles feel out, had to replace it. All other bearings looked good, still packed with grease, no play in them that I could tell.
good luck.
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

Has anyone ever installed grease zerk fittings or some other type of fitting on the swingarm?
This would allow greasing the swing arm to be a lot faster and become an easier PM vs. having to remove, repair and replace like done now.

I would think the fitting could be installed on the inner side or middle section of the swing arm to allow the new grease to push out the old. You would stop adding grease when you see fresh grease starting to appear, which might have to be another hole to allow the old to escape. You would need to cap (could be threaded screw in type also) it to prevent debris entering the escape hole while in use.

I have bought a 02 KDX200 but not picked it up yet, so forgive me if something is a barrier to this, as I don't have a machine to compare to yet.

Thoughts on this modification?

Erik
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
N8Strine

Post by N8Strine »

How would this possibly work? The needle bearings are in their own shell? Are you going to drill threw the bearing casings aslo? I think its best to take your bearings apart to clean and regrease.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The concensus was.... they should be inspected.... zerks=bad.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Has anyone ever installed grease zerk fittings..'

Ha! There's a big can-o-worms getting opened.........

Re: 'How would this possibly work?'

It can...if you think about what you're doing.

Take the swingarm for example. The OEM bearing configuration (two per side..with a space between) is quite well suited for a grease fitting.

In other places...the collar is going to need some work done on it, too.

Overall..as said..nothing in the way of cleaning going on with a zerk. Properly installed, a zerk will increase the time between those necessary cleanings. The 'properly installed' part is the bugger.

Re: 'Are there any other areas I need to be concerned about..'

You said 'swingarm'. Does that include the suspension knuckle (UniTrack)? Probably.

If not...THOSE parts, too.

..I also presume that 'swingarm' includes the pivot pin? The bearings that actually swing the arm, right?

The other important bearing install that needs to be taken care of is the steering head bearings. By the time you 'feel' something amiss there, it's too late to save the bottom bearing.

Some folks zerk the steering tube. :shock: WAY too much mess imo..and not particularly effective, either.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
tricasey

Linkage

Post by tricasey »

I'm still a mechanic in training here.........I should of asked how in the heck should I get those linkage bolts out? With a crow bar? geez, those suckers are in there! And should there be any play at all in the rear end? Once I get the bolt out will the inner bearing for the linkage just be at my disposal? There is a micro amount of movement, I think it's coming from the shock bearing....I'm talking very little! If I disconnect the dog bone will the shock just pop down, and be a bitch to get back up? Hope I'm making this understandable...........Thanks again in advance.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You will have to have it up on a stand... with the rear wheel in the air.... and then she won't go anywhere....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

tricasey

Post by tricasey »

Yep, it's in the stand (5 Gal Bucket), and rear wheel is off, and it's taking a break at the moment. I put a 19 on the nut, but it would not break free. I think I can put a cheater bar on it, but once I break it loose what would the next step be? Will the axle just slide side to side? Do I have to take both nuts off each side? Then how would the axle bearings be accessed?

Thanks
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

If you are talking about the swing arm bolt, the nut comes off the RH side. You'll have to tap it through with a piece of drift. Don't use a screwdriver; I learned a lesson there.

If you are talking about the linkage nut, yeah it's tough to break that nut. I didn't have a breaker bar so I used a ratchet and some old handle bars. Slipped the grip end of the bar over the ratchet, more leverage, and viola, that sucker loosened right up.

I just did mine for the first time (newbie too) and it wasn't too difficult.

If the needles fall out or are rusty and brown just change them.

I was worried about the shock too, but it goes back together easily.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX