What kind of Reeds are these?

Got questions? We got answers....
ThePearl

What kind of Reeds are these?

Post by ThePearl »

I took out the reed cage just to take a look since I just bought a 2002 KDX 200 in the fall. I had no idea what was in it for reeds. I still don't know. I can't tell by looking. Here they are.

I don't know if they are originals or aftermarket, good or bad. They look good, but what do I know. I've never seen Reeds before.
2002 KDX 200
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

Can I use carb cleaner on these?
2002 KDX 200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

They're two-stage...fiberglas (not carbon)..which makes them Boyesen power reeds.

OEM reeds are NOT two-stage (not layered as in your pics), bit single pieces of fiberglas.

But...the reed stops you have are OEM. They're not supposed to be there. Boyesen reed stops are just strips of metal the screws go through.

Considering the cost of a set of power reeds..and that you don't have the 'stops' that Boyesen reeds came with..and that you don't know how long they've been on the cage..I'd replace them.

Reeds are failed when they delaminate or start to fray at the edges. That you can see. What you can't see is whether the reed tension is OK. Again, considering the cost...just put on new ones.

Reeds should be replaced BEFORE there is any visual evidence of failure.

Put the supplied Boyesen stops on when you get your new ones.

Re: 'carb cleaner...'

Sure. But, since you're replacing them anyway...why bother? :wink:

Make sure you put them back in RSU...right side up. They will go in USD..up side down just well. But, they won't work 'fer diddle. That 'tab' on the cage? It goes to the outside. THAT lines up the white phenolic air guide with the intake boot. (this applies to the reed cage..not the reeds themselves. There is no RSU or USD to them as far as putting them ON the cage. That is intuitively obvious to even the casual observer, 'eh)
Last edited by canyncarvr on 11:11 pm Feb 14 2009, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Kinder looks like the stops are there

They just be under the stockers :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Dang! Good call Mr. Wibbens!! :prayer:

What the hell kind'a stoopid idea is that anyway? :lol:

I'd still replace 'em. I just took a look at the power reeds I took out of my bike a few years back. They were in for over a year..they aren't at all discolored as the above pics.

Hell...stop arguing with me and just replace the things!!

..use some thread locker on those screws! (uh...not red). And don't get any of it anywhere except on the threads of the screws.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

They look good to run to me

It'll sure make a difference without those stock stops! Best hold on tight! :supz:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks to me the Boyesen stops are UNDER the stock stops... :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

wow Inda!

yer purdy quick tonite! :partyman:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I get around.... :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

Took the reed stops off. Will this make much of a difference? Will I need to rejet?
2002 KDX 200