I want to try something with my frame

Got questions? We got answers....
morbidphil0622

I want to try something with my frame

Post by morbidphil0622 »

I'm not sure if anybody has done this or not but I've been thinking about just buffing the paint off my frame with a grinder and a whire wheel to give it the "brushed metal" look... Im sure that some people have done this prior to painting but I figured whats the point of painting it if its just going to rub off and chip anyways? Why not just leave it bare and shiny and just spray a lot of clear on it? I know that the clear will get rubbed off in some places creating rust spots but I think I can find a way to protect those places..

I guess I am just trying to get an opinion on weather or not it will look good. Perhaps someone has already tried this and I just couldn't find the thread in my searches? let me know what you guys think..
morbidphil0622

Post by morbidphil0622 »

anybody?? Oh well I guess it isnt a good idea.. The heck with it, i'm doing it anyways..
"There's nothing like being on the dirt.. Except for being in the air on my bike!!"
GS

Post by GS »

Post pics!!
morbidphil0622

Post by morbidphil0622 »

I will post pics when im done I just wanted to know if anybody has tried this one before..
"There's nothing like being on the dirt.. Except for being in the air on my bike!!"
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

I would not used a grinder, it will leave gouge marks. And if it hooks in while grinding, its going to make a weal spot when it digs in. I would check into using a chemical paint remover and then a wire brush.

I would expect it to take 3X longer than what you planned.

It would look cool, but if the bike is to be ridden some type of protectant needs to be applied on the frame. If just for show probably does not matter.

I would think that doing this would be basically be ruining the frame, just my 2 cents..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's not aluminum..it's not like it's going to be all shiny an purty even for a short time.

Anyway..I don't recall anyone that's gone that direction. Protection of the metal parts on a dirtbike is a tough enough job without stripping any protectant OFF it to start with.

The words, '..spray a lot of clear...' sounds like you intend to use a rattle can?

Curious..how much did you pay for this bike?

Good luck with it. Post up a pic when you're all done!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
morbidphil0622

Post by morbidphil0622 »

Well I tore the bike down to bare bones and pulled the motor. I went over a small spot on the frame and you are absolutley right.. It doesnt look too good at all. I just assumed it would since i work with a lot of steel at work and a buffing wheel or tiger disk makes it look purdy.. Anywho, I think I am just going to have it powdercoated since this seems to be the preferred method. Ill post the finished product..

Also, to answer your question i wasnt going to rattle can the clear I have a buddy with a gun and he will shoot it for me. I wouldnt mind having him paint it for me as well but not too sure how well the paint will hold on such an abused part..
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Well, I hate to admit this but I painted the frame on my hybrid with a rattle can. I stripped it down to bare metal, primered it, and then put on three light costs of semi-flat black. It didn't get ridden for about 10 days after that, so it probably had a little time to cure properly.

So far it is holding up very well. The only places it is wearing off is where my boots and knees rub. No one has ever asked me how I painted it. There aren't any drips, sags, etc on it anywhere. I was needing to get it done ASAP so I sprayed it with the plans to PC it later. If it keeps holding up I may wait a really long time to re-do it. Right now it doesn't need it, but something about using a can is giving me the feeling in the back of my mind that the bike is still a work in progress. I get that way, where little things like that will bug me until I do something about it. That will probably eventually be the reason I strip it down again and powder-coat it.

I would say that with any type of finish the prep work is the key. I worked my butt off getting it ready even for the can.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Nothin wrong with rattle can

With the exception of the tank and cowling, every other plastic piece on my BIG dirtbike has been painted with rattle can

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
morbidphil0622

Post by morbidphil0622 »

Sweet I was thinking about just doing a rattle can job last night. I was doing some research and duplicolor makes a paint called Metalcast. It gives polished aluminum and chrome more of an "anodized" look. However you can also use it on Plastic and other types of metal as long as you use the metalcast primer first. I also found a clear coat for wheels made by duplicolor as well. it is supposed to be oil, gas, chip resistant. Im sure it cant handle the full on battle of the crap we put our bikes through so I decided I am going to coat the underside of the frame with bed liner for more life.. It has been really humid and rainy here for the last few days so I think Im going to wait another week to get started but at least this will give me some time do do a little research on painting and such..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|QBB<[/url]
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Nothin wrong with rattle can

With the exception of the tank and cowling, every other plastic piece on my BIG dirtbike has been painted with rattle can

And what a beautiful choice of colors too Mr. Wibbens! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
morbidphil0622

Post by morbidphil0622 »

I rattle canned my stunt bike a few years ago and it turned out pretty good. I wasnt sure about it at first but after I wet sanded the topcoat and added clear it looked really good..
GreatBritishRob
Supporting Member

Post by GreatBritishRob »

I had a chat with my local graphics maker and managed to scrounge some sheets of the laminate they use. Its really sticky thick vinyl as MX graphics are but as its clear you obviously keep the colour of your bike. Its brilliant on the frame in high wear areas.
morbidphil0622

Post by morbidphil0622 »

wow thats such a great Idea I think I am going to try that as well.
morbidphil0622

Post by morbidphil0622 »

well as soon as I can figure out how to put pictures up here I will. I ended up painting the frame myself with the metalcast paints. I went with a black primer, the metalcast basecoat which is just a bunch of silver sparkles. Then I went over the basecoat with the red metalcast paint. It looks awsome its a really nice red with black and silver specks behind it.
I am going to let the paint cure for 7 days and then I am going to go over the frame with a really durable clear coat. about 3 or 4 coats should do. I also decided that after I get done with the paint I am going to mask off the entire frame except for the bottom side and the engine guards. I am going to coat the entire underside with bed liner. It might be a pain to do but i think it will work out better in the end.
I will post pics of the progress when I can figure it out..
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
GreatBritishRob wrote:I had a chat with my local graphics maker and managed to scrounge some sheets of the laminate they use. Its really sticky thick vinyl as MX graphics are but as its clear you obviously keep the colour of your bike. Its brilliant on the frame in high wear areas.
Any ski shop can sell you this stuff. It's used to keep the graphics on the top side of skis from getting torn up. It holds very well and is very flexible since it is made for skis and subject to cold and flexing. I've used it on dirtbike frame wear points and it's almost indestructible under those applications.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|QBB<[/url]
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Nothin wrong with rattle can

I see you have a can strapped to the front for touch ups. I guess that's for those really hot dates and picky young things??
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
morbidphil0622

Post by morbidphil0622 »

Here is the primed and painted frame.. came out quite nice wish I knew how to get the pictures bigger though..

Yea Yea I know the frame is red and with green its going to look like christmas, but it is most definently different plus I have a few other plans for colors and graphics...