Damper rod holder info

Got questions? We got answers....
gertie6car

Damper rod holder info

Post by gertie6car »

Hi Guys,

I have searched on here for details of the tool required to hold the damper rod whilst the outer bolt is undone, I seem only to be able to find details of the tool for later forks. I have conventional forks fitted to a 1990 kdx 2oo, is the tool the same or different?

Can someone tell me if the end of the tool is male to fit into female on the end of the rod or is the end of the tool female to screw over (so to speak!) a male thread on the end of the rod? It seems like it is a nut welded onto a tube, anyone know the nut size and the max tube diameter it can be?

I need to replace leaky seals so I need to strip them down.

Hope you can help!

Cheers

Gert
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

You've seen this I suppose?

I believe the nut for the "E" series is a 29mm not a 27mm like the "H" uses

I have Fredette's tool, it has a 29mm on one end and a 27mm on the other

I tried making my own, but never found any place with that large a metric nut. I tried a large sae nut, it was close but slipped. Mine was really tight
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

Thanks for the response Mr Wibbens!

which end fits the 29 or the 27 - the 29 mm end by the sounds of it? Is it just a matter of using a nut to push into a female hex hole so to speak or it the nut thread used/important?

cheers and thanks for your help, its much appreciated!

gert
grump99

Post by grump99 »

If you cant find the parts you need, there is another way. Compress the fork and use an impact wrench on the external bolt. It has worked for me in the past.

Good luck.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
grump99 wrote:If you cant find the parts you need, there is another way. Compress the fork and use an impact wrench on the external bolt. It has worked for me in the past.

Good luck.
It did not work on mine, it was pretty froze up

I even took mine to a shop, I'd given up. Went back a few days later and he too had pretty much given up

Thats how I did my Vstrom forks. Just left them together, did not need to compress, spring pressure was enough

I just had to have a tool made for the allen bolt. Needed to be longer than I had. So I took an old allen key and had it welded to an old 3/8 drive socket
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 02:08 pm Nov 02 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
gertie6car wrote:Thanks for the response Mr Wibbens!

which end fits the 29 or the 27 - the 29 mm end by the sounds of it? Is it just a matter of using a nut to push into a female hex hole so to speak or it the nut thread used/important?

cheers and thanks for your help, its much appreciated!

gert
Pretty sure it is 29

The nut just sits in the female hex of the damper, to keep it from turning

I spose you could make something other than a nut. Like a piece of bar stock, 17mm x 29mm. Just need something to hold the hex in place while you loosen the allen bolt
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

one of the few tools I dont have is an impact wrench - cost a fortune in the uk!

spring pressure has always done it for me in the past but not on this set! not even when the forks are compressed!

sorry to be thick but would a 29 mm (it is 29 mmm right?) allen key in a socket work or is a hole up the centre required?

thanks in advance

Gert
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

29mm allen should word, no hole required. Dunno where you going to find one?

Should be able to take a flashlight and see what's needed down there

I can't understand why an impact wrench would cost any more over there

The compressor is the spendy part.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

Hi thanks for the info, I intend using a piece of hex bar stock rather than a nut, easier to get hold of! cheers GERT