Dumb carb question

Got questions? We got answers....
Brian Y

Dumb carb question

Post by Brian Y »

Okay so I feel like complete moron. I recently cleaned my carb... recently purchased the bike and the PO left it sitting with gas for awhile, so just making sure.

Here is my question, I tried to remove the needle to check and see which one it was, and what clip position it is in... but it won't come out. I have the Kawasaki manual and they don't say anything about having to unscrew it or anything, but am I crazy or is my needle just stuck in there, or do you have to do something that I am obviously missing to get it out?

I removed the top cap and throttle cable, but cannot get the needle out of the slide.

So there is my dilemma.

The bike runs fine, but I just wanted to make sure I can get it out in the future.

Thanks for any advice.

Brian y
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

You have to look down in the top of the slide where the end of the throttle cable was hooked and use (I believe) a 6mm socket to take that bolt out. After that it should come right out the top of the slide. See # 14 below

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

It is indeed a 6mm, but be very careful with this nut. The metal is a special alloy of phuckmesium and decomposed toilet paper. Coupled with the very fine threads and limited access, this combines to give you fits if someone twisted it in with any authority at all.

This isn't to say you should avoid messing with it, just use the proper 6mm six point socket, and do use anti-seize on the threads when you gently put it back in.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

oops I was backasswards :mrgreen:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Brian Y

Post by Brian Y »

Thanks a ton. Now I know what I need to go track down.

Brian Y

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:It is indeed a 6mm, but be very careful with this nut. The metal is a special alloy of phuckmesium and decomposed toilet paper. Coupled with the very fine threads and limited access, this combines to give you fits if someone twisted it in with any authority at all.

This isn't to say you should avoid messing with it, just use the proper 6mm six point socket, and do use anti-seize on the threads when you gently put it back in.