Had some fun on the KDX this morning.......

Got questions? We got answers....
GreatBritishRob
Supporting Member

Had some fun on the KDX this morning.......

Post by GreatBritishRob »

7.30 this morning

The Fens can look really bleak.

That river/drain was frozen over.

Not many apples to be had :grin:

Bike didnt like riding slow though. Started to get a bit choked sometimes. Got the odd chance to clear it out but found my DRZ was better for snow :grin:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Though that was Mesquite! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Had some fun on the KDX this morning.......

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
GreatBritishRob wrote:7.30 this morning
So, when you came back from your early secret morning ride, you slowly jumped in the bed and your wife did not noticed anything!!??

Maybe kind of sweet smell... like a bit rich jetted KDX?

No?

:wink:

Nice pictures!
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

My fun was a wee bit messier:

Today the weather was perfect for riding. Rather than head south of Abq many miles to go ride, I decide that the local area was prime for honing my skills. So, I decided to take my KDX to Alcalde in Northern, NM.

Unloaded the bike:

This is probably the last ride of this bike in this condition, as I am hybridizing the KDX to improve the suspension to KX like up front. I made a deal for a full KX front end (forks, t-clamps, wheel & hub) to be installed within the month. It'll be a KDX220 but with a KX front end.

In any case, today I went riding for a loop that took me well into the deep areas of Alcalde with dirt roads, atv tracks and single track:

About 10 miles in from the main unloading point it started to get really pretty, but really icy and muddy:

Here's what started caking up an my bike:

There was some nasty hill climbs to test my new conditioning (I've been jogging 4.25 miles everyday). Loose rocks and steep. Here's looking back at the climb:

Here's looking up only part way:

Eventually this track climbs out of the snow & muddy arroyos, and then beats you on the ridge with tight single track. It whooped my ass. I fell once hard in the slippery mud, and got beat up by pine and pinon trees as I tried to avoid falling, but got struck multiple times by branches hanging right where the track goes. It gave me a big grin.

Soon it drops back down (steep w/ lot's o rocks) to lower elevation and gets into lots of sand:

I had to cleverly hold the fence up while I got the bike under the fence in this picture:

Leads to more sand:

On my way back out of the area, I got some nice vistas of the lower elevation (and drier ) stuff:

I started about noon, and it was already after 3PM when I looked at my bike and headed back down to the truck:

All in all it was a perfect ride for me, as it challenged me to be a better rider, and it helped by forcing me try to apply techniques that I can only do with a light 2T. I learned alot. I got back the to the truck whooped as the ride was physically demanding for me. I loaded the bike:

And went home with a nice grin.
Image[/img]
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Nice pics, But..................

You push the bike through the mud puddles or what ??
It's barely dirty compared to mud on this side of the earth,
:lol:
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

It makes me laugh when I see people impressed with such small amounts of snow, probably as much as them when they find out I can only ride about 5 months out of the year because there's too much of it.

Nice pics, I'd like to get that kind of terrain every now and again.

Is there such a place where the two (Nasty and fast) terrains meet up to offer a graet mix up of riding? Kind of a promised land for dirt bikers.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's one of those things that unless you've actually riddens that terrain... you don't know what it's like. Pictures can be very deceiving....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Nice pics!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
GreatBritishRob
Supporting Member

Re: Had some fun on the KDX this morning.......

Post by GreatBritishRob »

>|<>QBB<
kdxquebec wrote:>|<>QBB<
GreatBritishRob wrote:7.30 this morning
So, when you came back from your early secret morning ride, you slowly jumped in the bed and your wife did not noticed anything!!??

Maybe kind of sweet smell... like a bit rich jetted KDX?

No?

:wink:

Nice pictures!
:mrgreen: Not quite mate. Got home, did a fry up then had a kip then went out for a few pints with a few mates while my wife was at work with my son :mrgreen:
Impressed by the amount of snow muddertrucker? Not at all mate, its bloody rubbish to what we used to have. The last 15 years our winters have become rubbish. Its not helped by the fact that i now live on the east coast of Britain which never really has proper winter weather compared to where i come from (Wales).
Anyway, cheers all.
AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

For me it's the high-desert, northern NM terrain. Easily can get to the fast open desert whoops, but then just less than 10 miles from my house I am at the base of +12000 ft Rockies peaks with tight single track, pine, and nasty climbs. This time of the year I am in the lowlands (6000-7000ft) as there is plenty of snow in the mountains. However, people tell me it is much different than woods riding of the eastern US forests.

>|<>QBB<
muddertrucker wrote:It makes me laugh when I see people impressed with such small amounts of snow, probably as much as them when they find out I can only ride about 5 months out of the year because there's too much of it.

Nice pics, I'd like to get that kind of terrain every now and again.

Is there such a place where the two (Nasty and fast) terrains meet up to offer a graet mix up of riding? Kind of a promised land for dirt bikers.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Pretty dang darkish for 0730. What's the latitutde?

Re: '..unless you've actually riddens that terrain... you don't know what it's like.'

True.

Uphill pics are always deceiving. They don't look particularly steep unless they're vertical. Besides, take those round rocks in the pic, put 'em on the right kind of soil, and that grade could be an absolute PITA.

On what we rode this past weekend for example, the grades weren't particularly steep, and it looked like a cakewalk...then you find you cannot even stand up on the slime, the bike chugging 'forward' while it's slipping ever-faster backward.

It's all 'different'.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: On what we rode this past weekend for example, the grades weren't particularly steep
Well except for that one trail I went up twice and you took like an HOUR to get up :razz:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
battery

Post by battery »

Image[/img]
1989 KDX200
2000 ZR7 750
2005 DRZ400