Little spring on cylinder ?

Got questions? We got answers....
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Little spring on cylinder ?

Post by jc7622 »

I have a question. There is a little spring that is shown at the very bottom of the parts diagram (part # 92081). It is the spring that fits in the nut and holds a little ball bearing on the KIPS mechanism.

Either I lost mine or it didn't have one, either way I can't find it. Does anyone have one laying around that they can measure? I need the length and diameter. Hopefully I can find one that is similar at Ace or Napa or some place.

Last edited by jc7622 on 09:49 pm Oct 24 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

92081?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Yes, 92081. I looked on the Kawasaki parts site hoping it would give a size but it didn't.

It is at the bottom of the diagram. From the bottom to the top it shows a bolt, the spring, two washers and then the ball.

What is it's purpose?
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

It applies pressure to the detent ball part 600 that, in turn, applies a force to the flat spot on what the microfiche calls the "LH valve rod gear", part 16085 (three pieces in from the left-hand cover).

The entire purpose of this assembly is to make the KIPS opening more discrete. When the KIPS governor opens (~ 6k RPM) the detent assy resists the force to open the KIPS to a degree that, when it does open, it does so with more of a snap as opposed to just rolling open. It does so because part 600 is being pushed, by the spring, against that flat spot on the gear (on the underside of the gear). At some point the force coming from the governor overcomes the detent assembly and it opens abruptly.

I believe the intent is that the sudden opening of the KIPS works in conjunction with the timing that changes at that magic number, 6k RPM. Others can describe that better than I can but it all relates to better performance.

I don't have the bike to measure it but I can tell you it's no flimsy spring. I don't believe you're at some stark disadvantage without it (some folks actually remove it to get the powervalve to start opening sooner).
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Did you get this sorted out? Just pick a spring that fits, is of reasonable tension..and you will be fine.

I can take a pic of one to get you and idea of the wire diameter and such if you like.

Let me know.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I'm not running the spring right now and it seems to run fine. I did some measuring and know how big it needs to be for the ball to contact the gear, but I have no idea how much pressure it should be exerting.

I'm placing an order for some OEM parts today or tomorrow and may order one ($2) just to see if I am missing something. I don't think it was in there and I know the previous owner didn't remove it because he lives down the street. I did the first top end rebuild so I know it wasn't left out in the past by accident.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

For $2..might as well get one. By the time you go to the hardware store, sort through their spring drawers, get one that needs to be cut, filed, fit..you just wasted a whole lot more than $2 worth of time. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I have experimented with taken mine out, but I haven't gone on a ride yet. It seemed to be keeping my KIPs from returning completely to the rest/idle position. It would go mostly back to the right position, but not completely. I took it out and now it goes back all the way. Just putting an extra washer in there didn't help.
cbaumann

Post by cbaumann »

I am running without the spring and it runs great.
1998 KDX 200