carb keeps leaking, even after float height adj.

Got questions? We got answers....
seanstrx276

carb keeps leaking, even after float height adj.

Post by seanstrx276 »

I have a 99 KDX 200 that keeps leaking gas out of the over flow hose on the carb. I have adjusted the float height but that did not work. It does not do it all the time.. only occasionally. I took the carb apart and inspected the needle that allows gas into the bowl and it seems to be in perfect shape... Is this a common problem? something I am over looking?

Thanks for the help
Sean
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

you could actually check the fuel level height. You can replace the drain plug with one that has some sort of an attachment for a clear rubber hose. Then bend the rubber hose up to the side of the carb and turn on the fuel. it will show how high the fuel is in the bowl. I did it with a rubber stopper that had a hole in the middle of it and a clear rubber hose. I got them from a beer brewing place. But it was a real pain and was difficult to use with just one person. You should probably consider replacing the needle valve, or burnishing the seat the the needle valve is supposed to seal to.
seanstrx276

Post by seanstrx276 »

I was going to buy that needle valve.. its like $40... I will take it out and inspect again.

How would I go about burnishing the seat the valve sits in?
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I purchased a new one recently even though my old one was fine. It was only about $19 I thought.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

$40? :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

From sudco:

018.504 1062-814 F/V $15.55
How would I go about burnishing the seat the valve sits in?
Yes, you can do this, but it's usually the rubber tipped needle that's bad. Rubber on brass=eternal life of brass...LOL. Steel needle for alky actually gets lapped in there.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

I don't know how common leaky float valves are on the KDX, but my 2001 KDX220R occasionally likes to "mark it's territory". And I have set the float level and used new parts, but it still does it on occasion.
I make it a habit to turn off the petcock at the tank whenever I stop for any length of time. PITA.
When you think about it, the carb design requires the bouyancy of the floats to overcome the head of the gas above the valve elevation and also to provide the seating force to achieve tight shut-off. The lever arm on the floats and tab that hits the pin as well as any binding or friction are factors in the performance. When Kaw picked this manufacturer's carb, there were some things that they couldn't change. There are many examples of japanese bikes that have similar problems and I think the designers are not conservative enough in their shutoff calculations.
But look at the bright side.....you could have EFI instead. :roll:
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, bit of a touch thing w/ the PWK. Still LOVE this carb compared to a mikuni TM/VM/etc
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
seanstrx276

Post by seanstrx276 »

I got that pricing from Rivayamaha.com maybe I was looking at the wrong part... but either way I will go with sudco, thanks.

I am going to buy they valve, and rebuild my petcock (that leaks) and see if that does the trick,

Sean