EXHAUST REPACK

Got questions? We got answers....
WOLFYMAN

EXHAUST REPACK

Post by WOLFYMAN »

FIXEN TO DO MY SONS AND MINE IS THERE ANYTHING THAT I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE I START. ANYTHING THAT I NEED FROM THE OLD PACKING THAT I NEED TO KEEP. THANKS FOR ANY HELP
WOLFY
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Anything you need to know?

Guess that depends on what you know now.

Some 2T packing, allen wrenches, masking tape, RTV silicone, a wire brush..that should do it.

Nothing is kept from the old packing.

If you end up with much of anything of the new packing left over, you need to re-think your procedure. It'll all fit in there.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
WOLFYMAN

Post by WOLFYMAN »

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.
WOLFY
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

A bit off topic but I use "house insulant" instead of "real motorcycle packing". Any reason not to do it? Never used the "real stuff" cuz I'm too cheap, just wondered what the differences are aside the price.
I usually repack 3-4 times a year and can't notice any difference performance wise before/after repacking ...
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Here's a tip.

Never ever drink beer then get the big idea to repack your muff. I was half shizt-faced and started repack'n the muff, sitting on a stool, WITH SHORTS ON and did it on my lap.

Beer wears off, fiberglass stays put in your legs for days.

04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

I used house insulation for exhaust repack once for the very same reason, cheap. It lasted about a month. Just spend the money and do it right the first time.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Masking tape ?

Fiberglass ?

:?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
NewMexico505 wrote:I used house insulation for exhaust repack once for the very same reason, cheap. It lasted about a month. Just spend the money and do it right the first time.
Ditto.

It don't work.

'Don't work' meaning it doesn't last, it does burn, it doesn't...well..work.

I tried 4T packing once, too. It didn't work, either.

BTW, there is a lot assumed here.

There is NO information as to what is expected to be repacked except 'exhaust'..which tells no one anything. NOT all 'exhaust' can be repacked and some pack differently from others.

Wibby's completely senseless post is likely referring to the fact that he likes to use the string stuff. That product isn't going to work in an 'H' or 'A' model TCII or PC S/A unless you repack by taking the arrestor out and leaving the silencer portion intact.

Good luck with that. I tried it once..ruined the entire unit. The arrestor came out only with severe damage to it and the cannister. That has not been the case every time it's been tried.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I, too, have tried the insulation fiberglass and agree with those above - don't waste your time. Maybe there's some "grade" of the stuff that might be more useful but don't know where to find it.

The Moose Racing 2T packing works fine and is a shade cheaper than the FMF stuff (one of my few successes with Moose Racing products). I don't know which (Moose or FMF) has a greater longevity because I change packing out probably 4 times a year and they look about the same - goo on the inside of the wrap, fairly clean on the outside. I always wonder if I'm doing it right because some directions say to wrap "snugly", some "tightly", a matter of subjectivity I think, so I change often.

I used "Lexx 2-stroke packing" once. You can find it on Rockymountainmc. Very dense, looks more like batting. I had trouble installing it because I tried to shove too much in there but it seemed to work well. Anybody try the stuff?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!