kx 100 as good move up bike???

Got questions? We got answers....
chris-1742
Supporting Member

kx 100 as good move up bike???

Post by chris-1742 »

Hey guys, first I want to say I love this site and it is responsible for me getting Back into bikes ( 04 kdx 220r ) after many years. Your information, opinions and recommendations moved me directly to the 220.....the "grin factor" is awsome! Thanks!!

Now for the question...my kid has a DR-Z 125 with a few mods done (Jetted, Pipe, Air box), this is the small wheel version, and he has outgrown the bike ( 5`-5" 135 lbs.) We are looking at the next bike to go to that might fit for the next year or two. Looking at the KX 100 as opt.1

Not a real agressive rider yet but not afraid to open it up either. The type of riding is fire road, single track woods and general riding on double track (jeep trail).

What can be done to make the 100 work for this type of riding or do you guys have a better opt.?

Thanks is advance.

chris
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You've looked around, I s'pose..but stuff like this:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/18aug01k ... kx100.html

..is good reading.

Anyway..what to do to make it work? I have no idea. Don't own one. I don't recall offhand who on this site has a kid riding a KX100, either.

I have been in a kid-riding situation a couple of times. Begin with them having a desire to ride; some basic tactile ability and spatial awareness, and the rate at which they 'grow' (both physically and ability-wise) is amazing.

Ar 5'5"/135lb, isn't the KX100 going to be a real short stepping stone? One of the kids I have in mind (noted above) was on a KTM125 (with $4000 worth of RG3 forks stuck on it) by then. Darn good on it, too.

Comparison one way or the other isn't the point. Expecting the kid to step from a KX80 to a CRF450 isn't likely a good idea, but making him/her stretch a bit isn't a BAD idea, either!

Steahly lists 8,10, and 12oz. weights for the KX100. I'd think one'a them would be a worthwhile addition, and maybe more than one size as the rider progresses.

Good luck!

..and have fun!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The KX100 has quite a bit different power output than the DR-Z. I have one and ride it a fair bit, actually. I bought it for my wife, she thought she wanted to ride and to be fair gave it an honest effort.

I think CC is right- unless your boy has stopped growing he may outgrow this bike pretty quick. Then again, I watched some grown men racing in a super mini class and there were a couple of KX100's running, they did very well.

I sent my head and carb off to RBD. I was looking for a wider power band, more KDX like. I can't say I got that, but it is a bit better. The KX 100 motor is a screamer- nothing, not much, not much, front wheel coming up. :supz:

If you can get one cheap, I'd say it is a keeper even if your boy does outgrow it.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
chris-1742
Supporting Member

Post by chris-1742 »

Thanks, CC, I was thinking the weights might help mellow things out initially...remember he is coming from a "dogish" 4t to the 2t and I really don`t want to kill him.....yet. A FUN, capible, smooth power, confidence builder where he can start to hone the skills is the direction I was heading for.
You are right about the small stepping stone...I kinda figured this might be a short lived transition....but he really does not fit on the 125`s ( short legs) yet... I will reconsider the 125 class.
I also mis- spoke his size....he says 5`5"... actual 5`3...just measured.
Thanks for the link!
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Exactly..

The KTM 125 screamed plenty..but it wasn't the handful (I've read about) the KX100 is.

To get a 100cc motor to 'put out', it's going to have to be tuned to a gnat's butt, seems to me. I'm talking about engine design tune...not what jets you put in it.

Why not something bigger that's NOT so antsy?

Heck...I realize I have NO idea what got you to a KX100..and I don't have a kid that rides one, used to ride one, or ever will ride one.

...just thinkin' out loud......

Don't know where Marsing, ID is..but did you happen to see the pics of last fall's ride up Bitterroot way? There on this board..

Here's some of it......

We're gonn'a do it all over agin' this year!! Well, that's the plan for now, anyway.

Consider the source

chris-1742
Supporting Member

Post by chris-1742 »

Thanks Karl, I know of a 07 that has low miles, clean and not raced for $1900 , seemed fair but just started to look.

You both are right about the growth thing...hard to figure where they will be in a year....

Thanks!
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....
chris-1742
Supporting Member

Post by chris-1742 »

CC, are you "reppin" KTM?? I wil look into them over the weekend and see what they have to offer besides expensive.

Have you thought of writting books ie. "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"?? Some pretty funny stories over the posts.

Marsing is west of Boise 45 min. along the Snake River (elev. 2210) and 15 min. to some fun and senic ridding in the Owyhee mountains ( peak elev. 7500 ). Southern Utah canyon lands like...

Bike opt.2 was the KLX 140L but I believe the seat height was less and a 4t.

Sounds fun...the Bitterroots are a cool range!!
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm familiar with a kid that grew up from little stuff...ended up on a KTM125. I've ridden it so little, I don't recall much of anything about it.

I've got some seat time on a 200 punkin. Screamer..nimble..didn't turn 'fer diddle..a deathtrap without the Scotts..a murderizing seat (and it was replaced with a SOFTER one already).

Re: '...hard to figure where they will be in a year.... '

No it's not. 10X better...and prolly ahead'a YOU! :wink:

I seen it more'n once.

Owyhee is a place I've always wanted to see (dirt or street)..and never have. Dang...so many places...so little time. Maybe this year!!

You're not so far from where we were that you can't make it this year! Heck..it's in your back yard. Head up toward Featherville..and you're there!

Re: 'Some pretty funny stories...'

