breaking FMF TC2 pipes

Got questions? We got answers....
barryadam
Supporting Member

breaking FMF TC2 pipes

Post by barryadam »

Has anyone else had experience with FMF TC mufflers failing? I've replaced a TC after about 18 months and now the replacement TC2 is broken in the same manner after being installed 12 months ago.
Sorry, photo bucket is down. I'll post a pic when it's up tomorrow.
Basically, it's a break in the pipe where the mounting tab is welded on. It's NOT loaded up with installation forces, and has NOT been clobbered in a crash. It is sturdy when mounted, and is NOT being kicked by the rear tire under suspension compression.

When I went to the FMF factory with the first failure, they didn't offer any insight, and did not acknowledge any such field issues on this model. Gave me 50% off the replacement to make me go away.

It's mated to an FMF Gnarly Desert, 020056, the fatter Rev pipe (was K-G30). My son has been the only rider since 2004. The pipe has a e-line cf guard.

The only anomalies I can think of was a session at Ocatillo Wells where the pipe got really hot (first muffler), and I though maybe it was jetted wrong for the elevation/weather, but it ran great (142 m.j.). After the second muffler was on, with 148 m.j., we had another ride where it kinda smelled hot. In both cases, the coolant level was fine and didn't boil over. I just checked the compression and it's at 150 psi.

Any ideas?
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I've had two FMF silencers and haven't had any problems. I know some of the stock KTM silencers have a habit of cracking. Post the pics when you get them. Do you have a rubber grommet in the mounting tab hole? Maybe you can get it welded and beefed up at that location (isn't it stainless steel).
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I ran an FmF TCII for a few years. Didn't have any problems with it.

More often than not, I've heard complaints of those units being bought without mounting hardware/isolators. They either weren't in the bag, got ripped off, lost...something. Instances when FmF was asked to supply the stuff, they did. I've also seen some pipes bolted directly to the bike (no isolators/bushings).

Mine came without 'em (it was used). I made my own.

While it is not 'loaded up' as you say (in the case of it being stuck on a pipe that isn't tweaked, anyway) a direct bolt install would give those tabs a hard time.

So...you have bushings of some sort in those tabs?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:I ran an FmF TCII for a few years. Didn't have any problems with it.

More often than not, I've heard complaints of those units being bought without mounting hardware/isolators. They either weren't in the bag, got ripped off, lost...something. Instances when FmF was asked to supply the stuff, they did. I've also seen some pipes bolted directly to the bike (no isolators/bushings).

Mine came without 'em (it was used). I made my own.

While it is not 'loaded up' as you say (in the case of it being stuck on a pipe that isn't tweaked, anyway) a direct bolt install would give those tabs a hard time.

So...you have bushings of some sort in those tabs?
Ah-ha! That must be it. Carvr, your right!
I just posted the pics of the broken pipe in my gallery, but have no idea how to link the pics to a post. Go look for the 2001 KDX in "barryadam" in galleries. You can see the broken inlet pipe, and other pics show the HARD MOUNTS that came with this TC2 (FMF part number 020339). The previous pipe that broke must have also had hard mounts.
Now, I recently pulled together a second KDX for my daughter. It's a 1999 220, and I put on a FMF Woods pipe (something different to try) along with an FMF TC2. It's p/n is SA7-202, and has the much different rubber bushed mounts. Not a very good fit, but NOT BROKEN (yet), either. By the way, the Woods pipe was a bitch to install.
So maybe I need to talk to FMF about the two different styles of muffler mounts and see if I can get some "customer service" to fix or replace the broken muffler. And in any case, I will be sure it is rubber mounted, even if I have to engineer it myself.
Thanks again.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Maybe you can catch 'em between bong hits....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

How to:

To display the image IN the thread, simply use the [img] tags:

[img]http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules/albu ... c00116.jpg[/img]

Take note the address must be accessible on the web. Inserting a path to a picture on your computer isn't likely to work...your computer is not 'on' the web. Some sites won't allow hijacks of their bandwidth..and in fact it is NOT nice at all to USE a site's bandwidth without their permission. A link to SmugMug in the above string..that would be fine. That's what SmugMug is for. A link to THIS site from some OTHER site is stealing bandwidth from Inda for the benefit of some other site. Inda can prevent that from happening..but if he doesn't..that you take advantage of it doesn't make you less a thief.

