Comparison of my bike to a KTM250-xc

Got questions? We got answers....
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Comparison of my bike to a KTM250-xc

Post by jc7622 »

I got a chance to swap bikes with a friend of mine for a few miles the other day. He rides a brand new KTM250-xc. His bike handled very well. I definately need to soften my rear shock. His motor was nice and smooth. Overall a good bike.

He got off mine and immediately commented about how much more power it had than his. All it has on it are the RB head, PC pipe and V-Force reeds.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Interesting
I swapped with a guy on GasGas 200.
He said the same about my motor (220 with RBD head and carb).

His comment was not really accurate. My motor has a ton more bottom and mid than his GasGas 200 motor. His motor just loved to rev, though, and outpulled the KDX220 motor by far on top.

Pure horsepower number probably went to the GasGas. Ridable power definately went to the KDX motor.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

COuld it be that your power delivery is simply more abrupt?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:COuld it be that your power delivery is simply more abrupt?
NO. It's on like Donkey Kong and that's the way that I roll, dog. Mine doesn't have much if any delay from when you crack the throttle. It doesn't need the revs to build to start getting into the meat of the power.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Just a comment for comparison purposes. Comparing my current bike - an RM250 - to my previous 220 with all the goodies (RB mods, pipe, etc, etc) I'd say hands down that the RM has more power. That's probably not a surprise to anyone who's ridden one of the 250s. Although the low end of the 220 wasn't too far behind the RM, the differences in the mid and high are more noticeable . . .

particularly after RB mods on the RM!!

Sounds to me like something's up with that XC.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Apples and oranges... I don't know why this is suprising. 30 more cc's and a technically advanced purpose built bike will eqate to a difference.

Chances are no one has ever used every last ounce of bike to talent ratio to truly need to move to a different bike. What it comes down to in my observations is 1. Not wanting to work on a bike to get the performance they are looking for. and B. They talk themselves into a new bike because they want a new bike.

It is simple as that.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

You don't compare track bike engines to off road engines as you don't compare a formula 1 engine to a trucks. Two completely different beasts.

I just had my cousin on my 200 last week. He came back and said he had no idea a KDX-200 went like that. He always thought the 200/220 was more of a girls/kids bike. He said "I could own one of theses."

I told him the KDX's weren't designed to rip your arms off they were designed to go forward fast.

I've owned KTM's (200 & 300) and they are great bikes and the guys I rides with now are 99% on big CC 4 stk KTM's and they can't get away from the lil 200. They get PO'd and I get a smile.

Last edited by MXOldtimer on 01:43 am Feb 05 2009, edited 1 time in total.
04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I'm now on my 3rd KTM and have had 2 KDX's in the past 5 years.

Power wise, they are pretty close after you do the usual KDX mods. The KDX has smooth power delivery while the KTM has more snap. Both will lug and run a gear higher. I agree that as far as power, you are not going to use up all the KDX has to offer unless you are an A rider.

Ergos and suspension are where there is a very noticeable difference. The KTM is slimmer and lighter and the ergos make you sit right up on the tank. The KDX is more low slung and you feel more comfortable sitting. The suspension on the KTM (some years are better than others) is much better than the stock KDX (obviously).

The KTM feels better as begin to really push as in harescramble type speeds.

I really enjoy both and I got a screamin' deal on my current KTM and couldnt pass it up.
'
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Apples and oranges - exactly. Bikes made for different reasons.

To me a KDX is just enough . . . most of the time. It's meant to be an entry-level fun bike. The mods make 'em stouter . . . but they're just never going to match the high-performance machines. Nothing wrong with that.

The "new" bike (it's actually 6 years old) is almost too much . . . but not quite. An abundance of power always there when you need it, no need to dig the spurs into her sides to get her going. Super light, super fast, super boom.

I personally am not good enough to say I'm too good a rider for a KDX, anybody that has ridden with me knows that. In fact I am currently outmatched with the banana bike. It's just that "just enough" ain't enough for my tastes - truly a personal thing. No need to be better than the KDX (I never would be anyway) before I moved on. I believe (theory) I'll end up a better rider 'cuz the banana can do more, simple as that.

Besides, I LOVE having my arms ripped out of their sockets and hanging on for dear life!!!

Now back to JC's initial point - what's up with the XC? They're "supposed" to be the ones that are closer cousins to the mx versions than, say, the XCW or EXC . . . I thought anyway.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

My 250 MXC was replaced by the current XC model.

Mine has the close ratio tranny and didnt come with a headlight (It has an aftermarket Acerbis light on it now), just like the XC's. I think the current XC's might even have different suspension than the XCW's.

I wasnt sure I'd like the close-ratio transmission, but I really like it. It seems like I am always using the bikes power at its optimum. I dont find myself shifting any more than I did with the wide-ratio trans.
'
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

NO. It's on like Donkey Kong and that's the way that I roll, dog. Mine doesn't have much if any delay from when you crack the throttle. It doesn't need the revs to build to start getting into the meat of the power.
:mrgreen: That's exactly what I'm saying....YOUR KDX is the one that's more abrupt, and he could be mis-conceiving that as being more powerful. A bike that runs crisp, and actually pulls at 1/16th-1/8th throttle will certainely feel ballsy over one that needs twisted...Expecially in terrain where over 1/2 throttle isn't used. His KTM could have that cake too....Probably needs jetted.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project