usd fork swap versus hybrid

Got questions? We got answers....
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

usd fork swap versus hybrid

Post by sparkingdogg »

N8Strine recently said, in another thread, quote:

Dude if you have the 220 and the KX why not just make a hybrid instead of trying to put the KX forks on the Kdx ?

ok, i have not read so much on the topic. i know this is not really the forum to discuss this, but how about some more info/thoughts/input from some of you that have done it? i bet a lot of others, as well as myself, have not really put any thoughts into this.

pros/cons/headaches???

approx cost?? (after bikes are purchased)

benifits/drawbacks??

i, for one, am interested!
1999 KDX240 big bore street legal, 2008 KLX300R, 2002 XR250R stock, 1985 XL600R stock, 2001 KDX220 bone stock street legal, 1988 VN750 dresser, 1975 RD350 stock, 1983 GL650I Sliverwing Interstate with sidecar, 1975 Kawasaki F11 (early KDX!), about 15 other bikes that come and go!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There is a whole forum dedicated to it here....

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=111
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:There is a whole forum dedicated to it here....

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=111
i know... i was just going mainstream... sorry...

well... it was 70 degrees here today (finally)... took all the kdx's and the kx out... the 220 is awesome, the 200 good too, but i don't really care for the kx. maybe it is an age thing, i had a ton of mx'ers back in the day... but i really like everything about the kdx better.

the 220 crawls along, then *pow* wheelies right over whatever is in the way. no way i can lug the kx like that. or even the 200.

the seat is too hard on the kx, the suspension too stiff, it is all pretty much tight trails and hillclimbing with no fast approach, where i am riding. even with the kdx motor on the kx, i just don't feel that it is the mod for me.

that solves that... i have no interest in a hybrid now... maybe some future date, but i doubt even that.

kx, meet mr. impact wrench... :twisted: ebay, get ready!
1999 KDX240 big bore street legal, 2008 KLX300R, 2002 XR250R stock, 1985 XL600R stock, 2001 KDX220 bone stock street legal, 1988 VN750 dresser, 1975 RD350 stock, 1983 GL650I Sliverwing Interstate with sidecar, 1975 Kawasaki F11 (early KDX!), about 15 other bikes that come and go!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The only way I would do a hybrid is if a rolling chassis landed in my garage....

I like my soft seat and the ergo's of the KDX. There was a point to it's design... Even with the KX forks.... I have some tweaking to do... need to soften them up some mo'....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I built a hybrid and sold my KDX. ('02 220 with KX forks)
The hybrid is a '99 CR250 frame with an RBD'ized 220 motor.

GREAT ride. I can go faster longer on the hybrid than I could the KDX.

So what? what's the hurry? It is not as comfortable as the KDX was. No matter how much suspension tweaking I do I can't get it to suspend well slow as well as fast. The faster you go, the better it works. It's kind of harsh just plunking around.

The GIRL ( :oops: ) who bought my KDX was down here recently. I took the old bike for about a 5 mile loop. After I got used to the ergos/steering I really enjoyed the way it just ate up trail.

If I ever come across a clean KDX I'll by it just for it's intended purpose: Riding with style at a very reasonable rate
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

I did the hybrid, skipping the fork swap. I'll second the loss of slow speed comfort with the hybrid. It handles just fine at slow or high speed. Much more forgiving than my KDX was and the suspension overall is tons better. I'm using a 2002 cr125 frame with a 2003 rear shock and 2000 CR250 Showa forks. If I sit down too long my backside lets me know on the ride home.

I would do the hybrid again in a heartbeat. For slow riding with the kids I plan to get an XR200 or 250. For riding with the guys I plan to get some more mods done to the engine.
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:The only way I would do a hybrid is if a rolling chassis landed in my garage....

I like my soft seat and the ergo's of the KDX. There was a point to it's design... Even with the KX forks.... I have some tweaking to do... need to soften them up some mo'....
my sentiments exactly! it was indeed designed very very well.
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:I would do the hybrid again in a heartbeat.
and to each there own. my point is, these hybrids definately are NOT for everyone. if you like to go WFO and have the terrain, may be the way to go. for my style (a lot of putting and tight trails) i think the kawa engineers hit their mark.

i will leave further discussions of this to the hybrid forum. just wanted to shed some additional light on the subject.

thanks all, for your input and thoughts.

~john
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Oh yeah, for cost, if you can pick up a rolling chassis for about 600-800 you are ahead of the game if it has everything on it. Add another 30 for material and the drill, and 50.00 if you can't weld it up yourself. I made back about 300+ on my 94 kdx in parts and such.

My KDX was 900 when I bought it, cost about 1K in CR components and got back about 300 so total cost was 1600. I had a friend do the welding and I did the rest of the fitting work. On a side not though, when I did this my bike was in need of new tires, handlebars, and about 400.00 worth of suspension mods to fit it to me. I figure I needed to put about 600.00 into my bike so I did the hybrid and the 1600 included these mods and parts. So really it was about a break even except my bike dropped 20-30lbs, my chassis is 8 years newer, my suspension is much more suited to me and my riding style.

Thats to answer the original question. If you want a faster, lighter, better handling KDX then do a hybrid. If you want an easy swap to a faster lighter, better handling bike, buy a KX250 and mod the pipe and engine. If you want a bike that will ride the trails comfortably in a sitting position for long periods of time, keep your KDX stock. I would skip the fork swap because the suspension isn't that bad if all you want to do is tool around on the trails. If you really want to go faster you are hindering yourself by keeping an older, heavier chassis and just improving the forks.

Thats just my take on it though. Bikes all have different purposes, figure out what you want it to do and start buying/modding it to fit.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

In the tights.... the KDX ergo's are king.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

SVandal

Post by SVandal »

My hybrid has no troubles with them. The motor is part of that equation and I still have it. :grin:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You may have no troubles... but I have less! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

SVandal

Post by SVandal »

Your avatar is eating babies, I would assume that nothing would trouble you when you are ok with that :lol: .
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ha!!!

You may have no troubles... but I have less!
Your avatar is eating babies, I would assume that nothing would trouble you when you are ok with that.

My laugh for the day!!!

Things like that make me think of a dozen green riders out here in the Jefferson woods...some riding...some thirst quenching...one helluva good time!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You need to make that happen CC.... :? :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Things like that make me think of a dozen green riders out here in the Jefferson woods...some riding...some thirst quenching...one helluva good time!
wooohooo!!! :partyman:
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote: If you want a bike that will ride the trails comfortably in a sitting position for long periods of time, keep your KDX stock. I would skip the fork swap because the suspension isn't that bad if all you want to do is tool around on the trails.
kinda what i was thinking... :neutral:

just not sure if the usd forks are that critical. i DID grow up on a c2tr and an f7. my stock suspension feels very plush, comparatively speaking!!! the pre-1978 bikes had 2-3 inches of travel, and that was ONLY if you hit hard. they were brutal, we were young and didn't know any different.

maybe the xr400 springs and some other little mods would make my forks okey-dokey.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... I like my 03 KX 125 forks....

They are stiffer and feel more positive while steering and no underhang to trip me up on the roots and ruts. I will never go back....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I need to make it happen?

Hell...I've offered up a couple acres of space, lodging, accomodations a BUNCH of times...

Y'all come out and make me sorry I opened my mouth!!!

The 'no underhang' part is mainly why I switched. My OEM forks were setup suspension-wise great!! Actually...better'n my KX forks are. That underhang SUCKS!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

So... when is ideal conditions to ride up there?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****