oil

Got questions? We got answers....
kdx200boy

oil

Post by kdx200boy »

what is the best oil to use
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

i usually use olive or canola...but sometimes peanut.
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Here we go with the oil debate. :butthead: Search there is a lot of stuff out there on this. Anyway, I have used Shell Rotella dino oil (get it cheap at walmart). Some mix with ATF oil. Some use only ATF oil. Lately, I wanted to spoil the KDX and have used Klotz. Really good oil. Bike shifts really nice now.

Frankly, any major oil is pretty good anymore. I think the real key is to change it often.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
paceyman
Supporting Member

Re: oil

Post by paceyman »

>|<>QBB<
kdx200boy wrote:what is the best oil to use
Mix - Motorex 2T Syn 40:1

Crankcase - Bel Ray Gearsaver 75w

Pulling down the head in a few weeks so I'll know how clean the Motorex burns very soon.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye - Wife's
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Amsoil of course.... :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

For your Tranny make sure your oil has a symbol something like this:

Ant NOT like THIS:

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

For my KDX most stuff I tried in the tranny worked OK. I got along with the 2 parts "F" ATF 1 part cheap 10W-40 (GTX) (very cost effective) but I also liked the expensive full synthetic 10-W40 Amsoil (lasted longer). I didn't like Motul nor did I care for Spectro.

Other bikes can be different FWIW. The clutch in my RM250 is grabby unless I use the 2-to-1 "F" ATF / 10W-40, it's really weird. My kiddo's RM65 likes the expensive full synthetic.

For premix - Amsoil all the way. The Interceptor is fantastic and actually low cost for a quality premix oil. All it takes is doing one top end after using the stuff to see. Indawoods provides it on the site, look near the top on the left hand side.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I don't think tranny oil matters that much. I have used the Motul 10W30 Tranny oil and then 10W40 Valvoline and both seem to work fine, but I do change often.

For the mix I use the Motul 800 2T. I am not saying I wouldn't even use Amsoil, but if I can't easily get it locally then I am not going to use it. They are also too much like Amway.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
lemmy wrote: . . . They are also too much like Amway.
What does that have to do with the quality of Amsoil?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I don't like businesses that work that way, so I don't use their products. If someone could convince me with proof that Amsoil was better, I might use it. But I think Motul is just as good if not better and I can buy it much more easily.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't care what you use. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|QBB<[/url]
lemmy wrote:I don't like businesses that work that way, so I don't use their products. If someone could convince me with proof that Amsoil was better, I might use it. But I think Motul is just as good if not better and I can buy it much more easily.
For what it's worth, there are some big differences in the business models of Amway and Amsoil, they're apples and oranges. Besides, I can buy Amsoil from a local auto parts store, a local motorcycle shop, an individual that lives close by, or I can order online right here on this website.

The quality is first rate. A picture is worth a thousand words, my son's RM65 piston after running 1/2 of a summer on the Interceptor . . .

Frankly it sound like you've already convinced yourself the Motul is superior (care to share your proof?) so the point of my effort is to demonstrate to the thread originator of Amsoil's performance, notwithstanding imagined similarities between Amway and Amsoil.

The Motul, BTW, is more expensive than the Interceptor.

CLICK FOR PICS!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Motul 8002T is great stuff too, but can be hard to find. Surely run what's close to you. Mobil MX2T was great stuff most all autozones carried (gone).

Nutshell: Want to run a full synthetic designed for powervalve motors. Not 'racing' oil. Not castor or castor blend. This is for a trail ridden KDX.

If I was going to run WOT all day in sand I'd run pure degummed castor mixed with about 20% synthetic, and purge fuel/carb at the end of the day, but that's off topic.

Trans, as Wibs said don't run 'energy conserving' Everything else is fine. I prefer synthetic. Energy conserving = fritcion modifiers that can trash wet clutch fibers. I'm sure some don't. I personally don't want to find our which $1.50 bottle of oil is going to ruin my $100 clutch pack. If your cheap, any SAE/HD30 is perfect.

Tons of debate on this if you search.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
lemmy wrote:but if I can't easily get it locally then I am not going to use it.
Yeah it's too much of a hassle to open the front door and pick it up off the porch

:neutral:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
Yeah it's too much of a hassle to wait for several days when I can run down to cycle gear and get Motul 7 days/week.
fixed :cool:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
lemmy wrote:>|<>QBB<
Yeah it's too much of a hassle to wait for several days when I can run down to the Blue Oyster Bar and get lubed up 7 days/week.

Fixed :mrgreen:

[youtube][/youtube]
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KAOS

Post by KAOS »

Are you after the best oil for the motor, tranmission or both?
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

If Motul is good enough for the Blue Oyster it is good enough for me. :grin: