KDX250 Question (Newbie) I need a little help!

Got questions? We got answers....
nearma12

KDX250 Question (Newbie) I need a little help!

Post by nearma12 »

I am getting ready to buy a 1991 KDX250. I have been looking for a KDX for a while. Originally, I was looking for a 200, but someone had a 250 that they gave me a great deal on. I am going to use the bike for trail riding. The place I go is an OHV park with tight trails and lots of big hills. My question is, is the KDX250 going to do as well as the KDX200 on these trails? I realize that the 250 weighs about 10 lbs more, but will it handle well, does it make good low-mid power? I am really looking forward to riding that beast after I get it today. Thanks in advance for any input.
Last edited by nearma12 on 09:11 pm Feb 22 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Um.... well.... It was known to be a beast... and I want one. But not for the tight twisties. The turning radius is not as tight, they are top heavy, weigh more etc but if your a big man, you shouldn't have any trouble with it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I have one and power has never been a problem. It feels like it weight alot more than 10 lbs more. I would get the front suspension set first. I think it came stock for a 125 lb rider. I double that and needed to go stiffer. I don't know if KX forks would slide right in or not, never tried it.

I can ride around in 2nd and 3rd gear for almost all day and maybe need to feather the clutch a little. The steering isn't as tight as Inda said. You will love it on the hills, just walks up there and can go low like a 4-stroke. The problem is it isn't a 200 or a KX 250. Sometimes it is hard to find parts for it. Seat covers and plastic mainly. You will get familiar with crosschecking the Kawi site when ordering out of mags and cats. It was the exact same bike for the entire run in the early 90s so if you can Ebay parts they don't have to be year specific.

PS where are you in IL?
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
nearma12

Post by nearma12 »

>|<>QBB<
radonc73 wrote:I have one and power has never been a problem. It feels like it weight alot more than 10 lbs more. I would get the front suspension set first. I think it came stock for a 125 lb rider. I double that and needed to go stiffer. I don't know if KX forks would slide right in or not, never tried it.

I can ride around in 2nd and 3rd gear for almost all day and maybe need to feather the clutch a little. The steering isn't as tight as Inda said. You will love it on the hills, just walks up there and can go low like a 4-stroke. The problem is it isn't a 200 or a KX 250. Sometimes it is hard to find parts for it. Seat covers and plastic mainly. You will get familiar with crosschecking the Kawi site when ordering out of mags and cats. It was the exact same bike for the entire run in the early 90s so if you can Ebay parts they don't have to be year specific.

Thanks for the info. I am from Mattoon, IL. (East Central)

PS where are you in IL?
nearma12

Post by nearma12 »

Just got the KDX250 home. Here are some pics. There are 2 things that I need to work on. First, the kick starter does not want to engage most of the time. It seems like the gears aren't catching and the lever goes straight to the ground most of the time. Second, the clutch seems to be stuck. When the bike is in gear, the wheel won't spin, it just drags when I push it. Has anyone else encountered problems like this on the KDX? I am pretty good with mechanics in general, but I'm new to the KDX 2-Stroke world. Anyone have any advice? Thanks

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks like you may need a heavier spring in the rear.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Ive got the same bike. Not wanting to roll good in gear, while not running is normal. PM me if you have any specific questions. Rick.
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Mountainman650

Post by Mountainman650 »

Congrats on the bike , They are a lot of fun.I have a 94'.
Here's a site with some usefull info for your bike.
http://www.garage.whatburns.com/KDX2.htm
94' KDX 250