Transmission lubricants

Got questions? We got answers....
Curious George

Transmission lubricants

Post by Curious George »

I havn't found a good repair manual for our KDX's ,buts what everone running in the transmission? 20w50 , 10w40 , Mobil 1 15w50 or Maxima
tranny oil.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I run plain 'ole Castrol 20W-50.

I change it maybe twice a year, if I feel like it.

(Don't buy a used bike from THAT guy...)

NOT a recommendation.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

Don't buy a bike from what guy ??
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Search on here and you'll find enough to keep you busy for a few days.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

10W-40 Rotella is cheap and works well...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

I use 10-40 Chevron Supreme. I've tried synthetics, mixtures of ATF and motor oil, HD diesel oils and have found that a good quality Dino 10-40 works the best, for me at least. As for why I've tried all of the above because I was missing shifts and hitting false neutrals. That all went away with a fresh change of 10-40 and I change it every 3 or 4 rides. :supz:
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Don't buy from WHAT guy? The guy that changes his oil twice a year...if he feels like it.

Buy a Kaw manual from your dealer. The computerized version on this site has some excellent pics that you won't find anywhere else. I prefer paper, myself, less excellent or not.

Listed spec:

Transmission Oil SE Class SAE 10W30 or 10W40

Use it and you will be fine. Use something else...and you might be, might not be. Anything that is specifically designed for wet clutch use will work. Anything that is 'energy saving' or 'conserving' or has friction modifers in it will NOT work.

Everyone has their opinion on what works (and everything they don't use is crap).

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
vaderoni

Post by vaderoni »

I use a full quart of ATF type F (the ford stuff) and change it every few rides. Its cheap enough to.
It seems to grab a bit more positively than whatever was in the bike when I got it(it was green). :supz:
Hi my name is Russell, and its nice to meet you!
1997 Kawasaki KDX220
2000 Kawasaki KDX200
2000 KTM EXC 300
2004 Kawasaki KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Antifreeze? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
vaderoni

Post by vaderoni »

Haha, no :wink: The PO seemed like he knew what he was doing. It was probably Kawi stuff or something. The only trans oil I've used in my bikes have been regular motor oil in my 150F and now ATF in the KDX.
Hi my name is Russell, and its nice to meet you!
1997 Kawasaki KDX220
2000 Kawasaki KDX200
2000 KTM EXC 300
2004 Kawasaki KDX220
danfree

Post by danfree »

I have been using the Golden Spectro gear oil and Amsoil Interceptor 2 stroke oil for my 2005 KDX200. I have had no problems with it. Unfortunately I don't get a chance to ride often enough to warrant frequent changes. Maybe 50 miles a month or so. However I recently purchased a 2008 Yamaha FZ6. I use this for my daily commute and I have about 2000 miles on the engine. I have been thinking of using synthetic now that it is broken in. I am wondering if using the same oil for my Yamaha and KDX transmission would be a good idea. Perhaps Inda can chime in here with some advice. Amsoil 10W-40 motorcycle oil should be good for the street bike. Perhaps it would be good for the KDX tranny as well. Has anyone started out with the spectro oil (or such) and then gone to a synthetic multi grade oil? I have heard of some that prefer the dedicated gear oil over 'engine' oil. I don't want to start a debate over which is best. I just want to make sure that no one has had problems with the synthetic oil in the KDX tranny. Otherwise I will just stick with the Golden Spectro.
2008 Yam FZ6
2005 KDX 200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Anything that says 'motorcycle oil' is a wet clutch oil. Hell...it might even work in beemers that don't GOT a wet clutch! :wink:

Over the long haul, an oil with added zinc and...some other elemental table elemental..(phosphorus?)..that are in the make-up of oil specified for wet clutch applications will continue to do the job.

..said that already...but, it's correct, so might as well tell 'ya agin.

Opinions on oil? Nah...not me!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!