Exhaust system vs riding style

Got questions? We got answers....
ben herr

Exhaust system vs riding style

Post by ben herr »

IF THIS SUBJECT HAS BEEN BEAT TO DEATH I APOLOGIZE UP FRONT. QUESTION - WHAT EXHAUST SYSTEM (EXHAUST AND SILENCER) DO YOU USE, WHAT RIDING STYLE DO YOU DO ( MOTO,WOODS, DESERT), AND ARE YOU SATISFIED WITH IT? :prayer:
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Ben, I got the FMF woods pipe. I like the torqueyness of it, but I'd like to try my bike with a rev pipe too. I can see where it would be nice to swap pipes depending on if you're going to ride the tight twisties, or open range. One thing to note though is if you're going to go with a rev pipe, you might want to get a Pro-Circuit. I haven't heard anyone complain about their fit, but FMF seems to have spotty quality in that area. Mine is pretty tough to get on and off, even after I "modified" it with a mallet. If you go with the mods you listed on the intro page, I would say get a rev pipe. the bike will be plenty torquey with the reeds you plan to add.

Oh, and you might want to watch that caps lock, most folks consider that yelling... :wink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The general though on the pipe /SA combo is: (Based on the newer KDX200 and 220)

KDX200 in fast open terrain: the FMF Desert Pipe (has a -30 designation)
KDX200 in tight woods terrain: the FMF Woods Pipe (has the -35 designation)
KDX200 in mix or you just like to ride the bike in the upper rpm range: The FMF Desert Pipe

KDX220: Most folks claim that since this bike is tuned for low end performance to begin with, then the desert pipe is the best way to go regardless of riding terrain. I disagree. If you like riding tight woods and rarely get out of 3rd or sometimes 4th gear, then go for the woods pipe. Especially if you get the Air Stryker carb from RB Designes.

For the Silencer the Turbine Core II is the primary instrument since it has the spark arrestor (SA) and most places require one.

There are probably other opinions so don't make your decision until you've heard rebuttal!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
ben herr

Post by ben herr »

Sorry about the caps. I really wasn't shouting. See, we just got electricity up here and I'm still trying to figure out how to make this thing go. :shock:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

And now for a completely BIASED opinion!

RB carb mod with a FMF Rev pipe, TC II , and DFIII's is a magical combination! Torque and topend is the order of the day... I believe it works well on the 200 because of the extra compression the 200 has and the modded carb and DFIII reeds makes up for the torque pipe, torque ring, and reduced gearing.

IMO... the ultimate setup. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: What Inda said....

The common point of view regarding 2-hunnys is what Ski said. If all you're looking for is a pipe, that point of view stands.

IF you are going the way of Inda (ALL those parts), the -30 on the 200 is an excellent choice no matter what you're riding in.

I swapped from one pipe to the other (-30/-35) for years depending on where I was going riding. After the combo Inda lists (well, the DFII is what started it...the DF3 was a large improvement) I found the -30 to work just fine everywhere.

Works great!

Oh..a one-step change in the wrong direction in most any carb circuit can have a BIG effect. Proper jetting really shines with all that bolt on stuff!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

My 2 cents:
My combo (220, -30, TCII, RB carb and head work using the second SS, DF3 reeds) is amazing. The low end is significantly better than stock, the top end is way better than stock. Everything in between is better. Jetting is perfect in every range. Stinger is clean, after 4 hours the plug looks great with the perfect black ring, even the beer taste better, life is good.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Not much talk about the Pro Circuit pipes on the KDXs. I put a PC 2 on boy's bike (new KDX 200) and got my first descent ride on it today. About 50 miles with about half of that on single track. Only the very low trails are open here since significant snow is still covering anything above about 6000 feet.

The PC2 is suppost to be comparable to the FMF torque pipe. I believe it is actually a little higher reving pipe than the FMF torque pipe. So far I pleased with it. I'm actually jetted quite a bit richer than those of you with FMF pipes - don't really know what that means other than just an observation. Left on the stock silencer also which could play a role in the perceived higher rev out on the PC2.

