Rear srpring replacement

Got questions? We got answers....
muddertrucker

Rear srpring replacement

Post by muddertrucker »

I'm looking for opinions on wich rear spring to go with. My stock 5.0 is no longer within the specs mentioned in the manual (it's 5mm too short). The problem is I weight in at 190lbs without gear and back pack. I have not weighed myself all kitted up but I imagine it would be about 205 to 210 lbs. There is alot of advise on here about the front suspension (trust me i used alot of it) but not much on setting up the rear suspension. I was thinking of getting a 5.2 or loosing a couple pounds and getting a 5.0.

What do you guys think?
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I think if you lose a few pounds they'll eventually find you again, especially if you happen to get older.
:wink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Ill agre with that. But lets say I do keep them off (for a while anyways)wich would better. Ill also add the weight of the kit I carry varies depnding on the riding length and conditions. If I only go in the woods behind my house and it's bright and sunny out I definatly won't bring my rain jacket, xtra gogles and gloves because I can be back home within 15 mins. The same if I go to a track, then I'm only at about 200lbs. Right now I'm almost (will be as I get older :wink: ) in between the two.
Gallery!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have the lighter one and am about the same weight. I have no problem with the rear end. The only time I did, I found that the shock had blown up. I don't take monster jumps though. I tend to ride a lot of rocks and areas with small whoops in crushed granite and sand.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

From what I've read of other's preferences, you're well within the range of a 5.0 spring.

Do you know the spring to have shrunk? Or..your initial measurement shows it to be shorter'n spec'd?

I wouldn't trust what the manual says the free length is supposed to be. I know the specs for clutch springs to be all screwed up.

Besides, if you took that diameter of spring steel and ran it through a spring-maker to some specified use, I'll guarundamtee you it would be hard to find two that were exactly the same.

Besides #2..who cares what the free length is?

Set your race sag, check the free sag.

It's good?

You have nothing to worry about.

It's not good? Get a new (or a nother) 5.0 spring.

I'll bet you feel better already!!! :razz:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Thats just it I can seem to be able to set the sag unless I realy tighten down the adjuter nuts. Right now it feels ok and dosn't kick but it does seem to bottom easily at high speed when sitting. Your right I do not know that it has shrunk just that it is shorter than spec. I will try to set my again next year with help from someone who has dun it before.

Anyways If I do change it I will be going with a 5.0
Gallery!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Thats just it I can seem to be able to set the sag unless I realy tighten down the adjuter nuts.'

What I understand that to mean: In order to get the desired race sag (say, 100mm) you have to compress the spring too much. ('tighten...adjuster..')

IF that is what you are saying, that is an indication of the spring being too high a rate (regardless what its free length is).

A corresponding result would be a free sag measurement that was too high..say, over 25mm.

So..what of that is incorrectly understood?

Consider the source

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

:hmm:

Well?

Whut happened?

What is your free sag with a 100mm race sag?

Just think of the hundreds if not thousands of riders perched on the edge of their seats...waiting.....wondering......
Riders wrote:'I gott'a know the answer to this!!'

Consider the source

muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Well winter is usualy the season where I fix everything that can wait that long, but this winter is a bit special. I'm presently deployed to the middle east in support to the misson in afghanistan. No snow for me this winter.
Gallery!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find some snow around there not TOO far away!!

How long you going to be there? Doing diesel mechanic sort of stuff? Can't imagine that environment would be anything but nasty on equipment.

Take care of yourself. Hope to hear from you now and again...drop us a line.

Consider the source

muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

The only snow here would be in the freezers. I'm workin on all sorts of equipment but it's related to airfields so it's not too big. I'm wondering wich is worst extreme heat or extreme cold, I have yet to experience the effects of either on the equipment but am sure i'll extreme heat. I've been told that it can get up to 65 deg in juin n july, fortunatly i'll be back at the end of may or the begining of april.

P.S. for all the non metric conoiseurs 65 celsius in in farunheit is f@ckin hot :lol:
Gallery!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sorry...I'm geographically stupid....but...

Afghanistan is in the northern hemisphere...December is winter, right? Pics I've seen of winters there are completely nasty. But a Yahoo forecast for Kabul tomorrow:

High: 51°F
Low: 26°F

You're in a lower elevation? Kabul is something like 6000'..I thought the whole country was 'tall'. (A bit of looking shows the lowest point to be a bit under 1000'. Lower than I would've guessed)

Ooohhhh.....you say 'for support of the mission in Afghanistan' I guess that doesn't really have anything to do with BEing in Afghanistan. There was some assumin' goin' on on my part.

I like your temp conversion equation!! :lol:

Consider the source