Do I have a 1989 to 1994 exhaust?

Got questions? We got answers....
santidreamer

Do I have a 1989 to 1994 exhaust?

Post by santidreamer »

I have just brought my first KDX200 a couple of days ago, form the serial number KDX200G-015744 I think it is a 1993 model.

I have read that the stock expansion chamber has an acoustic lining which when removed will ‘really wakes the KDX up’.

After chopping the pipe as per the instructions I found only a small (may be a 1/5) of the internal area had a metal gauze.

It had not been cut open before around the circumference, but may have been opened along the original welds.

Do I really have a 1993 model bike?

If so does a 1995 on and onwards expansion chamber fit perfectly on a 1993 model?

Has someone already done this mod or have I got the wrong pipe?

All comments gratefully received.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you have a pic, it can be identified immediately.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

If the pipe goes high almost to the tank, its a 93. Also, if you have upside-down forks it is a 93. Lastly, the most sure way is the frame, does the top have a single tube under the tank or is it a cradle around the tank? If it is a single tube its a 93.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I did this mod to the pipe on my 89. The internal packing only runs between the two rings of spot welds that you can see on the outside of the pipe. It's not very long, just through the fattest part of the pipe. Removing all that junk made a HUGE difference. Enough so that I feel I'm able to hold off on putting an aftermarket pipe on. I'll run this one until I manage to destry it.

J.
santidreamer

Post by santidreamer »

I have a single tube under the tank.

The fork pistons are attached to the wheels and the fork cylinders are attached to the handle bars.

Thanks
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's a 93-94
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
santidreamer

Post by santidreamer »

So removing the baffle in the expansion chamber should have 'woken it up'?

Is the reed valve holder (made from back rubber) the same size on 200s as the 250s?

Thanks