Any advantages RMX over KDX?

Got questions? We got answers....
firffighter
Supporting Member

Any advantages RMX over KDX?

Post by firffighter »

OK, no flaming here. Just curious if the RMX250 would have any advantages over my KDX220?

A local guy wants to trade his '94 RMX250 which is in great condition for my KDX220 with all the mods except KX forks.

Would my modded 220 give much up to the RMX? His RMX has a full FMF exhaust, jetted and RM head gasket.

What about suspension? Would the RMX have an advantage here?

Dont know much about the RMX except that they were supposed to have more get up and go than the KDX.
'
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

dunno about RMX but I'll tell you what I've heard many times: I wish I had kept my KDX"...
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Been there, done that.

I sold my '92 E series that I had bought with 500 original miles on it, then modded it out. Big mistake. I still miss that bike and cant convince the guy I sold it to, to give her back!

I wasnt really looking to sell my KDX, but after hooking a buddy up with a bike, we looked at a couple of RMX's and they seem like the KDX but with maybe better suspension.

I know they are probably tougher to get parts for since they stopped making them 10 years ago.

Just curious, probably wont do the trade, but seems interesting.
'
ivan_j

Post by ivan_j »

I have 96 KDX220 w. FMF Gnarly and harder springs in forks and a riding buddy have a 90 RMX220 stock with rusted forks. Suzuki have musch stronger pull from low rpms and have no power kick - pulls like 4stroke. But is heavier. Engine works like 1960 Jawa 250 :roll: , but KDX jingels like 125 crosser :mrgreen:
________
Bmw Sauber F1.09
Last edited by ivan_j on 12:40 pm Feb 15 2011, edited 1 time in total.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I've ridden a RMX but an earlier model, first or second year out...it didn't have much power compared to other 250's, not enough to make it superior to the '90 KDX I owned at the time. I remember thinking I liked my KDX better. The RMX is a better open field runner or competition bike, but is not as well suited for survival trail rides IMO. I think they upped the advertised HP from 40 to 50 in 1995, so the later bikes would probably be much better for aggressive riders. I wouldn't mind having one if I could get one cheap, but it wouldn't replace my KDX.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Ride it and see how you like it. I personally wouldn't, but a 98-99 RMX might be a different story. THey were the best right before production/importing stopped. Smooth power, lots of it. Showa conventionals. Gonna be preference, but probably not going to like the '94 over your 220.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Yeah, just curious.
'