Help with front master cylinder

Got questions? We got answers....
notenuftoys

Help with front master cylinder

Post by notenuftoys »

My front brake quit working, so I've pulled the master cylinder apart. The brake handle wasn't applying any pressure, that's why I started with the master cylinder. I've never changed the brake fluid, and I'm not sure the previous owner did, as there's a bunch of gunk built up on the bottom. I cleaned most of it out with brake cleaner, but the little rubber has hardened and come off Is this a big deal? Is there any other good way to get it thoroughly clean?

And by the look of the brake line, a replacement is needed. Where's the best place to get one (other than OEM)?
2001 KDX 200 - FMF pipe, VForce 3 reeds, RB Designs carb mod and head
SVandal

Re: Help with front master cylinder

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
notenuftoys wrote:My front brake quit working, so I've pulled the master cylinder apart. The brake handle wasn't applying any pressure, that's why I started with the master cylinder. I've never changed the brake fluid, and I'm not sure the previous owner did, as there's a bunch of gunk built up on the bottom. I cleaned most of it out with brake cleaner, but the little rubber has hardened and come off Is this a big deal? Is there any other good way to get it thoroughly clean?

And by the look of the brake line, a replacement is needed. Where's the best place to get one (other than OEM)?
I bought a newer used MC of Eblay along with a line from a kx250. My WR250 MC worked fine and the line did as well. The only real issue was the clearance as each bike has their own setup.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I see front MCs listed on ebay now.

Invest in a pressure bleeder...replace the brake fluid at least once a year, and you will have many fewer problems with your brakes.

Put it on your maintenance schedule with your fork and shock services.

:wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

fork and shock services? :?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yeah...you know...scrape the old sludge out of the hydraulics and putty-knife in some new sludge?
Last edited by canyncarvr on 07:46 pm Nov 17 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

notenuftoys

Post by notenuftoys »

Will a KX brake line work as a replacement?

And where do I get the new sludge? :lol:
2001 KDX 200 - FMF pipe, VForce 3 reeds, RB Designs carb mod and head
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A KX brakeline for USD forks? Sure. It'll work. :hmm: You'll have to wrap the excess length around something a few times. Maybe the handlebars?

Kiddin. No. It won't. 1. It is way too long. 2. The banjo fitting on the caliper end has a different angle to it than does the KDX.

New sludge? Put a post in the 'wanted' forum here. Maybe somebody that's just changed theirs will send you what they spooned out. It might be 'spensive...having been tested so thoroughly and all.

Consider the source

SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:A KX brakeline for USD forks? Sure. It'll work. :hmm: You'll have to wrap the excess length around something a few times. Maybe the handlebars?

Kiddin. No. It won't. 1. It is way too long. 2. The banjo fitting on the caliper end has a different angle to it than does the KDX.

New sludge? Put a post in the 'wanted' forum here. Maybe somebody that's just changed theirs will send you what they spooned out. It might be 'spensive...having been tested so thoroughly and all.
The kx line I picked up from a newer kx fit on the close side of comfortable on my 94 kdx and I used the same routing that the kx uses. I can measure it if needed and even better, I am willing to just sell my whole front brake setup (with the wr mc instead of a kdx one).
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

"And by the look of the brake line, a replacement is needed. Where's the best place to get one (other than OEM)?"

Those brake lines are pretty tough, you know.
If it hasn't got a hole in it I'd get a rebuild kit for your MC and continue on down the trail.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Dale

Post by Dale »

I have a complete MC, line and caliper off a 98 KDX220 I may want to sell. I switched to a KX250 USD front end. I'm just not sure if I should seperate that from the whole front end. Call me and we can discuss.
919-554-1790 Raleigh NC

Dale
SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:"And by the look of the brake line, a replacement is needed. Where's the best place to get one (other than OEM)?"

