Doesn't run while going downhill

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

AAaaahhhh....

It looked to be connected..and I wondered about that.

I guess it looks that way 'cuz it IS that way!

That ' brown dried fuel/oil gunk' doesn't look to be that to me...looks like a sealant/glue..something to hold the thing in place whilst it's assembled.

Thanks!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 07:41 pm Nov 24 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

There is no info about how to install one of these. I wonder what kind of sealant/glue I should use when I get the new one?
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I found that loctite 401 and 406 will work with rubber to metal both are resistant to gasoline, particularly 406.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

406 shows zero loss of initial strength when exposed to gasoline @ 100 hours! ....at 74º anyway. Good to note that it's no different with ethanol (all motor fuel hereabouts is not cut with 10% alcohol).

Good find!

Note fix time on 'etched' aluminum: 2-10 seconds!

As it appears on your pics, use on only one side...right?

Maybe it will come like a decal..with a removeable backing!

Consider the source

lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Yeah, that would be really nice if it already had backing. I talked with a friend and he has some 404 which is not as good as 406 but better than 401. It has really fast cure time too. You are right, the one in my pic is just stuck on the one side. The other side is not tacky at all.

Gas is all 10% ethanol around here too. There was one Shell station that until 1 month ago had 100% gas, but he said he could no longer get it.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Put any of the Loctite products on both sides of that sealing ring, assemble, and you will never have to worry about taking the jet block out again.

:shock:

I didn't look at their spec sheet to see if they listed a solvent for them. They're all cyanoacrylates, so I suppose acetone would work.

Couldn't stand it...looked it up (Inquiring minds wanna know! That, or brains of vast expanses of vapidity like finding out things..and then forgetting all about 'em):
Loctite wrote: 3. Excess adhesive can be dissolved with Loctite cleanup
solvents, nitromethane or acetone.
HERE!

Supposing you have no nitromethane on hand, get some nail polish remover (the kind with acetone, 'eh?) to get the old ring off. Hopefully Keihin used something similar on their assembly..and the acetone will get it unstuck lickity-unstickity!

If not acetone...there'a always lacquer thinner. ...or gas!! Kidding. I wouldn't suppose they would use any 'sticky' substance that was soluble with gasoline.

Clean up afterward (after removal of the old ring) with BraKleen? I love that stuff for both its intended application and for cleaning up most everything else. I've never quite figured how it's possible a whole can of fluid comes out such a small hole in so few seconds, though. Glad it's not $10 a can.

Yeah...you knew this. I'm not operating under the mistaken impression that I'm saying anything you don't already know...or know better. :wink:

Consider the source

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I like this...
I've never quite figured how it's possible a whole can of fluid comes out such a small hole in so few seconds, though. Glad it's not $10 a can.
LOL. I always get exactly that same feeling. "how the heck can this thing be empty already??!!"

J.
GS

Post by GS »

Cause it comes out like a firehose.....BUT GETS THE JOB DONE!!

Think I have 'bout 6 cans around here somewhere..... :lol:
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I finally got my order from Sudco today and all the of the crap I ordered but didn't need to get to the minimum order was of course the correct parts. But the 021.532 O-ring I ordered was wrong. The bag at 021-532 on it, but inside was two throttle springs instead of two jet block o-rings.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

That sucks. Sudco should make it right though without too much trouble I bet.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I called Chad at Sudco on Monday and it came in on Friday. I used Loctite 404 (adhesive for rubber to metal bonding) to place the o-ring in the jet block. Something has to be used to hold the o-ring down while installing it or it could get pinched and 404 holds up to gasoline. I put the carb back to gether today and it runs great now. I have the float level at 18mm and warmed it up to 140 degrees and got on the same hill it wouldn't run on before and it didn't drop any RPMs even while compressing the suspension. The bike is running great now! Thanks for the many suggestions and help.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Thats great news lemmy!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Great!!

You DO realize the only way it got fixed is 'cuz YOU took apart the 'DO NOT EVER TAKE THIS APART'...parts.....

Cool!!!

Congrats for keeping after it 'til done!!!!

:mrgreen:

Consider the source

GS

Post by GS »

That's great news!! Thanks for the update! Persistence pays again. :supz:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A question about the jetblock1 pic:

Are the A and B rings joined together at the ring? The rings do look to be joined.

There looks to be two notches on the block, but only one of them has 'gasket' in it.

What happens to the other notch with no gasket to seal it up? It's sealed by the 'main' part of the gasket? It's particularly thin right there, isn't it?

Just wondering how this part, a not generally moved or messed with part, came to cause the leak.

Maybe somone soaked the thing in carb cleaner without taking the block out?

...just curious about it all.......

Consider the source

lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Yes, A & B are joined and even on the new ring there is nothing that connects the ring at A and the main ring. And yes, the main part of the gasket would seal where the notch is. It does look thin there at that section, not sure if that is just the angle of the photo or if it was really that way. I assume the carb was soaked at some point and that caused the problem. If you follow instructions in the manual, it never mentions taking this out (and Sudco says not to take it out) but the Kawi manual does mention dipping the carb.

I got a pretty decent deal on this bike, but if I hadn't been injured, been more familiar with the KDX and could have ridden it some, I could have probably gotten this bike for almost nothing. The power valve was stuck open, it wouldn't idle going down hill and the jetting was WAY rich (165 main, 48 pilot).