Help! I killed my bike, KDX200

Got questions? We got answers....
theckeler

Help! I killed my bike, KDX200

Post by theckeler »

A 1995 KDX200... When I got it the kickstart was slipping, I read a bunch of stuff about oil and such but this wasn't normal, something was slipping internally. I figured it was the ratchet, so I removed the whole shaft and replaced it with one I got off ebay (which the guy said had no issues), now it doesn't want to kick at all. It feels like it's just slipping and if it does kick odd sound comes out of the muffler, look a poooooooof, also doesn't feel like any compression... it was kicking just fine for days now and now nothing. I really f'ed something up. I also did the top end, so who knows, think I killed it. Anyone have any ideas, I put quite a bit into the bike so far and really bummed.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

do you have a manual?
If not I suggest you get one. Maybe you put something back not right when reassembling the kickstart, you sure you put the spring back right?
I hope you supported the shaft for the kips when you did your topend (the one with the conter tread nut)
can you start it at all?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'I also did the top end,'

That complicates things, and not an offhand comment to be thrown in the middle of something else.

A bit better sequence of events, please?

What does 'the whole shaft' mean?

And...'slipping'? Is there an engagement TO something, but just not the 'feel' you would expect?

If you take the spark plug out and kick it (my hand is fine) do you feel the compression stroke when you put your finger over the hole?

Is there an 'I also took the mag rotor off' in this story?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!