What changes from "E" series to "H"

Got questions? We got answers....
firffighter
Supporting Member

What changes from "E" series to "H"

Post by firffighter »

Besides new chassis, what other changes took place from the E series to the H.

Just curious.

My old '92 KDX200 with 700 original miles on it just came up for sale. I sold it after I had her set up pretty nice. Now I am thinking I might want her back!
'
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I have been looking into this for quite some time just from curiosity. I have been trying to determine what parts of the engine differ. I have poured over schematics and exploded diagrams of both engines. From what I can tell the only difference is the cylinder, head, and power valve actuating rod. It looks to me that for all intents and purposes the bottom end is exactly the same. It looks like the only thing you would need to install a 95+ top end on a 89-94 bottom would be the actuating rod for the power valve. The lower half of it is even the same, as is the actual governor.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I would snag it up... the 92 E motor runs better than the H motor... but the ergo's are better on the H model...

All things taken into consideration.... I would take the E motor and make a hybrid....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

The bottom ends are essentially the same all the way back to the air-cooled units. The E motor shears power valve gears unless you keep the valves clean, but has more torque at lower RPM's. As I recall, the saddle is closer to the ground than the H model, but like Inda said, overall the H ergos are better. The E model I had didn't have cartridge forks like the H model either.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I was trying to recall how the ergos were different. I did put wide pegs and tall bars on it before I sold it.

I do remember that that motor pulled amazing with the FMF pipe, 607 reeds, airbox removed and RB mods.

I was also trying to remember if the conventionals from that era responded well to the stiffer springs and racetech valves?

Maybe Wibby will chime in with some thoughts.
'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

People usually put H springs in those...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I did put stiffer springs in my 89 and while it helped I just ended up going to KX forks. It was substantially cheaper than swapping in racetech cartridge emulators. I've got an RB carby, FWW and procircuit pipe. Mix in a DEK needle and you've got a recipe for a tractor.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I dunno why I went on that spiel about the similarities in engine. Must have been a boring moment at work, honestly.

Anyway, I love my 89 200. And when I say love, I mean... well, I love it. If it's nice and clean still and you can get it back reasonably, my all means do it :).

Inda,

I'm very curious what characteristics of the E series motors you find better? I have not had a chance to ride an H model so I have no basis for comparison. I assumed the newer power valve setup would offer better top end since the total exhaust port opening looks to be larger when the valves are open.

J.