Electrical Conversion '97 > '04

Got questions? We got answers....
tas_wolf
Supporting Member

Electrical Conversion '97 > '04

Post by tas_wolf »

Hey Guys,

I will try and make this post as short as I can but I can feel it getting long! My '97 KDX200 spat the big end rod bearing, destroying the entire motor, or requiring complete rebuild at least. So I decided to go the cheaper option, being on a tight budget to rebuild using second hand parts. I got a nice low hrs '04 bottom end, and an '01 barrel which has been sleeved and I will have bored for an oversize piston. So far so good. Now the fun starts, out of this whole lot, everything bolts up nicely, except the magneto and stator which appears to be completely different from the newer models, including the stator cover. So I have bought a '04 model stator and cover to get me out of trouble, but the '04 has 3 wires whereas the '97 has 6. I have wiring diagrams for both but I would like some assistance before I go and rewire the loom to the stator. The bike only needs spark, head light and tail light the rest has been removed as its off road only. Would love it if someone can take a look at these diagrams and make some suggestions! The pics are of the '97 stator and diagrams are of both, the less complex one being the newer version which I need to achieve. The last pic is of the '04 bottom end.

Cheers,

tas_wolf
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Wow, thats completely different than the way the US spec KDX's magneto looks. Am I understanding that you bought a magneto setup that looks like this Image? If so it shouldn't be that difficult to adapt the wiring to your new setup. Can you provide a higher res copy of the KDX J1 wiring diagram. Its a little hard to read some of the text on it.

Thanks

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
tas_wolf
Supporting Member

Post by tas_wolf »

Hi Maurice thanks for the reply yes the stator I got is the same as in your picture. After a lot of reading and researching it seems my stator is only coming from 2 models, im not sure if its Australian only or not as most aussie bikes are the same as pictured above. i just got unlucky there i think. I will post up a hi-res copy tonight of the diagram. cheers for the help!
tas_wolf
Supporting Member

Post by tas_wolf »

Hopefully this is better! If I can get this wiring sorted I will have the bike back together and cant start to run the engine in on the weekend :)

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You need the parts to match the newer stator, right?

Take #11 as an example, listed as a 'Regulator Rectifier'. The US H model uses no such thing. It uses an AC regulator..only has two wires going to it as shown in your simpler diagram.

Whether your 'CDI' box can be rewired to the newer trigger, I don't know. I can't see from either of your 'complicated' wiring versions what's going on there. All you need is the two exciter wires, a kill, a ground, and the feed to the hi-voltage coil. But...in the Aussie model, one CDI wire goes to the rear light?

I'd guess the two (Aussie CDI and newer 'H' model CDI that has BOTH sides of the exciter coil fed to it) may not be 'compatible'. The 'H' input is isolated, the Aussie is tied to frame ground.

Use an 'H' regulator and an 'H' CDI, you'll be all set. Problem with that plan is that a new CDI ain't going to be cheap. Used CDI's aren't generally cheap, either.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
tas_wolf
Supporting Member

Post by tas_wolf »

OK from what I can see, the newer magneto is internally rectified, which makes redundant the rectifier on the 1997 diagram. Knowing this I can now see which which wires mate up where and what colours translate to what, Im going to go and have a go at wiring it and will post results.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '...the newer magneto is internally rectified..'

:hmm:

I have no idea what that means..or is supposed to mean. Hopefully it makes sense to you.

There is NO rectification on the 'newer' magneto....'internally' or anywhere else on the bike. It runs on AC.

The newer setup is externally REGulated. 'External' meaning it has nothing to do with the magneto.

Sorry..I don't understand the statement to the extent I can even ask what it means....
:cry:

Consider the source

tas_wolf
Supporting Member

Post by tas_wolf »

Yes you probably are right, im not too good with electronics I assumed that since the regualator/rectifier in the 1997 diagram is not included in the newer diagram then it must be rectified in the magneto. By that i meant it goes through a bridge rectifier which changes the AC to DC. Im pretty confused now. I might have to bite the bullet and buy the corresponding CDI but I would love for someone to be able to make sense of it all if it can actually just be rewired.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If I may...and I assume that because there are so few wires on the newer 'schiz that you would remove half the wires of the Aussie model and it would work just as well!!

I'm trying to make a point. If you 'assume' and it works, that only means you made out with a lucky guess. There isn't any 'assuming' to be had. It has to be the right wire to the right place for the right reason, else it won't work, you'll start a small fire, or you will damage some component. Heck....maybe all three.

Re: '..it must be rectified in the magneto.'

That is incorrect. Presuming there to be the NEED of a rectifier is incorrect...there is none.

There is a schematic of an older CDI from Jaguar in my gallery. Find it. I have one of his modified CDIs..I've never attempted to wire into my bike because it's obviously 'different'. Maybe his diagram would be of use to you, maybe not.

Re: 'By that i meant it goes through a bridge rectifier which changes the AC to DC.'

At this point you should understand...there is no bridge (full wave), there is no 1/2 wave, there is no diode no where that does any rectification. You know that because the newer schematic shows no such thing, and, as a by the way...because I've said so a few times. Give up on the rectification part, 'eh.

With a meter, a diagram, I suppose it's possible. What you don't know is what is happening INside the CDI. Assuming they can be swapped because they have the same number of wires at their corresponding conectors is at the least a fool's errand.

Good luck. I don't have anything else to say about any of this...and I certainly don't have the same thing to say again.

Consider the source

tas_wolf
Supporting Member

Post by tas_wolf »

OK mate thanks for the clarifications there. By the way I now have spark, your totally right about the fools errand but im sitting there with a bunch of wires and a CDI which could be as good as useless to me, thinking im going to have to buy the right one anyways so if it fries then im not out of luck by much. I wont post the results how I got spark its probably too unorthodox and might fry someone elses setup if they try it out so as always its best to do things they way they were designed.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Nothing wrong with experimentation if you can deal with the possible consequences. Experience is the best teacher, they say.

...which has nothing to do with whether it's an easy teacher...or not.

It probably fits in there somewhere with another oft used adage regarding the achievement of knowledge...from the school of hard knocks!

There's only five wires..and you know what the functions of them are. Fortunately, nary a one of them is input power from the regulator. Power in the wrong spot can fry things real easy.

Good luck!

Consider the source