parts interchangability questions

Got questions? We got answers....
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

parts interchangability questions

Post by sparkingdogg »

well, after riding the '89 kdx200 last year, i jumped in deep... bought a '00 kdx 220 for $1150, think the price was ok. a week later, which was yesterday, i came across a '00 kx 250 for $1400. both bikes are fairly clean. i wanna put the front end usd's on the kdx. the kdx currently has some ugly (imho) yellow rims. question: what do i have to do to put the kx rear wheel on the kdx? they look pretty close to me. figure somebody here has tried. or will know.

soooo, is the '89 (fairly tired but runs ok) worth parting out on ebay? anybody have good experience? bought that one for $700 last year. it would be kool if i could make some profit, then do the rb mods and others to the 220.

i think the kx 250 will pay for itself when i part it out, it is fairly clean. are the forks ok to use, or should i sell them too and look for kx 125 forks?? which are better for the 220?

also, will the throttle from the kx work on the 220 ok? they look different, but it seems to me that a throttle is a throttle...

one more... will the trip meter from the '89 kdx 200 work on the '00 kdx 220?

i know i can search the part numbers via the net, just thought, since this site is incredible, someone would know off the top of their head.

i have learned a TON of info here. thanks for that, and thanks in advance for these other questions!!! :razz:

~john
1999 KDX240 big bore street legal, 2008 KLX300R, 2002 XR250R stock, 1985 XL600R stock, 2001 KDX220 bone stock street legal, 1988 VN750 dresser, 1975 RD350 stock, 1983 GL650I Sliverwing Interstate with sidecar, 1975 Kawasaki F11 (early KDX!), about 15 other bikes that come and go!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I've parted out a few bikes. It's my experience that you have the best luck selling if you can find a site that specializes in that particular model or brand (kdxrider.net or ktmtalk.com) because you are dealing with more of a targeted audience.

I don't know all of what fits what, but I think most of the time it is the front wheel that gives you the problem. I almost bought a used set of aftermarket wheels for my hybrid, but they were off of a KX450F and the front wheel would not have fit without some fiddling. The rear wheel woudl have worked fine, though.

The KX250 and KX125 forks are identical except for the spring. The 250 uses the next stiffer spring.
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

so you think the rear wheel will fit? it has new tires, the kx that is. it looks the same, hard to tell because the kdx is pretty muddy. spring thaw here :twisted:

i sorta figured the kx250 springs were stiffer than the kdx220... but too stiff?? i weight 170# and mostly do tight trails. too old for big air :roll:

i would hate to put the front end on, to find the kx250 springs were too stiff, and tear it back apart :mad:

thanks for your input, anyone else got 2 cents?

this site rocks! :bravo:

~john
1999 KDX240 big bore street legal, 2008 KLX300R, 2002 XR250R stock, 1985 XL600R stock, 2001 KDX220 bone stock street legal, 1988 VN750 dresser, 1975 RD350 stock, 1983 GL650I Sliverwing Interstate with sidecar, 1975 Kawasaki F11 (early KDX!), about 15 other bikes that come and go!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '..but it seems to me that a throttle is a throttle... '

Nope.

The KDX has a curved tube on top. That's NOT common. Buy a brandy new small bodied PWK..it doesn't come with a curved tube. That the two throttles have the same housing length, same fit types (they don't), the same cable length with the same terminations would be quite a stretch.

Re: 'i weight 170#..'

.38s/.40s probably. Not what you'll find in a track bike. RaceTech and MX-Tech are two sites that have both stock spring rate info and recommendations for different types of riding.

Do yourself a favor and take the base valve out of the KX. It's probably got a dozen or so .24 shims in it. Take out at least half of 'em...maybe eight.

Re: 'will the trip meter from the '89 kdx 200 work on the '00 kdx 220?'

An 'H' odo works on an 'E' bike, with an 'E' cable. The drives are not the same. Given that, I s'pose it would.

How are you going to drive any mechanical odo with a set of KX forks?

Re: 'so you think the rear wheel will fit?'

You're kidding. Right? I'm asking a serious question.

The KX to the KDX you mean?

Uh...I believe the answer is, 'No.' Not if you plan on just bolting the thing in, anyway.

Why would you want a 19" wheel on a trail bike anyway? The sidewalls are smaller..and that's not a good thing in the world of rocks, ruts, and roots.