It's not nice to make fun of the mentally disadvantaged, the frail, the infirm, the OLD!, so kwitcher snickerin'!!

:wink:

Consider the source

chris-1742
Supporting Member

Post by chris-1742 »

Your right...I`m already watchin him while skiing...usually going into a pile of willows at speed though ...then asking for help out.

Can`t help the "snickerin" comes from the above...I know the OLD part though.

If you are coming this way, let me know, glad to show you around.
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....
dentvet
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dentvet »

is there enuf room in a small bike frame to do a kdx200/junior-bike hybrid?
chris-1742
Supporting Member

Post by chris-1742 »

I don`t know , personally, but that is the target bike for him, the 200. Maybe next season... with a lowering link, we`ll see.
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

5'3"? **** put him on a KDX

He's damn near as tall as Carvr!! :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
danfree

Post by danfree »

How about the Honda 150R? It has all kinds of hop up potential. Already built for the MX track, yet can probably be made into a great 'woods' bike. Though any real offroad bike will seem kind of tall for a kid. Sheesh, I'm only 5'7'' and the KDX makes me uncomfortable when it isn't moving. But I'm 48 yrs old and very aware of my riding abilities and limitations. Actually the 150 would probably suit me just fine. Good thing I have a decent sidestand, otherwise I wouldn't be able to climb up on it with my gear on.
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The punkin 125 I mentioned..that kid couldn't begin to touch the ground without having the opposite knee on the seat. He'd ride up to and stop next to a tree if he wanted to park it for awhile..otherwise, while riding, he kept his feet on the pegs. You know...where they're supposed to be? Seems to me, him being 'too short' simply taught him good riding skills...NOT bad habits.

Consider the source

bmcd308

Post by bmcd308 »

The KX100 has a very top end-y power delivery. I bought one for my fiancee based on reviews that raved about its low end power, but she finds the bike intimidating and difficult to ride. Note that she has been riding street bikes for a few years and came from a CRF100 for dirt. The CRF was too small for her, and the KX fits her well, but it does have very light switch power delivery.

We have done a number of things to help with this. The bike has a 12 oz Steahly FWW, which helped a little. It has a FMF Fatty, that may or may not have helped at all. I disabled the KIPS advance so that the exhaust valve stays in the low-rpm position, which helped a little with the feeling that the bike is going to take off.

In short, this is a MX bike designed for an MX racer. Its porting is not at all conducive to being a trail bike. It does have awesome brakes, suspension, and clutch, though.
chris-1742
Supporting Member

Post by chris-1742 »

Bmcd..Thanks for the honest input, you are describing what others have said also. I have moved away from the kx and have started to look for a later model (`03 - `05) kdx 200/220. It will still be a tad tall for him now but as CC said: it will teach him the skills needed.

Thanks all!
Old guy on 04 kdx 220
RB Carb and head
And all the rest.....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You CAN lower the KDX a tad. Yeah...anti-thetical to the 'no bad habits', but if you have to, you can.

Don't sell your kid short (pun intended).

I was talking with my B-I-L (whose kid I was referring to earlier) about the whole idea of getting a bike a kid could easily 'touch' on. He regaled me with a number of stories involving kids that got pretty good-n-busted up riding bikes like that. He's only been riding since he was about two...and his point was something I hadn't thought of. Kids generally ride too fast. They don't have any fear, for starters..and they often don't have a whole lot of sense, either. They're invincible!! The BEST thing you can teach him is to 'tuck-n-roll' when he biffs it...NOT stick his leg out!!

Figure well over 300#...and what is going to happen when a puny leg gets in the way of it going where it wants to go.

....at maybe 40mph to boot!

Consider the source

jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

All of those two-stroke minis are all top end. I rode our little KX65 once and discovered it had a very abrupt powerband - it really startled me. I occasionally get to ride an 85 or 100 out of a hole or creek bottom for some kid and am always shocked at how little bottom end these things have. I don't understand how the kids can even ride them on rough terrain, but they seem to enjoy them.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

'Cause when I was the age for a 65 (did have one) I could jettison myself down steep hils...Just for fun. I'd be in a full body cast now.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

My son has a KX80 bigwheel, same size as the KX100 and virtually the same motor. He is 13, and 5'0" and 95 lbs. He came off of an XR100 that he had ridden for about 2 years.

He is a good trail rider, but not aggressive and we mostly ride singletrack and 2 track. His KX has a FWW (8oz) and FMF fatty pipe. I have to disagree about the light switch power delilvery. His bike has a nice power delivery and he is able to lug it around all day with no problems. It does have some hit and it does not deliver its power as smoothly as say a stock KDX, but it is nothing too abrupt. My son commented after just 10 minutes on the bike that he never wanted a 4-stroke again.

The KX100 is the perfect "next step" bike IMO. My son with stay on his until he moves up to a full size KDX which wont be for several years. There is plenty of power and suspension to handle most teens and smaller adults. For the type of riding you have described and taking into consideration your sons ability and experience, I would highly recommend the KX100. You will probably find that he will adapt quickly to the 2-stroke and will appreciate the lighter weight, better suspension and easy starting. There is also a ton of info on these bikes and setting them up for kids over on thumpertalk.

There are several other tricks to tone down the power if you find he is overwhelmed as well. Some add a large flat washer in the exhaust port as a restrictor (been done by many dads in the past and proven to work well). Another frequently used trick is to add a throttle restrictor where the cable enters the carb (again been done many times).

Good luck. Hope this helps.
'