Engine rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
SteveWR450f

Engine rebuild

Post by SteveWR450f »

I love my 2 kdxs so much thinking about trying to get another spare motor from ebay. Already have a top end.

Was thinking over the winter, to have someone completely go thru the engine. Does Ron Black do something like that? Eric Gorr ? Any idea of cost? Any people to recommend. I live in the Pacific North wet (Oregon). It raining hard right now so thinking of the winter projects.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Why don't you do it yourself? With very little experience, I split the cases on my first KDX, replaced all the main tranny bearings, sent the crank out for a lower bearing replacement (the only thing I can think of that you really need to have done professionally, for crank half allignment), and so on. It really isn't all that hard IMO, if you have a fairly clean area to work in, you can do it yourself you can take the time to do it right saving many hundreds of dollars, more like thousands over a riding career. I didn't have any special tools, but I did jerry-rig a puller or two. Once you do that, you will have broken the reliance on any shop forever....you can do it all.

Nowadays, with digital cameras, you can easily photo each assembly as you take it apart, making it easier to reassemble than if you had a detailled shop manual.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

Hi, I would second that! Just done it myself, really quite straight forward, there is an online manual and remamber to take lots of digital pics as you go! There are some good youtube demo's of how to do it, try this for a starter!

I would have bought the tusk tools for crank removal and cases splitting had I not been so miserly and not wanted to pay shipping to the uk! Will get them when I am in the usa next!

Hope this is of some help!

Cheers