To LINK to an image (the above applies the same):

[url=http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules/albu ... c00116.jpg][b]CLICKTHIS![/b] [/url]

From the above string, the words CLICK THIS! will be in [b]bold[/b] text. You don't HAVE to use the [b][/b]tags..but if you don't 'mark' the words to the link in some way, someone reading the post that doesn't know what to look for will miss the link altogether.

Most of the entry in the above examples is a copy/paste function. Select a picture in your gallery, display the properites (right click on the pic, left click 'properties'), COPY that property string (hilight the string, right click, choose copy), PASTE (right click, choose paste) it as required. You don't have to type all that stuff.

How's that?

BTW, the reason you can SEE the above BBCode characters is because I selected 'Diable BBCode in this post'. Otherwise you would not see them. You would just see the denoted pic or a link to it.

Consider the source

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Pipes that are hard to install ARE that way 'cuz they are tweaked. Don't matter if they're brandy new or not. FmF is famous for their crap fit pipes. IMO and all..but if I paid all that money for a brand new pipe that didn't fit, they would get it back.

After a few crashes (or one real GOOD crash), a pipe that used to fit ain't going to no more, either.

Consider: The pipe is hard mounted NOwhere. Springs in the front..and two rubber isolated mounts. Mount that up to a S/A that's bolted directly to the frame...that S/A is going to get tweaked on.

I made similar bushings for my TCII. Made'm thinner 'cuz I use that 'handle' all the time. The pipe against that handle wouldn't work for me well at all.

I went to the trouble of bushing the TCII because of the troubles I'd heard about busting the thing from other riders.

I did NOT do that with my PC S/A. It's not noted for that problem (breakage). I've run IT for years..hasn't broken yet (knock wood).

Oh....

CLICKY!
:wink:

Re: 'Ah-ha! That must be it. Carvr, your right!'

jc said it first. I just agreed with him. :wink:

..which...of course means...the NEXT time it breasks (even with the bushings) it's HIS fault!

Consider the source

barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:How to:

Select a picture in your gallery, display the properites (right click on the pic, left click 'properties'), COPY that property string (hilight the string, right click, choose copy), PASTE (right click, choose paste) it as required. You don't have to type all that stuff.

How's that?
Great. Thanks. I'm getting better at forums a little bit at a time. So many forums, so little time.

I was in a hurry last night to work on the bike and decided that creating a new gallery and pointing to it would be easier than uploading each pic to photobucket and linking to the thread. I just started using PB recently and it does what I need most of the time. It's very intuitive and that's important as I have very little time to figure these things out. I like on PB that the links to the full size pic are listed under the thumbnails. To be honest, I spent few seconds trying to read all the code and edit buttons on the KDX gallery page (main and photos), and rather than play with it and do some trials, etc., I blew it off. I've spent more time typing this than I spent trying to figure out my gallery management. I've got a motor to pull and a frame to prep for welding and painting. Plus plating. Time to get working.

Thanks

Barry
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
I made similar bushings for my TCII. Made'm thinner 'cuz I use that 'handle' all the time. The pipe against that handle wouldn't work for me well at all.
One of the nice things about living here is you can just drop in to most of the places that make or sell the stuff. That goes for almost anything from off-road to road bikes, autos, consumer electronics, etc.
I used to live in BFE, and it was totally the opposite.
So I dropped in to FMF today and they will repair/replace under warranty. It was one year ago this coming Saturday that I got it.

I showed FMF the two mounting styles I had and said I wanted to rubber mount this one. If they can't set it up that way or replace it with one that does, I'll have to fab it myself.

Speaking of that handle, I use it all the time, too. In fact, I'm adding one to the sub-frame on my KX right now as well.

Gotta go cobble some aluminum.

See ya.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Good to hear!

Have fun cobbling!!

Consider the source