1990 KDX200 what should I pay?

Got questions? We got answers....
zombiescustoms

1990 KDX200 what should I pay?

Post by zombiescustoms »

New here! and thinking of buying a KDX. I went and looked at a 1990 KDX 200 today, the guy lives 15 min from my house which is nice, the bike is in good shape for its age has had new plastics put on and a new seat cover, new pro tapers and pad, new brake pads and the motor was done by a friend of mine about 10 hours ago, tires are decent bike started right up and it was about 20deg out today, has newer chain and sprockets, larger carb and a high comp piston, he just replaced the water pump and put on a new FMF fatty pipe and silencer and it has a clear regular motorcycle title with no "off road only " restrictions, so I should be able to plate it, I rode it around his yard a bit, it went through a 6 gears fine and pulled real hard, I was very impressed for only being a 200! Any how I really like the bike but have no idea what I should pay for the thing, he is asking $1500 obo but I was going to offer him $900 or so, I really don't want to spend more than $1000 on a bike as I'm not sure how much I want to jump into off road riding with both feet! All you KDX people please chime in!

Also from what I read there are not many differences in the newer KDXs is this true?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Your right on the mark with what you would offer the guy..... The bike is old and chances are you are going to be replacing and greasing allot of bearings in your future! :wink:

Larger carb is not good.... and a high compression piston? Are you sure? That is not something that is done.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

If its clean, recently rebuilt and runs good i'd say $900-$1000 is a good price for it. If the guy is willing to let you do it i'd put the bike on a stand and check the swingarm and steering head for excessive play which might indicate worn bearings. Pull the pipe and look into the cylinder with a flash light to check the condition of the piston and rings.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I am not sure if it is like the newer KDX but from my bad experience with a 2003, I would take off the slotted cover on the left side and rev it up and see if the KIPs valve is working.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'd be leery of the larger carb unless it's really just been bored.

Be nice if it turned out to be a RB'd carb

I paid $900 for my '92 back in '03

But it was on ebay. The auction was ending at 4am and I threw a max bid of $900 at around 2am. I figured the bike would go for about $1,600
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
zombiescustoms

Post by zombiescustoms »

I talked to the guy again today and he said Ferdette racing is who did the port work, and the carb has been bored to a 36mm
dentvet
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dentvet »

ZC, folks here will be happy with the fredette name drop. Where are you? i'm guessing nj for some reason. i did a craigslist search midatlantic and kdx prices ranged from $300 ( Otherwise clean older bike needing a piston) to 1600 ( a super clean 2001.) most were under $1000 and 1995 or newer.

Your seller sounds like an enthusiast which is good for the bike's sake but he's trying to get top dollar for it.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Just for shits and giggles

PNW KDX Craigslist Prices

92 $900

87 $1000

03 $2900

00 $2100

96 $1200
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

1000 is a good price.
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
zombiescustoms

Post by zombiescustoms »

I Traded a R/C boat for a 1992 KDX 250, :grin:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: ' there are not many differences in the newer KDXs is this true?'

That is true. But...a '90 is not a 'newer' KDX.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Re: ' there are not many differences in the newer KDXs is this true?'

The "H" series KDX's might not have as much pull on the bottom as the "E" series does. The fuel capacity is not as much and the forks are a stronger, IMHO :supz:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Another case of failing to understand the unclear. It's all muddy water under the bridge at this point 'cuz he got a 2-fiddy..but...

Re: 'there are not many differences in the newer KDXs...'

You can't have a difference between a thing. It takes at least two things, 'eh? How are you going to answer, 'What's the difference between this bike?'

:hmm:

So..I took it all to mean that newer KDXs had little difference between themselves, and the '90 mentioned clearly had nothing even remotely to do with the 'newer' KDXs.

There is indeed little difference between 'newer' (meaning 'A' and 'H' model) KDXs. ..and, the '90 model mentioned obviously has nothing to do with 'newer' KDXs.

Comparing the 'newer' model KDXs to the OLDer model KDXs? Lot'sa difference! Hell...they're not even the same!! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!