Quess the question should be asked - for those of you who purchased an FMF torque pipe and left on the stock silencer: is your overall jetting in line with others on this forum other forums?
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

IC... I agree that the PC pipe is a "mid" pipe. Runs out higher than a FMF Torque and has more torque than a FMF rev.
I had one on my 92.... well made pipe but wasn't too impressed in any one area... a good all around pipe though... and it will fit.

To FMF's credit... My pipe fits perfect. I was apprehensive about FMF's quality control but my experience is that I will take another chance on them next time too. The FMF rev has more torque than stock and is amplified by the RB modded carb and DFIII. I feel it is just as torqy as a well jetted bike with good reeds and a FMF Torque but will absolutely haul balls when you wick the throttle...

There's alot more to write on this subject and I will help if anyone needs clarification on any of my points....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Indawoods wrote:IC... I agree that the PC pipe is a "mid" pipe. Runs out higher than a FMF Torque and has more torque than a FMF rev.
I had one on my 92.... well made pipe but wasn't too impressed in any one area... a good all around pipe though... and it will fit.
I've got the same PC pipe on my 89. It is mostly a mid pipe as Inda says. It is of course completely different than the PC pipe for the 95+ bikes.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I could be wrong but it was my understanding the ProCircuit" 2" pipe for KDXs just came out in the last year or two. 18 guage steel like the FMF gnarly and patterned to closely duplicate the power output of the FMF torque pipe. Am I wrong?

It seems to work well overall but I was expecting a little more low end grunt. I may need to have RB's divider plate installed to help out the low end. Still playing with the jetting right now.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

IC... if your close on jetting and you want a little more grunt.... try dropping the counter-sprocket to a 12 tooth. 'course... you proly knew that....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Thanks Indawoods - right now we are running a 13/50 gearing. The grunt I'm looking for is predictable wheeley power at very low speed. The bike will wheely first and second and with a slight tug in third while in the power band and certainly wheely in 3, 4, and even 5 gear over water bars, etc. Not a problem if on asphalt, lawn, higher speed single track, etc.

It is the very low speed 8-10 inch log crossing in fairly dense woods where I find the power band a little bit too high in the rpm range to comfortably jump a log and avoid trees, etc. on the other side. It may be that I've been spoiled with the 380 over the last few years - I don't need to touch the clutch - just need to be careful with the throttle. I'm trying to do the same with the 200 and maybe it is not possible. Even going to try some triple taper KTM needles to see if I can get an initial fuel curve boost.

Looking for the very low speed hit that comes on predictably somewhat like running with a rich pilot jet. Actually tried a richer pilot jet set-up but then the hit is alot more uncontrollable depending upon how long you have been stuffing excess fuel into the crankcase.

Have I lost everyone with my ranting? LOL

RB carb mods is looking better all the time!! :mrgreen:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

IdahoCharley, I don't have a 95+ KDX, but I know what pipe you are referring to. It is the "Platinum 2". As best I know, it did indeed come out in the last few years. PC makes 2 pipes for 95+ and so does FMF. For 1989 - 1994, each just makes one.

If you have been riding a 380, then yes you have been spoiled. I hereby declare that you should ride a TT-R125 for a few rides before getting back on the KDX. That will put your opinion balance right in the middle again. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Jason - Actually I do ride a TTR 125 L occasionally. When we wash the bikes I like to ride them around a little after to dry them out. Neighbors think I'm completely nuts (but that is OK) especially when the kids had ZR50's and they would see me drive around the block. Sometimes you just see them shake their heads or smile. :butthead:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You need to go lop hopping on the TT-R125 though. :grin:

I think you are just used to the 380. I think you can tune the KDX for more low end hit than what you have now, though. I like stuff that I can pop a wheelie over without clutching it, soI know what you mean. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128