Oil Injection

Got questions? We got answers....
Kurt Franz

Oil Injection

Post by Kurt Franz »

Anyone have experience installing the oil injection system from a KMX200 on to a KDX200?

Not interested in hearing why I should not do it, pros and cons etc....just need to hear from someone who is familiar with it or has actually done it.

Thanks....
1987 BMW K75
1973 Yamaha CT3
2004 Kawasaki KDX200
1981 Yamaha PW50
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

What are you planning to do, dual-sport it? Assuming you can make it work, how many tanks of gas will it take to burn through the container full of oil?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

when I had the sr model (125) back in the 90. I could go quite some ways before refilling the oil tank (probably 400 miles)
Can't comment on the install from 1 model to another, but what I can tell you is use good oil and jet the bike again if you're gonna switch from 1 brand to another. I seized 3 engine because of that (I was young and had a very limited knowledge at the time :roll: )
Oil may not be so critical anymore but just my .02 cents
Good luck
wilf

Edit: mine was for 90% street use and saw a LOT of WOT 80-85 mph on the highway
Kurt Franz

Post by Kurt Franz »

Yes - I dual sport it and want the auto lube on there for 2 reasons:

Simplicity at the petrol station

Lubrication when engine braking - tired of clutching when letting off the throttle at high speeds.

I live in northern Ohio and have to ride about an hour before getting to the places I like to ride - which are mainly forest roads and wooded trails.

From my understanding, you actually use less oil with the autolube.

thx
1987 BMW K75
1973 Yamaha CT3
2004 Kawasaki KDX200
1981 Yamaha PW50
Kurt Franz

Post by Kurt Franz »

Based on my needs this appears to be the perfect bike for me.

http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/200602/24/94 ... 164450.jpg

It is called a KDX200SR and is not available in the US. From everything I could find about the bike, it is the same as the US model KDX, but has all of the street legal equipment, has oil injection, and dual sport tires.

Different than the KMX200 which is somewhat different than this model.

Time to find the parts and get to convertin...... :grin:

The shipping will kill me once I locate the stuff....really only need the oil injection, the oil tank, and whatever other parts are related to this.

additional pics..enjoy

http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/200602/18/94 ... 442653.jpg

http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity/9055/ks.jpg

http://www.bikeguide.jp/search-sys/img/ ... 803008.JPG
[/img]
1987 BMW K75
1973 Yamaha CT3
2004 Kawasaki KDX200
1981 Yamaha PW50
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I use to have an old Land Rover and would buy parts from the UK all the time. Even with shipping it was still cheaper than buying them here in the US.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I think there are galleys in the case that are not opened on the non-oil injected motors. I think you'll find you have to split the cases to do the conversion. Maybe not.....

I had a couple of bikes with oil injection. I liked 'em, just don't get trash in the oil tank!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Kurt Franz

Post by Kurt Franz »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:I think there are galleys in the case that are not opened on the non-oil injected motors. I think you'll find you have to split the cases to do the conversion. Maybe not.....
Most likely this is true. I am trying to find a blow up of the oil injected KDX engine so I can get the low down on what is actually necessary.

Could be a big PITA and not worth it
1987 BMW K75
1973 Yamaha CT3
2004 Kawasaki KDX200
1981 Yamaha PW50
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'From everything I could find about the bike, it is the same as the US model KDX...'

That is NOT true. Absolutely not.

All sorts of instances of things that are different, and there are a number of examples on this board of riders going round and round about parts that don't fit, can't be found, and are not documented anywhere.

Differences are not of any huge importance as far as how the bike works, but thinking the two models are 'the same' will lead to quite a few problems.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Kurt Franz

Post by Kurt Franz »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Re: 'From everything I could find about the bike, it is the same as the US model KDX...'

That is NOT true. Absolutely not.

All sorts of instances of things that are different, and there are a number of examples on this board of riders going round and round about parts that don't fit, can't be found, and are not documented anywhere.

Differences are not of any huge importance as far as how the bike works, but thinking the two models are 'the same' will lead to quite a few problems.
yeah - I hear ya - I have come to the conclusion that I might just be better off getting new tires for my 1973 Yamaha CT3 175 enduro and putting around on that around town. Wish I could get my hands on a KDX200SR motor though.
1987 BMW K75
1973 Yamaha CT3
2004 Kawasaki KDX200
1981 Yamaha PW50