Water Pump Knock?

Got questions? We got answers....
tommyd
Supporting Member

Water Pump Knock?

Post by tommyd »

I just started my 95 for the first time and it makes a knocking sound. With a stethoscope it seems to be coming from the water pump. It runs fine other than that.

We took the water pump apart and it seems ok but if you wiggle it back and forth it does have some play. We didn't split the case to see what was going on inside.

A friend of mine who's owned a lot of different bikes says he wouldn't worry about it but he wasn't there. He was the last person to hear it run before I bought it from a mutual friend. He says 2-strokes make noises. I haven't had one in about twenty years but I don't remember any sounding like that...

Should I worry about it or just run it like he says?

Does this sound like a common problem anyone is aware of?

I did a search but didn't find anything.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you pull the clutch in does it get quieter?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

No. Tried that after reading about that on here.

I've heard of the KIPS rattle but this is more of a knock. Not as loud as a rod knock. Maybe even a clack... If you grab the water pump impeller and wiggle it in both directions you can get a quieter version of what seems like the same noise. If you take your finger and touch all over the engine while it's running it's definitely strongest at the water pump. I touched the clutch cover and the KIPS cover. It also speeds up with the engine when you give it gas.

How is the drive gear for the water pump lubed? Is it splashed? I wonder if it's just dry from sitting for three years?

If I wasn't about 90 miles from my friends shop where it's at I prolly would just say "F" it and ride it.
GS

Post by GS »

Mine makes what sounds like the same noise. KiPS rattle sounds more like a knocking rattle in my beast. If you aren't familiar with the engine, it can 'rattle' your nerves....I've never had another 2S do this like the KDX does!

How much play in the water impeller shaft? Is the noise consistent......with engine speed...in other words does the tempo change with rpm.

For my 2 cents, I'd say ride it and listen/watch for the 1st 2-4 hours......never too far from the truck.

Do you hear the KIPS as well? Cause if you don't also hear the KIPS, then....Eureka!
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

The tempo is consistent with RPM, but it doesn't really get louder or more prevalent like a rod knock.

I don't really hear any other abnormal sounds while wringing it in the shop. If that's a normal sound I might always feel like someone has pulled the pin on a grenade while I'm riding.

I think we're gonna dig into it further. At least then I can check it out and I'll know exactly what I've got. Most of the riding I'll be doing on this bike will be far from home so it will be worth it.

Other than the basics is there anything else I should look at while I'm in there?
GS

Post by GS »

Somebody else may be able to help out with this suggestion:

But, can't you disconnect the KIPS and run it thata way to see if the noise changes?
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Hi tom. Do the sound you are talking about is like this?

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/ ... =kddxx.flv

After a crank bearing rebuilt (4 years ago) the mechanic forgot to install the water pump impeller washer/spacer and the impeller was rubbing on the aluminium case!!

Is it your problem?
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.