Dual Sport Kit!

Got questions? We got answers....
Firefightinlv

Dual Sport Kit!

Post by Firefightinlv »

I'm looking to plate my KDX220 and was wondering what is the best way/kit to do so. It seems alot of the parts I could just order one by one or is a kit the better way to go. Thanks!!!
05 KDX220
Las Vegas. . Were you can ride 24/7/365. .
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

That's going to depend on the result you're after.

If all you need is a brake/tail, you can rig that fairly easily with brake switch and a resistor. Fredette sells that setup as a 'kit' I believe.

If you're after lights you can actually SEE by..then you're going to have to considerably beef-up the lighting system. Baha Designs or Ricky Stator are places to get pieces from. Baja, for example, doesn't list 'kits' for the KDX, but some of what they list for the KX might work on the KDX.

I've heard some states require a horn that will operate without the engine running. A beep-beep bicycle horn may qualify..or may not. Some riders have wired a piezo type speaker to a lithium battery pack for that.

I understand that most of this answers no questions..just brings up more questions.

You have some figgering out to do..somewhere between riding 24/7/365 I guess. There's always leap year!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

Here's mine dual sported :supz: :

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Where is the rifle?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

:lol:

Funny thing...I am not a gun owner, BUT, I do have a pellet rifle!

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Where is the rifle?
AtomicKDX

My DualSport Ordeal for KDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

My DualSport Ordeal

As for where I live (NM), NM happens to be a "minimalist" state in terms of requirements for conversion to to street-legal. The conversion is done through filling out a equipment list form that is then bike-inspected for compliance before going to get your street-legal title and plate. In NM, the required street-legal equipment list are:

1.) Headlight
2.) Brake and Tail Light
3.) One mirror
4.) Horn
5.) DOT approved tires

Notice that turn signals are not required...this is a big cost-savings advantage for me,as it allowed me to get away with the stock stator output (i.e. not having to get a $150 high power aftermarket stator) to power everything. Also notice that I don't need a speedometer or odometer to be legal. I just use the stock trip meter (to keep track of mileage/gas) and a ram mounted GPS to log my speed and tracks/maps.

In terms of the 1) thru 5) list above I did the following. I did not even have to buy an expensive dual sport kit.

1.) Headlight is just the stock headlight.

2.) The brake and tail light is the Acerbis Dual Sport Tail/Brake light for about $36. Here's a link to a pic:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... c_ID=80003

This tailight is mounted on the stock reart fender. I have a clever way to do this by removing the stock taillight and covering the stock taillight hole with an acrylic cover. This worked well. The Acerbis dual sport taillight is a standard bulb filament type that has the brake light, tail light, and license plate illumination. The brake light part is foot-activated with the rear brake pedal switch . This switch lets you get away with the stock stator by making the taillight slightly dimmer, and then full brightness when the rear brake pedal is depressed. The switch is sold by Fredette Racing for $30.:

http://frpoffroad.com/catalog/details.aspx?ProdID=73

3.) My mirror is just a Ken Sean folding dual sport mirror ($12) mounted on handlebar perch that accepts the standard 10mm thread. It's nice that you can fold it out of the way when riding.

4.) The horn I installed using a horn kit + battery. The battery (12V, 1.2 Amp-hr and only $12) is extremely small and tucked under the seat above the air box, and it is used only for the horn. Although, LED turn signals can be added if needed. Here is what I used for the battery:

http://www.powerfactorinc.com/Batteries/ub1213.htm

The horn kit is from Temecula Motorsports for $31. Wire the battery to this horn and it is plenty loud for the street (louder than my street-legal XR650L), and should last you a very long time beforer having to replace the battery (hours of continuous beeping):

http://www.temeculamotorsports.com/esho ... rn_Kit.htm

5.) The last thing is DOT approved tires. I didn't even to this...it wasn't even checked by the inspector.

All in all the total for my dual sport conversion was about $120.

However, this is for NM. I suppose if your state requires turn signals, it can still be done with the stock stator if you use LED turn signals. I have a way to do this, but never needed to do it.

- AtomicKDX
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Hey atomicKDX could you post a pic of of your handle bar setup and tell me where you got that headlight bag? I'm always looking for new ideas.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
AtomicKDX

Post by AtomicKDX »

Yes, no problem. Give me a day to take the pic and get it posted.

As for the number plate/headlight bag, it is great and holds down tight. It is not flopping all over. It is also only $30. I got it from:

http://dirt-bike-gear.com/number_plate_bags.html

>|<>QBB<
muddertrucker wrote:Hey atomicKDX could you post a pic of of your handle bar setup and tell me where you got that headlight bag? I'm always looking for new ideas.
[/u]