rear brake line routing pictures

Got questions? We got answers....
Little Jeff

rear brake line routing pictures

Post by Little Jeff »

Hi there, I bought some aftermarket stainless steel braided brake lines for my 2000 KDX200. I bought them from Dennis Kirk and the Mfg. is Russell. The front one fits good it's just that the rear brake line seems a bit long to me. I threw my old ones out so I have nothing to compare too. It is kind of bunched up at the rear mastercylinder and touches the rear shock spring ever so slightly. Could somebody post some pics of how their brake lines are routed, specifically at the rear master cylinder. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks again
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Did you go check in the gallery?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I did...didn't find what I was looking for. But...didn't look at every pic, either.

This:

is from the Kawasaki parts diagrams. It might serve the purpose.

It shouldn't touch the shock spring. A pic of that would be good. The spring being INside the swingarm, the MC being mounted to the frame OUTside the swingarm...I'm not seeing in my mind's eye how the forward loop is going to touch the spring.

Maybe give the line a 180º turn to tweak it away from the spring? I have no idea how much such a torsional force effects those brake lines..but you might give it a shot.

How 'bout a tie-wrap in an obscure out-of-the-way spot? Just enough tension to keep it off the spring?

If you're still interested in an actual pic...say so, I'll take one tonight.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Could you please take a picture Canyoncarver, I would really appreciate it. I personally think the line is to long, but I could be wrong.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Can you measure the line?
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

I will measure it this week.
Little Jeff
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You bet.

Somewhere inbetween drinking my dinner and going to bed early I'll try to remember to TRY to squeeze that into my busy busy evening. :lie:

I'll run a string on the OEM line to give you an idea how long it is from banjo to banjo.

Consider the source

barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

While carvr is out drinking his colonic......

Not the best detail of the OEM line, but this is from a 2001 220.

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Colonic? Uh...err....uummmm....is THAT why that happens?

Oh my... :shock:
That's a good pic. There is a bit of a turn to the OEM plumbing obviously..has to be 'cuz it moves from 'right to left' and that's where a 'too long' length of line would become a problem.

If the line was really too long, you could loop it 360º just ahead of the MC.

Depending on the stiffness of that SS line and how much slack you need to get rid of, couldn't you lose a little of that extra length at the caliper? Exaggerate that curve a bit?

I don't know if the SS line is thick enough for the clips on the swingarm to actually hold it in place. You could rig up something that would work..a bit of tire tube maybe.

Hey! Howcome them tire knobs are so close together? Where's the MUD s'posed to get stuck?

Consider the source

barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Colonic? Uh...err....uummmm....is THAT why that happens?

Oh my... :shock:
http://www.ultimate-coffees-info.com/co ... onics.html
I thought you did a ride report on the Gonzales Protocol? :?
Ya know, a couple of pots of hot coffee in the morning really gets you going. AND you don't have to stop for a trail break every 15 minutes. :rolleyes:

<<Hey! Howcome them tire knobs are so close together? Where's the MUD s'posed to get stuck?>>

Our fantasy ride is to go somewhere that has real black dirt and trees. The sand and rocks and shrubs around here are gettin' old. Real MUD? Whaz that? Can you recommend any places in Orgegon or Idaho?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've never ridden in 'real black dirt'!! Got some trees, though.

It's decomposed granite in one close riding area...clay in the other. Both of 'em are slicker'n snot when wet...and just as slick when dry!

There is ONE short bit of track that's dirt. Used to be a favorite of mine. Since The Quads found it (don't know why it took 'em so long) it's pretty much ripped to snot.

C'mon up! 'Real black dirt' or not, you'll be glad you made the trip (if the weather doesn't happen to go gunnybags).

:hmm: ...where'd I put my coffee.............?????

Consider the source

Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Well after a little persausion, I got the brake line where it needs to be. It was just really super stiff, being new and all. It is not touching the shock spring anymore. Barry Adam, thanks alot for the picture. That helped tremendously. I would imagine the oem brake lines are a lot more pliable than a stainless steel braided line. Thank you so much to everyone that helped. Only 4 more weeks till I get to ride.
Since we are on the subject of brakes, what the best way to bleed a dry brake system? I was thinking about back bleeding it just to get the fluid in there, then bleeding it normally by pumping the brakes then release the bleeder valve until no air shows. Does that sound right?
Thanks again
Little Jeff
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

So...I've been stumbling around out in the dark..in the cold...wasting a lot of Inda's bandwidth to upload.....nothing of use?

Gee. I feel all special and stuff.

:sad:

CLICKY 1

CLICKY 2

Re: 'what the best way to bleed a dry brake system?'

A pressure/vacuum bleeder.

If the brake system is NOT dry...THEN...

A pressure/vacuum bleeder.

In the case of your normal situation..and you just have a bit of air giving you a soft 'pedal', that is completely different. THEN...

A vacuum/pressure bleeder.

But...you prolly figured that out already...............
Last edited by canyncarvr on 10:22 pm Aug 05 2009, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

This post just saved me from a melted rear brake line! How, you ask?

After installing my recently aquired FMF pipe and silencer (using another post :supz: ) I noticed my rear brake line was touching the pipe. "Hmmm? That doesn't seem right." A two second KDXRider.net search for "rear and brake and line" gets me to this post with a picture of the proper routing. Nice!

But how did mine get all out of whack? During a recent brake pad change I must have had an extra twist of the caliper when reinstalling. One twist back and she's back to spec. Lesson learned.

Gotta love this site. Another reason to subscribe. I have seen a lot of post from new members recently and if you've gotten a tip or learned a lesson from this invaluable resource, hit that big shiney Subscribe button at the top of this page.

I just did.
VV
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Thanks! Got me to see the link I'd posted was not correct, or, in other words, wrong.

Who's following me around to pick up after me anyways.......:hmm:

Consider the source

Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Aw. I subscribed and lost my little yellow stars. :sad:
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)