What reed block do i have?

Got questions? We got answers....
cleoent

What reed block do i have?

Post by cleoent »

I'll take pics if need be, i'm hoping the experts will know...

1990 KDX200, the reed block is not stock, it says boyseen on it (a sticker that's stuck to it anyway).

It's one full piece, the reed block and boot that the carb fits into. Also the reeds that are on it only have 2 retaining screws per side vs 3 of the stock reed cage.

I need to replace the reeds and have no idea which ones to buy :(
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

It sounds like the Boyesen "Rad Valve" to me.

Ron
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

is it a good upgrade? If so, what reeds do i get for it?
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
rompnstomp

Post by rompnstomp »

Yes, it's a good upgrade. I would get Boyeseen carbon fiber reeds
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I thought most considered the RAD valve to do nothing for you at best. And some on here have said it is actually worse than stock. Plus, you are forced to get the carbon fiber RAD reeds which don't last very long. I went back to stock from the RAD valve that was on my bike. But I haven't had a chance to fully evaluate performance with the stock setup.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

This is a radvalve (not for a KDX, but they are similar):

Re: 'Yes, it's a good upgrade. I would get Boyeseen carbon fiber reeds'

The radvalve has ONLY carbon fiber reeds. Boyesen doesn't make a fiberglas reed for it.

I had one. I thought it was worse than useless, as it was likely to fail (reeds come apart) long before it should've..and you don't want your piston chewing on bits of carbon fiber. I am not the only rider that has had that problem with the radvalve, so it's not 'just me.' Canadian Dave thought it wasn't worth the cost.

Besides the reeds giving up way too soon (in pieces in less than a years' time), the thing didn't work for diddle in the first place. It doesn't fit as well as it should, either.

Before I'd spend money on reed replacements, I'd be looking at a V-Force setup. Don't know if they have a III for the 'E' bike or not..used to know...fergot. They did make a II series for the 'E' bike.

To each his own. You couldn't give me one of 'em. Well..you could if I knew I could sell it to some unsuspecting rider.

Nah...I wouldn't do that. I did give my old one (with almost new reeds) to someone that thought they wanted one.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!