kx forks can you put on a 2000 kdx 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Pick any year....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

With modifications you can do any year. It is the same amount of work weather you go with brand new forks or 10 y.o. forks.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There is more info in the Fork Conversion forum: HERE!

As noted..any fork will fit. Strap on a set of Showas if you wanna.

There is no choice that simply bolts in. Some years of KX500 are closer fits than most KX125/250 front-ends. Options and variances abound.

If you are not quite familiar with what fits with what you will be much better off getting everything you need (front wheel/rotor, axle, spacers, forks, clamps) from the same year/make/model bike.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

kdx200boy

I once helped put a complete 91 kx250 front end on a friends kdx220. Bolted right up, no mods at all. Not the most up to date forks but still light years better than stock and cheap to find. He had them reworked by racetech, I'm not a good enough rider to tell the difference between his and the 2000 forks on my 220, even though mine are newer and a few mm bigger his seem to work just as well in the woods. Just an option. I think his were 43 mm.
Last edited by marrk_us on 01:32 pm Dec 04 2008, edited 1 time in total.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Bolted right up, no mods at all...'

You used the KX stem? You used the KX steering head bearings?

Maybe 'bolted right up, no mods at all' means something different to you?

:hmm:

Point is not to be picayune, but to not mislead. 'Bolt right up' does not, to me, include the press removal/assembly, knurling, shimming, spacing and such that is generally part of the process, especially to kdx200boy with four posts on this board.

Consider the source

marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

Yep bolted right up, proper like. Kx stem, bearings, seals. Steering stops, everything works as it should. Sometime around about 93-94 everything changed on the kx steering, but i believe Kawa drew heavily on earlier kx designs when making the perimeter kdx's everything works no problem. The only drawback is that there are no aftermarket triples available for the earlier kx's so you're stuck with the factory rubber mounted bars, like them or not. Before i quit 'working' (now a postal employee!!) I was a 'real life' mechanic, sheepskin on the wall the whole nine yards. Wouldn't have done it for him had it been a half-a**ed deal. If I were a pro maybe wouldn't have been happy with them but only in my dreams am i a good enough rider to tell the difference. That said i'm looking for 2004 or newer forks for the next hybird.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Great!

That is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for: Informed, experienced, educated, to-the-point, factual and downright good!

:wink:

Thanks!

Hey! I LIKE the factory-rubber-mounted-bars top clamp! A whole lot better'n anything I've ridden that didn't have isolated mounts anyway.

...btw...the term is 1/2 fast....
:grin:

Consider the source