You might be missing that '89. It's a good bike.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

canyncarvr, thanks a TON!!!

i knew someone would keep me from pulling my hair out!!! you have really set me straight. you just saved me countless hours of frustration, not to mention about 5 cases of budweiser! :hmm:

it's hard to compare the kdx220 to the kx250, as the 220 is covered in dried mud. it got warm enuf to ride but too cold to wash. :twisted:

yeah, the '89 is a good old bike, but i think tomorrow i am going to buy a '04 kdx 200 for $1800. it's a clean machine. i just got the '89 last fall, it's just getting old. but still has a lot of life left. just would rather ride than wrench...

also have... '79 yz100, '97 ke100, '86 en450, '88 vn750, '91 vn750, '81 xr250, along with the 200, 220, and kx. oh, and my dad's quad, a artic cat dvx250. but i don't really like the quad. gonna sell that one for him. point is, some of these bikes HAVE GOT TO GO!!! just ask my wife! :roll:

thanks again, i really do appreciate your taking a few minutes. saved me LOTS of hours, just to find things were not going to work!

and i will heed your advice about the forks. you OBVIOUSLY know what you are talking about!! :boogie:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Whoa....:naughty:

My sincere apologies for ANYthing said that would result in a loss of beer. Well...Bud isn't worth flushing the terlit with..but, let's just stick with 'beer'.

If the 'heed advice' about the forks comment is in regard to removing a handful of 24mm shims from the base valve, keep in mind that's just the start of the beginning on getting a good set of forks to work. It takes a couple minutes and certainly worth doing. A better, more free-flowing piston, a completely reconfigured base AND mid-valve stacks are in the cards if you want a good set of forks on a woods bike OFF a track bike.

Re: '..not going to work..'

Some of the things you mentioned will work fairly easily (fork swap), some could be done I suppose, but I don't know why you would want to do it (put on a 19" rear wheel).

If there is something you're set on getting done, ask individual questions to make sure there isn't some blanket 'Nope' applied in error.

That you say you don't want to bolt up a set of forks just to find you have to change springs does put you in the 'rather ride than wrench' category. I understand that thinking. Still, there ain't no way you will reap the available benefits of a fork swap if you're going to bolt 'em up and forget about 'em.

The same 'no way' applies to most other dirtbike stuff, seems to me. From tire pressure changes to shock clickers to carb tuning to fluid maintenance to suspension bearing service...there's ALways something needs doing on a dirtbike.

Consider the source

jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
sparkingdogg wrote:so you think the rear wheel will fit?

I've been thinking lately in terms of what KX-F parts are compatible with my KX hybrid. That's what I was talking about. I haven't thought about KDX parts in a while (other than the motor). I hope I didn't confuse you.
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

canyncarvr,

re: My sincere apologies for ANYthing said that would result in a loss of beer. Well...Bud isn't worth flushing the terlit with..but, let's just stick with 'beer'.

i should have said, *put to better use*, as in drinking it after a long ride, rather than a big mechanical nightmare!! :partyman:

re: the forks... sure, i understand that is just the beginning. but great advice, and much appreciated.

re: the wheel... buddy, i have 12 (or so??) bikes, my dad's quad (for sale), tools, toys, a freezer, and a bunch of other cr*p in my garage. it's cold outside. hard to look at anything under those conditions. i DON'T want to change sizes. just would have been nice if it fit!

re: ride vs. wrench... i don't mind some of it, i like to get to the garage, have a few buds, and work on my bikes. but i like to do upgrades and maintenance, not constantly fix a 20 year old bike. i have been riding 2T bikes for 35 years, never had a lot of cash to pay mechanics! done a lot of work to a lot of bikes in all that time.

really, i would rather drink that budweiser, and polish the fenders on that '04 than replace all the seals on the '89.

besides, isn't the '04 bike superior? or do you like the earlier ones? i like the '00 220 best, that beast torques along in second gear like a 4T. what a blast to ride. surprising what those small changes make, 200 vs. 220.

soooo... gotta ask... where approx is the state of jefferson?? anywhere near me??
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

jc7622,

not a problem. i really DO appreciate all the input.

said it before, say it again: this site kicks a$$!!! i have really learned a lot here... with over 100 pages, sometimes it is hard to find specifics.

thanks!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

really, i would rather drink that budweiser, and polish the fenders on that '04 than replace all the seals on the '89.
Well now...that sounds all too reasonable to me.

Re: ' isn't the '04 bike superior?'

You won't get 'a' correct answer to that question. Without a doubt the two 200's are different. The older bike has considerably more bottom end grunt than the newer. For the same reasons that is true, a newer 200 will likely walk away from the older in any contest of speed (like..so what? That matters on single track?). The later frame is supposedly better..it must be by simple design dynamics. How that translates to actual performance improvement is going to be subjective.

Obviously the 'H' series looks a whole lot better! :wink:

And just as obviously, there is NO argument to the contrary at least to THAT fact.

:grin:

Re: 'where...approx..'

:hmm: ???

What!!?? It's not on YOUR map?

What are they teachin' kids these days....

