Linkage bearings - just a reminder

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Whatabout freezin yer berings?
I usually do.

Wrap 'em up in plastic wrap (if they aren't already IN a sealed envelope..and you didn't take that apart to put REAL grease in 'em). Depending on how dry your freezer is (self-defrost units are NOT dry at all), you don't want any condensation to form on the bearing.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

oh now ya tell me
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'Frost free' means the coils in the referigeration unit stay free of frost and ice...not the 'stuff' IN it.

:lol:

Consider the source

KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Karl, curious... What brand came out and what's going in?

I've had best results with OEM for a number of reasons.
Twice now I've bought non-OEM, a Pivot works set and a couple of pieces from All Balls. One of the pieces in the PW set was just plain wrong and I screwed up the order to AB. I'm better off going to my local shop and telling them what I want, looking at the parts screen and having the guy behind the counter help make sure I don't order the wrong stuff. They will stand behind the quality of the OEM stuff, but not the aftermarket.

I've stopped freezing bearings. They push in easy enough at my house. Besides, a cold bearing is just going to suck moisture out of the air. I do warm up the linkage parts.

The moral of the story is that a fella can REPLACE all the linkage bearings once a year or service them every 3 months. I can't promise that servicing them extends the interval between replacement 'cause in 30 years of riding I've apparently never serviced a set in a timely manner :blink:

My point in bringing all this up is that a look at those bearings ought to come before anything else when suspension performance gets questionable.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

You guys spend too much time thinking about bearings.
Freezing them in your home freezer ain't gonna do ****, unless you're heating the part they're going into, nor is there any concern about moisture.

That aside, they're needle bearings. If you can't push them in without drama, maybe that's why you're having bearing problems :?
Ontario, Canada
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Freezing them in your home freezer ain't gonna do ****'

Damn straight. If you think cold actually effects anything in terms of 'shrinkage', just ask George! HE was in the POOL!

RE: '..nor is there any concern about moisture.'

Damn straight #2!! Bearings love moisture. Gears, too, I'm sure!

I'm gonna use distilled water in my KDX next tranny fluid change. Why? Because I am not concerned. :snooty:

:lol:

Consider the source

zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

Freezer's not cold enough, and the moisture is so little as to be insignificant.
Ontario, Canada
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Oh yeah? Well.....your mother wears COMBAT boots!!

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
zomby woof wrote:Freezer's not cold enough, and the moisture is so little as to be insignificant.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Uuummmm....good!

Consider the source

Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I've only split the cases on one engine so far and I froze the bearings and heated the cases.

As soon as I had the bearings in, I sprayed everything with wd-40, waited several minutes and then coated them in premix. I figured that would protect the bearings from any moisture that built up.

With freezing the bearings and heating the cases, the crank bearings dropped right in. I tried when everything was at room temperature and they weren't going to go in without some persuading. I think the freezing/heating approach makes a big difference.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

To his defense...he DID say, '..unless you're heating the part they're going into..'

But...

If freezing makes no difference UNLESS you heat....the word 'unless' means one is dependent in some way on the other. 'You can't go UNLESS you clean your room!' So, there is obviously some kind'a magical connection between the freezing of the one and the heating of the other.

The things to be learnt from the frozen north. Hey! They're gettin' rid of them dang polar bears, aren't they?

Is a frozen polar bear smaller than an UNfrozen polar bear?

Or...maybe not UNLESS you heat up the ice floe it's floating on.

:hmm:

It follows, therefore, that Canuck's are therefore responsible for Global Warming!!!

THEREFORE I say!!!

So...how about freezing ONLY, then seeing if they fit different from room temp.

Yeah...we could just believe what he says...but where's the fun in THAT? Let alone the DRAMA!!

:hmm: :hmm:

It occurs to me: If freezing makes no difference UNLESS you heat..

Then NOT freezing DOES make a difference if you DO NOT heat.

