New owner of a 2006 KDX200, looking for info

Got questions? We got answers....
flux_capacitor

New owner of a 2006 KDX200, looking for info

Post by flux_capacitor »

Hey gang, I'm a noob to this site, but not to forums in general, so I did use the search function, but trying to find out what the differences in a 2006 KDX200 are to previous years. I bought this bike it was almost new, but did not come with any sort of manuals or tools, just trying to build my information toolbox! Any other tips you wanna throw in here for me is welcome too!

Thanks in advance!
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

If memorry serves me right from 95 to 05 only difference is BNG (Bold New Graphics) Everything else is the same...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

89-94 "E" models were all the same except for forks of the 93 and 94's and an extra waterpump seal on the 90- 94's and 95 and up "H" models were all the same with the exception of stiffer clutch springs on the 96 and up models ....

Bold new graphics each year though! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
flux_capacitor

Post by flux_capacitor »

Ok, cool, I am actually glad to hear the only real difference is 'BNG'! That means finding parts is easier... I noticed on Fredette's site alot of his products only go up to like 2003 and wanted to make sure my bike was compatible.

Thanks guys, looking forward to learning more and being able to contribute.
DirtBikeDad
Supporting Member

Post by DirtBikeDad »

Welcome to the KDX smokers lounge flux_capacitor! Go post a picture of that pristine bike in the Members Bike Profiles forum so we can all drool.
DirtBikeDad
Jeremiah 29:11-13
"That's not flying, it's falling............with Style"
'99 Honda CR250R (Keith)
'99 Honda CR250R (Wilson 15)
'00 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior (Travis 13)
'90 Kawasaki 220 Bayou (Farm Toy)
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Welcome!

Next to free things to start:

Get manual if you don't have one

Grease whole bike

Search tool is your friend. Read up on how to jet your bike, and read up on suspension stuff. If you plan to do any mods to your bike, my personal recommendation is to start with suspension. Almost no one can giv er all she's got with the factory susp.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
flux_capacitor

Post by flux_capacitor »

Thanks guys, I'll go post some pics. Suspension I can tell already is on the list of things to do. Reckon I need to go get a manual, too. What's a good place to get one? My local dealer is a joke and I won't give them any money on principle.

I am having one issue I can't figure out...

Whole bike is stock, low hours, but there is some spooge dripping where the pipe meets the muffler... everything is welded shut on the stock system and no way to check the packing for blowback which dirt bike dad recommended to me on a local forum... When I say dripping I actually mean blowing all over the swingarm, rear brake caliper, and rotor. :shock: Should I RTV the gap shut where the pipes meet? Or is that a bad idea? 2 strokes are so different than my big bore thumpers!!!

Thanks again guys.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

BNG?

But....but....but....I happen to know that isn't the ONLY thing that changes over the later years.

SOME frames are different colors!!!

sheeesh...BNG the only improvement....my heavens...... :roll:

How could anyone buy a KDX as new as an '06 and be selling it already? Who'd they steal it from? I don't suppose they would say............:hmm:

Yep! What fuzzy said..mostly: Grease it, tune your suspension (with or without modification), jet it properly.

I'd guess FRP doesn't update his catalog labels 'cuz they don't matter.

Well...unless you're buying frame paint or ordering BOG!

But wait...there's more!!! Not all FUEL TANKS are the same color, neither!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

"Whole bike is stock, low hours, but there is some spooge dripping where the pipe meets the muffler"

Not at all unusual.
There should be a rubber collar that seals the joint between the pipe and the silencer. That collar has two grooves in it that zip-ties fit nicely. Pulled tight, they will keep oil from leaking out there.
The silencer can be drained of excess oil through a bolt on the bottom near the back.
You may want to open the carb and write down what jets are installed. If truly stock it is probably a bit rich.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

RTV works there. Maybe the OEM collar is missing? You can use a piece of whatever fits to replace that collar if you wish. The OEM piece is spendy. I use a section of Hi-Temp hose from NAPA..similar to 'green-stripe' hose.

There is no packing in the OEM silencer.

Get the jetting cleaned up and that problem will go away (the drippy spoos).

Took only a quick look, but I don't see OEM manuals on the web. Likely they are available only from dealers..don't know for sure. There is an on-line version...5 years for $35..available with a click on the top-right of this page. It has some very nice pictures, 'fer sure. I'm old...I like a printed manual I can write things in, dog-ear corners, and misplace....... :cry:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Welcome, Flux! Love Hobbs!!!
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
How could anyone buy a KDX as new as an '06 and be selling it already? Who'd they steal it from? I don't suppose they would say............:hmm:

I bought an 05 last year. It was in immaculate condition. The original owner won it in a contest. He didn't want a dirt bike and did ride it much so he traded it in on a quad. A friend of mine bought it and rode it a couple years. He got the four-stroke bug and sold it to me. Eventually he got sick of the four-stroke and came back to two-strokes, an orange one, but still a two-stroke. I rode it for a year and then took it apart and sent the parts all over North America where it lives on.