seat height to much!!

Got questions? We got answers....
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

seat height to much!!

Post by sparkingdogg »

hello all, new here... awesome site!!

just bought my first kdx, 1989 200. first 2 stroker in 20 years. been on the street, good to get back in the blue smoke and mud!

been searchin' for some mods on how to lower the bike. right now i am tippy-toes (i am 5-8) at a stop and it is no good at all.

the forks are slid all the way down in the triples, i am gonna slide those up, and maybe carve an inch from the seat. is there a different dog-bone link that can be installed to lower the back an inch or two? any help is greatly appreciated!

peace!
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

Ran into the same problem, a friends 90 kdx200 was too tall for her 5'8"also. Found out Kouba does not make a link for the early kdx's. Found this link http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showth ... p?t=124101 apparently from the owner of Kouba saying the stock links from a Suzuki dl1000 v-strom would work once you drilled a bigger hole in each end. We bought them from the local dealer ($15 each!). Drilled the holes out, installed them, raised the forks in the clamps and she was all set. It lowered the seat about an inch, we also shaved and shaped the seat foam a little.
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

totally awesome info!

thanks a million, bro!!! :grin:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I am 5'7". I recently grabbed up an 89 as well. I was nervous about the seat height at first, just puttering around the yard and such. I stumbled accross that same post linked above about the v-strom links. I had planned on ordering them. I got the old girl out this past weekend though and spent about 5 hours on it. I have pushed the front forks as far up in the triples as they go, and set the rear sag properly. I had no problems maneuvering the bike around. I would think you coudl get use to it very quickly if you ride it like it is. When you lower the rear, you have to consider the changes in the bikes geometry as well. Handling WILL be affected. I may pick up a set of those links since they are easy enough to change back out, but I really don't think it's necessary.

If you put them on, make sure you post back and let us know how you like the ride afterwards!!

J.