Sheesh...it's as plain as day!!

With FREE SHIPPING even!!

Consider the source

zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

Nothing is free.

The difference in temp from ambient to freezing is only going to be in the order of about 30-40 degrees F - even less in Canada :razz: . When heating for installation, you should see double that, at least. Check out the coefficient of thermal expansion for steel, and do the math.

When I shrink a shaft (install a shrink fit), or install something where heating is not practical, I use liquid nitrogen. That's a little colder than -300 F. Freezing in the kitchen freezer just isn't cold enough. Don't waste your time.
Ontario, Canada
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
zomby woof wrote:Nothing is free.

The difference in temp from ambient to freezing is only going to be in the order of about 30-40 degrees F - even less in Canada :razz: . When heating for installation, you should see double that, at least. Check out the coefficient of thermal expansion for steel, and do the math.

When I shrink a shaft (install a shrink fit), or install something where heating is not practical, I use liquid nitrogen. That's a little colder than 300 F. Freezing in the kitchen freezer just isn't cold enough. Don't waste your time.
I've done it both ways and it is a helluva lot easier installing a frozen bearing

Take your math and put it right here Woofy :butthead:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

Your mother does, your sister does, and your wife does, but the math never lies :mrgreen:
Ontario, Canada
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
zomby woof wrote:Nothing is free.

Sure some things is. Crap 'fer one...most opinions for another.

>|<>QBB<
zomby woof wrote: When I shrink a shaft....
:shock:

This is a family forum.

..and neither is Lucy 'IN' for personal maladies.

Cereally, I understand the minor deviation part. I don't have liquid nitrogen at-hand. If I can get a fraction of a thousandth off a diameter and save a relatively expensive part some stress (hub/Unitrack arm), I'll do it.

Consider the source

Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Just to throw another log on this fire I'd like to point out that the moisture doesn't come from putting a bearing into the freezer, it comes when you take it out, in the form of condensation. If the bearing is lubed and the part it is going into is warm then it will come up to temp very quickly and with very little condensation.

At my work, we too use liquid nitrogen. Drop your crank or transmission bearing into a cup of that for a minute or so and it will fall right into place, sometimes without any help.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
jswag

Post by jswag »

ok i got my bearing kit coming.Does the bike stay balanced on a stand good when you take the linkage apart...what size sockets fit the bearings to push em out etc.I need all the tips i can get! I got he all-balls kit for my 2004 KDX 200.Any info ..things to watch out for etc..thanks jimmy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Does the bike stay balanced on a stand good when you take the linkage apart..'

Yes. At least..mine does. You will want to put it on the stand so the weight is on the front..'cuz you're going to be disconecting the rear's support.

Re: '..what size sockets fit...'

Just use what fits. Keep in mind what you're pushing the bearing INto has to be deep enough to accept the bearing width. If your press/vise binds up...STOP and figure out what's wrong.

Don't forget to anti-seize the outer shells when you press the bearings back in.

Take care to center the bottom shock bearing.

Take care to fit the pull rod (dog bones) holes OVER the bolt shoulders during assembly.

It will likely save you time if you find ('fer instance) the bottom chain roller is in your way..to just take it OFF as opposed to fussing with the pull rods, collars, and bolts...jockeying them around to get past it.

DO regrease the new bearings. Bel-Ray waterproof grease is inexpensive and does a good job.

Have fun soaking, cleaning, brushing, soaking, greasing, packing, pressing............

There is no ONE bearing 'kit' that comes with everything you may need. I think the 'linkage' kit does NOT come with the bottom shock bearing and the 'swingarm' kit doesn't come with the rear (where the pull rods bolt on) bearings.

If you have one 'kit', you likely will still be needing something.

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
Have fun soaking, cleaning, brushing, soaking, greasing, packing, pressing............
Don't remind me.... :roll:

Prolly going there myself today, if I can persuade the swingarm pivot :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))