2 questions

Got questions? We got answers....
ChuckyBoy

2 questions

Post by ChuckyBoy »

I've got a couple easy questions for y'all.

First, is the correct routing of the throttle cable on a 98 220 supposed to be in front of ...or behind...the petcock?

Second, I know many folks have experienced the dreaded hairline fracture around the filler neck of the gas tank.

But...has anyone continued to use it that way?

Has anyone actually had the filler neck snap off or even crack to the point where sloshing fuel has leaked?

I guess that's more than a couple!

Thanks.
Chuck
I won't buy into the 4 stroke craze until they make me!
clutchcover
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by clutchcover »

1. Mine is behind
2. Never had the crack, but gascap keeps cracking on mine.
97 Kdx200
Summuda goodies.... But not quite enough.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Mine is behind also which is what the manual states.
Mine has a hairline crack but doesn't leak, YET. (touch wood)

Clutchcover:

Don't tighten it so much (maybe), I have also cracked 2 caps. This last one has lasted me a while as I quit wrenching it down.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Mine is behind the petcock as well. I had the crack in the filler. It would take some sort of unusual hit to rip it off. I was just careful not to tighten my cap so as not to pull on it any more. Unless it is leaking fuel, I can't see the harm in running it that way, but since Kawasaki is honoring free replacement, why risk it? Stop in at your dealer and have them call. You will need your registration and some other I.D. so Kawasaki can tell if this particular bike has already had it's tank replaced. My dealer wasn't very co-operative. He didn't think that a 1999 would fall under any coverage. I insisted he humor me and call anyway. 3 weeks later, the new tank arrived. If you do get a replacement tank, hang onto the old one. Some folks strip out the inserts. It may come in handy some day.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
wsjkawasaki
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wsjkawasaki »

sorry to hear about the filler neck,mine is cracked also and i tried calling kawasaki about it but they didnt seem to know what i was talking about and told me that if there wasn't a recall they could do nothing. as for my tank i will run it like it is and see what happens!!! good luck!!! :grin:
shane j.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I got the Customer Service number off of the Kawi website.

949-460-5688

When I called, they told me I would have to go through the dealer and have them call Kawa tech. That's the secret 800 no. dealers only have.
The guy on the phone told me this would be a "good will waranty" check. My dealer called after he looked at it and said he would order me a new one since Kawasaki will cover the replacement as long as it's not from a crash.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for posting that information, skipro3. wsjkawasaki, get your tank and go.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I put an extra 94 (93-95 are the same) YZ cap on my KDX when it cracked. Same thread....

http://216.37.204.205/Yamaha_OEM/Yamaha ... &A=79&B=25
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
ChuckyBoy

Post by ChuckyBoy »

Thanks for all the replies.

My throttle cable runs behind the petcock as well. I thought I may have had it routed wrong.

In regards to the filler neck, I'm glad to hear that no one has ever had one actually break all the way off.

I think taking the tank to the dealer is not an option. I'm the second owner of the bike and when I bought it, the seller threw in two more tanks as extras. I have no idea which one is the original tank.

All three of the tanks have issues. One leaks from the upper shroud insert, the other is cracked and leaks near the petcock, and the tank that is mounted on the bike has a crack around the filler neck.

I guess with the newer black tanks Kawasaki has addressed the cracking issues. I don't know why Clarke and/or IMS don't make replacement tanks for the late model stockers. I would think with all the grean and purple tanks that have gone bad they could make a fortune.

Thanks again and happy trails!
Chuck
I won't buy into the 4 stroke craze until they make me!
Tim_from_AZ

Post by Tim_from_AZ »

My 01 didn't come with the original tank either. It's purple so I think that was a 96? Anyhow, I was out of luck with the dealer since I didn't have the original tank. Mine was cracked at the filler neck and leaked bad until the tank was half empty. I tried all kinds of epoxy but nothing would hold so I ended up taking it to a plastic fabrication shop I found in the yellow pages. They welded up the crack for $15. It doesn't leak a drop now!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Here's an update for 'ya! (Finally remembered to look). I recalled the routing to be other than stated..but didn't want to merely interject with no basis.

re: 'My throttle cable runs behind the petcock as well. I thought I may have had it routed wrong. '

You thought correctly (according to my service manual). :wink:

My bonafide for-real Kawasaki manual cleary shows the throttle cable running IN FRONT of the petcock.

Or...when you are looking at the petcock, you see the cable 'before' you see the petcock.

Or....the cable is further leftwards than the petcock?

And..that's how mine is routed.

I tried it the other way once (an error in put-together). It doesn't fit as well as when it is placed as specified. Furthermore, it's a whole lot easier to take the top off the carb (needle/clip changes) with the cable run as specified.

Oh...I'm not referring to a write up in the manual..but the routing diagrams in the front of the manual.

Do I have to post the page from the manual for you other-wise saying folks?

...I have a hunch it may show different routes in different versions. I think I've heard that before............

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Mine is routed in front of the petcock also. I put it together one time behind the petcock (on accident) and like CC stated, it made it harder to mess with the needle. But in all actuality I don't think it really matters.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

C'mon Moto!! We 'in fronts' have to stick together!! Of course it matters!! :wink:

It was shortly after running the throttle cable to the right (behind) the petcock that I found my throttle cable to literally be hanging by a single strand of wire!

Obviously, the routing kilt my cable!!

..and that's all hogwash, folks. My cable was just due to die anyway, probably. My housing was definitely less 'loose' than when run 'in front' of the petcock.

I did try moving the cable to different positions in other spots to resolve that...didn't find another routing that worked.

BTW...don't bother with the 'lube your cables' retorts. I've been all over that idea through the years...have found that nothing works as well as just leaving them alone. You folks are more than welcome to lubricate the pee-wah out of all of your cables every time you ride. My IMO and all...... :rolleyes:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

I've read reports and have seen the dyno results that definitively state that running the cables IN FRONT of the petcock increases HP and torque 27%. I've also read in some less scrupulous rags that you will jump farther and land softer with the cable routed in front but I doubt their data gathering and analyzing methodologies. You decide.

Mark :lol:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Mark W wrote:I've read reports and have seen the dyno results that definitively state that running the cables IN FRONT of the petcock increases HP and torque 27%. I've also read in some less scrupulous rags that you will jump farther and land softer with the cable routed in front but I doubt their data gathering and analyzing methodologies. You decide.
That must have been the same dyno that showed a 2 HP increase just by running a MX rear fender... :mrgreen:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

After reading CC's strong, clear, and precise logic as to why the cable must be routed in front of the petcock. I here by retract my earlier statement about it not mattering which way the cable is run. :lol:

Oh BTW "In Fronts" UNITE :supz:
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

My cable is also normally routed in front of the petcock. I did try it behind the petcock once...I'm pretty sure I did it that way because of a picture in the factory service manual. Well, like the others said, it didn't seem to fit as well, and made it darned near impossible to pull the cap off to get to the needle.

...That said, I'm for the In Fronts!
Keep It Simple Stupid
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Mine is in front too as well also it is. I figure it's easier to take the slide out, then tilt it back in to get to the bowl. This along with the RB stickers is definitely worth 2- 45 hp gain
Last edited by bradf on 08:00 am Apr 29 2005, edited 1 time in total.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine is wireless.... 802.11G! :razz:

I have never thought about it... I think mine is behind the petcock... seems that's the way it should go since the petcock is a user part. Now I gotta go look...thanks! :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's behind.... You know... you'd think there would be one thing that you could do without the manual there.... :shock:

MANUAL: Get it...use it... live it!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "