Stator probs

Got questions? We got answers....
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stator probs

Post by bradf »

I would like your input on this. My 98 XR250 is missing (popping) at mid to high RPM under load. Carb is perfect (float level, clean, jets clean). I had cleaned the carb 4 times prior to this thinking it was leaning out. CDI, plug, and plug wire/boot was replaced last winter. I checked the exciter coil today and it read 130 ohms vs the 300-500 ohms in the book. Does this sound like a stator prob to you? If so, is rickystator the place to go?
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

sounds like the stator is bad to me. I've heard many good reports on Ricky Stator.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I know nothing about XR250s...but...

There are other models of XRs that are fairly well known to have stator problems. I'm repeating that from Honda riders that have said that. The symptom of their stators is exactly what you describe..missing/popping at mid-high rpm under load.

While there have been a number of problems with stators from a number of vendors/manufacturers, I've heard nothing but good things about RickyStator. Their products work and their customer service has been reported to be very good.

So...there 'ya go! Completely undocumented anecdotal info that realistically amounts to zip...but I'm sure it's right! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I just got off the phone with Rick and he said the 130 ohm reading is about right, the fact remains that I have eliminated every other possible source. Once it heats up it gets worse which is more than likely the stator. I oredered Rick's stator, a 150 watt for $125 vs the stock 75 watt from Honda for $165.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If'n its watts your talking about, it's a lighting coil?

They can't provide just the exciter? You have to get the whole thing?

Just curious.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Most 4 stroke stator's i've seen have the lighting coil and the exciter on the same assembly, a certain amount of the poles are linked to the spark coil and a certain amount to the lighting coil.

Take a look at this for example.

http://www.awccom.com/files/pub/Mr_Fier ... _XR650.htm

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Yer right morie, the stock stator has 2 or 3 poles wired for lighting and a couple for the exciter, Rick wires a few more for lighting. I don't know the exact number of poles in each.