KLX400 experiment is out. KTM is in! Pic added

Got questions? We got answers....
firffighter
Supporting Member

KLX400 experiment is out. KTM is in! Pic added

Post by firffighter »

I traded my KDX220 for a KLX400 this fall with the intent of getting it plated for dualsporting.

New Oregon legistlation has brought more awareness to local DMV's regarding off-road bikes being dualsported and I have not been able to obtain a plate for the KLX despite repeated tries at a variety of DMV's.

So, I decided that Oregon pretty much sucks when it comes to being off-road friendly (like that is any revelation).

That brought me to whether or not to keep the KLX as my primary off-road bike, and I decided that a 2-stoke was back in order.

I found a nice '99 KTM250 MXC that had every option known to man added and for $1500 seemed like a no-brainer.

After 2 rides on it, I am in love. Great tractable power with more than enough snap up to to keep you on your toes. The biggest thing is the suspension on this thing is sweet. The 50mm conventional WP's are the cats meow. It is a very fun bike and hopefully will keep ahead of the boy who is now pushing me on that KX80 I bought him :wink:
Last edited by firffighter on 04:51 pm Feb 04 2009, edited 1 time in total.
'
dentvet
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dentvet »

Come on, no picture? This is weird, i found a 99 ktm 250 here that the guy would trade for an atv i have. The mxc is a 5 speed? has a lighting coil? 18 inch rear? how does the low end compare to the kdx? does it feel lighter or heavier to ride? are you actually faster on it? cool.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I will get some pics up today.

The '99 KTM250 EXC and MXC were identical with the exception of no headlight/tailight assembly on the MXC and a close-ratio gearbox on the MXC with a wide-ratio gearbox on the EXC.

It is a 5-speed, it does come with a lighting coil and mine already has the Acerbis healight (just plug it in), and a 18" rear wheel.

This bike has very good low-end and can carry a gear or 2 higher with no problem. I would say it has a bit more low end than my modded KDX220, but not a ton.

It feels a lot lighter than the KDX. This is my 3rd KTM and they have a very slim feel to them and you can throw them around better than the KDX.

The biggest difference with this year KTM is those forks. They are awesome.

I dont think the bike makes me a faster rider, but the harder you push it the better it performs where as the KDX had its limits when you begin to push her hard. I also like the close-ratio gearbox because you are utilizing the bikes power delivery all of the time. I didnt feel like I was shifting any more than with the KDX or any other wide-ratio bikes I've owned.
'
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Here is a quick pic.
'
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I loved Inda's old 98 EXC....That was before we discoverd the KDX's. I'm still more of a 25o kinda guy. That bike fit me perfect. I swear you could count the revs it would idle so low. It would also kill you. :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I was amazed at the low end on this bike. I hit some corners too hot and left it in 4th gear, and she never even shuttered, good fun.

And yes, if you arent careful with that right hand, she can get the best of you.

Funny thing. My first KDX just came up for sale. It is a '92 200 that had 500 original miles on it. I had done all of the usual mods and had it in perfect running order. Now it has a whopping 750 miles on it. Gets a guy to thinking. HMM
'