3rd times a charm: bought another KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
firffighter
Supporting Member

3rd times a charm: bought another KDX

Post by firffighter »

Well after taking the KTM out for its 4th ride, I realized it was just not the right bike for me and I began to long for the KDX again. So, I found a local guy who wanted the KTM for his 19 yr. old son and they had a very nice 220 they wanted to trade.

It is an '02, pretty much stock except gripper seat, airbox lid removed, UNI filter and Acerbis bark busters.

I should have never gotten ride of my '97 220, but in the end it all worked out and I ended up with a newer 220 and the KX80 for my oldest son.

Glad to be back on green and I hopefully have learned my lesson this time and will be staying on the perfect woods machine for a very long time.
'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Welcome back... now sit there until your Ma and I say ya can get up! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Sorry :oops:

I should have learned my lesson the first time when I sold my '92 to get a 4-stroke :rolleyes:
'
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

But...but...but....I thought everything was honky donky with the punkin.

I'm probably mixing up punkin riders.

'Cept for this..found buried deep in the archives...from a couple WEEKS back.
After 2 rides on it, I am in love.
...and
The biggest thing is the suspension... The 50mm conventional WP's are the cats meow.
What the heck happened? It's not like some dealership came and repossesed some $9,000 bike. Yours was only $1500!

What happened to your '92 200? The one that was for sale 'again' with the 750 miles on it?

You DO git around, son.

You're still due a trip down south. Come ride in The State of Jefferson!!

..if'n you don't have an ElectraGlide by the time the snow melts......

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Well the suspension was nice on that orange bike for sure and the first 2 rides were in open desert and the bike ripped it up. But, my last ride with my 3 sons in the tight stuff was what convinced my that I wanted the KDX back. The KTM does not like to putt and the close ratio gearing in the tight stuff was not fun.

I did get the KTM for $1500 and so trading straight for this '02 220 seemed like a good deal to me.

My old '92 sold before I could get it back and I decided that I wanted another 220 because everyone knows they are far superior to the 200's!

And yes, if do any more wheelin and dealin, my wife will file papers. I keep telling her that I havent spent any money, just swappin bikes, but she wont buy it. :lol:

But, like I said, after all of the horse swappin' I ended up with a nice 220 and the boys big wheel. In the end 2 bikes for 1 worked out fine. :wink:

And yes, I am due a trip down there. Last year you all planned it during the Monkeybutt harescramble weekend though. You guys ever ride Jacksonville? I noticed there is a OMRA harescramble there again this year. Sounds like fun.
'
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Please: A further explanation on what you didn't like about the close ratio trans? I didn't read back through earlier posts to check..but, how many gears did the punkin have? Doesn't 'close' go with 6 and 'wide' go with 5?

I don't understand some of the complaints riders have between the two. Seems 'close' would be better for the woods than 'wide'...and 'close' a PITA if you were Mr. TrackMan.

Seeing as most of the 'close/wide' choices are in bigger bikes that have so much power it hardly matters what gear you're in. Hence..I don't get it.

Rode with a YZ250 last summer..5 speed. Our r's matched perfectly in top gear (regardless of speed), though. I thought that was odd. I mean....what are the chances of that working out?

Back to..uh...where was I? :hmm:

Planned 'it'? We ride most every weekend 'til fire season kicks us out of the woods, so there's hardly a single 'it' you need to worry about. Keep in touch...pick some weekend...we'll show you around likely as much as you wanna ride.

Ride J'Ville? Used to all the time..up 'til the last couple years. It got way too crowded, ripped to snot and generally unpleasant. Don't know what the Timber Mt. date is this year. There was snow on the ground last year:

http://www.bikebarnmc.com/post.cfm/2008 ... -scrambles

I'm sure the dates are posted on the motorcycleridersassoc.com site.

The people running the whole mess (the rider's association, the race) aren't folks I care to have anything to do with. After years of spending vacation time and many hundreds of hours course flagging and helping with various events on Johns Peak (from cutting firewood to pulling ribbon, to riding sweeps, to picking up trash) I was told by one of the 'new' pukes that I didn't have any business saying anything about how things were going seeing as I hadn't volunteered any time. Guess they won't mind doing it without my help, then.

Any trip you made down here would certainly include a day on Johns Peak (Jacksonville as you called it). Start lookin' over your calendar!

Fire season varies a LOT. As early as first of May..as late as mid-July. Don't know about this wear...what with all the global warming yanno.

Consider the source

firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Geez, were's the support. At least I got another KDX. I was looking at a thumper for a while.

Maybe we should have a KTM anonymous program. "Hello, my is Russ, I am a former KTM owner. I havent ridden a KTM in 2 months now."

Sounds like Timber Mt. wouldnt be the race of choice then. The Monkeybutt was a lot of fun though and I will hitting that event again this year. Washington State has a 4-5 event enduro race series that uses the old time keeper rules. My brother and I are going to try a few of those this year as well.

How long of a trip is it to John's Peak from Portland?
'
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Roughly 4.5 hrs between Portland and Medford.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Unless m0rie's sister is driving...then it's a couple hours.

Where's the support??!! I SAID you're still WELCOME to come down for a ride, didn't I? Sheesh... Where's the GRATITUDE!!?? for past sins forgiven?

TMHS is a nice ride. I decided it wasn't for me when a rider I passed early in the race..and never saw again..finished some ten minutes before I did! There WERE a couple of kiss spots where turns only a few feet apart had a 20 minute mess between 'em. It never occurred to me to just save all that time!! Judging from the tracks between the two spots...somebody thought it was a good idea.

I figgered I could ride up there any time I wanted. To pay a fair hunk of change to ride..and against riders of that sort...who needs it?

Not me.

I took my ball and went home. Haven't ridden a race event up there since.

I'm sure that wouldn't ever happen again. :neutral: Yep..I'm sure!!

Consider the source