Those brake lines are pretty tough, you know.
If it hasn't got a hole in it I'd get a rebuild kit for your MC and continue on down the trail.
I only replaced mine because the metal hard line on the bottom was cracked. I could either buy a new hard line for 30.00 or a used kx line for 12.00. The KX line works great and routes through the same place.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:A KX brakeline for USD forks? Sure. It'll work. :hmm: You'll have to wrap the excess length around something a few times. Maybe the handlebars?

The kx line I picked up from a newer kx fit on the close side of comfortable on my 94 kdx and I used the same routing that the kx uses. I can measure it if needed and even better, I am willing to just sell my whole front brake setup (with the wr mc instead of a kdx one).
If you used 'the same routing' the KX uses...then you have USD forks.

Where do you read in this thread or come to the understanding that the original poster has USD forks?

I don't..and didn't.

Hence..a KX front brake line will not fit on a RSU forked KDX. Or...'A KX brakeline for USD forks' will not fit on an OEM forked KDX.

Period.

Consider the source

SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:>|<>QBB<
SVandal wrote:>|<>QBB<

If you used 'the same routing' the KX uses...then you have USD forks.

Where do you read in this thread or come to the understanding that the original poster has USD forks?

I don't..and didn't.

Hence..a KX front brake line will not fit on a RSU forked KDX. Or...'A KX brakeline for USD forks' will not fit on an OEM forked KDX.

Period.
So, would you say the USD forks are considerably longer than stock forks? Otherwise the routing can be replicated. USD routing is pretty simple to achieve unless the calipers are radically different.

Not to mention this is a good excuse to do a fork conversion :grin: . I did a hybrid because I broke a brake lever, bent the handlebars, and the rear tire was wearing out. Figured I couldn't find a better time to do it.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

This has gotten way off into the weeds...and I can't say as I know why.

The first post does NOT have anything to do with USD/KX forks. At least, not that he says, not that his sig says, not that I recall him having said.

It's not that '..USD forks are considerably longer than stock forks?', although that is true.

It IS that KDX forks/brakes route high, KX forks route low. KDX brakes route around, KX forks/brakes route underneath.

Using a KX line on an OEM RSU forkset is silly. The OEM forks do not have the molded in protection beads for the line on the bottom of the fork leg that the KX USD forks have. The OEM RSU forks do not have the screw bosses to mount the necessary brakeline protection. The banjo angles ARE different between OEM RSU and KX USD. You can use KX routing on USD forks with a KDX caliper, but you have to do some grinding on the caliper to get the KX banjo to fit.

Can the KX routing be replicated on a RSU KDX fork? Yes.

Would it be foolish and of absolutely no use to do that? Yes.

If anyone chooses to do that for any reason, do I care? No.

Now...let's all have a happy face!!! :grin: :grin:

Consider the source

SVandal

Post by SVandal »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:This has gotten way off into the weeds...and I can't say as I know why.

The first post does NOT have anything to do with USD/KX forks. At least, not that he says, not that his sig says, not that I recall him having said.

It's not that '..USD forks are considerably longer than stock forks?', although that is true.

It IS that KDX forks/brakes route high, KX forks route low. KDX brakes route around, KX forks/brakes route underneath.

Using a KX line on an OEM RSU forkset is silly. The OEM forks do not have the molded in protection beads for the line on the bottom of the fork leg that the KX USD forks have. The OEM RSU forks do not have the screw bosses to mount the necessary brakeline protection. The banjo angles ARE different between OEM RSU and KX USD. You can use KX routing on USD forks with a KDX caliper, but you have to do some grinding on the caliper to get the KX banjo to fit.

Can the KX routing be replicated on a RSU KDX fork? Yes.

Would it be foolish and of absolutely no use to do that? Yes.

If anyone chooses to do that for any reason, do I care? No.

Now...let's all have a happy face!!! :grin: :grin:
For the record, I never saw the kind of forks he was asking about, I just wanted to recommend buying used as they are pretty good. As to the routing, KDX and KX (from what little I have seen) both use the same routing on USD forks. They may have changed that (hopefully as the bottom route was asking for a rock to the line). Anyways, I agree, :grin: for everyone and back on topic.