Sincerely,
CSN

Crotchety Senior Member

Consider the source

N8Strine

Post by N8Strine »

Dude if you have the 220 and the KX why not just make a hybrid instead of trying to put the KX forks on the Kdx ?
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

N8Strine wrote:Dude if you have the 220 and the KX why not just make a hybrid instead of trying to put the KX forks on the Kdx ?
new topic, chief... coming NOW :hmm:
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

ahhh canyncarvr,

well said. and the 220 is different yet. i DO like that old e-series green bugger. speed is not so much to me... i have the kx250 if i REALLY feel like going to the hospital. :please:

speed and single track are over-rated. reliability and predictability are tantamount, in my book.

i grew up catching big air on a frickin' '74 kaw f7 (you young-un's better google THAT) with a broken triple clamp, it was like landing on a giant freshly killed sea bass. *squish* *squirm* *oh cr@p*

now i am more refined, at least i hope. and the 220 gives me the grunt of the older bike, with a more defined and comfortable chassis.

quote: Obviously the 'H' series looks a whole lot better!

aw, i kinda like the older one. makes me feel like rambo.. rough, rugged, practical, yet full of p*ss and vinegar. :evil:

kool map, thanx for that! :razz: too bad so far away. would have enjoyed buying you a brew. last time i was out that way was the 90's. the 1890's that is. :lol:

re: What are they teachin' kids these days....

morals, ethics, and real values. my oldest (son) goes into the marine corps in six months, wants to fly helicopters. right now he *only* flies kdx's. :wink: my next (daughter) wants to be an engineer in the navy. she is learning to ride a ke100. and my youngest baby (girl) is passed out right here next to me, she is six weeks old. i am gonna duct tape a 220volt power wheels to her butt in a couple weeks. :shock:

the whole kdx thing is new, and super kool, to me. had 70's rm125's and cr250's and f7's, but been on vulcan 750's for the last 20 years. you ever ride the streets?? a lean cruiser, a hot day, no cell phone... now THAT is freedom!!

peace... john
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

oh yeah... bought 5 bikes today...

the '04 kdx200, pretty nice, well cared for.

4 parts bikes, to strip and sell:

70's yam 2T street (125??)

70's f7 (memories!!)

80's honda cm450

really weird 80's kaw aluminum frame and body mini road racer (no motor)

driving the wife CRAZY... one bike at a time... :whistle:

guess that makes 15 bikes...

off subject, couple weeks ago bought an '01 intrepid r/t, low miles, fire engine red, factory epoxy rims... FAAAST! 245 ponies! luv that car!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Crazy guy. No lack of parts at your house, huh?

I'd keep the '89 KDX as is and put the motor, after some mods, in the KX frame.

But I'M NOT you! You may not want a mild mannered KX.

With that collection of bikes you can make just about any combo you want.

I had an F7 back in the day. That was a fine motor.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '..you ever ride the streets?'

Only for about the past 40 years.

Started with an apehanger 350CB..then a whole string of 2T twin Yammys.

I'm looking at THIS for maybe a trip down memory lane:

Re:'..like landing on a giant freshly killed sea bass.'

Ha!

I had an instructor in the Nav..he really liked his MachIV:

74bhp! He said it handled like it had 17 hinges in the frame. He loved it!

Nebraska's not THAT far away. Sounds like your wife would be glad you were gone for a week or so. It would give her a chance to clean out that garage! Maybe refurnish the house!

Kin you say, 'New Kitchen!!'? :wink:

Consider the source

sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Crazy guy. No lack of parts at your house, huh?
yeah, for real. well, i got laid off of my job of 14 years. passes time and maybe make a few bucks.

and yeah that f7 ran hard!
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

>|QBB<[/url]
canyncarvr wrote:Re: '..you ever ride the streets?'

Only for about the past 40 years.

Started with an apehanger 350CB..then a whole string of 2T twin Yammys.

I'm looking at THIS for maybe a trip down memory lane:

Re:'..like landing on a giant freshly killed sea bass.'

Ha!

I had an instructor in the Nav..he really liked his MachIV:

74bhp! He said it handled like it had 17 hinges in the frame. He loved it!

Nebraska's not THAT far away. Sounds like your wife would be glad you were gone for a week or so. It would give her a chance to clean out that garage! Maybe refurnish the house!

Kin you say, 'New Kitchen!!'? :wink:
yeah, for real!! first bike was a '68 kaw c2tr, first street was a '73 honda cl350.

i have logged a lot of street miles in the last 30 years... love the vulcan!

wish i could see you on that cb with the apes!!! :cool:

love those kaw 2T triples... what a bike! :blink:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

NICE RZ and H-Bomb!!!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The RZ has the faring cut off. That's too bad.

It does have a Toomey re-work..pipes/jetting/filter. It has a couple of EGTs on it!

Less than 15,000 miles.

I really REALLY miss that buzzsaw noise out'a one'a those things. Still get to hear it from the Banshee..but it would be delightful to hear it on the street, too.

Yanno. It's only money. If I don't spend what I don't have...The Gov'mint will take it away from me anyway. After the BLM meeting last night over their 'management' plan for Johns Peak..I'm thinkin' I might meet an untimely end sooner'n I think. SOMEbody's gonn'a get hurt up there.

Consider the source