Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KX 125 buying help

Post by scheckaet »

OK finally found an 03 KX 125.
Problem 1: engine not runnning
Problem 2: sounds too good to be true, guy wants 750 for it while everything around here won't go below 1500 (with a running engine though)
So I'm a bit worried it might be HOT.

Question 1: would 750 be the going price for a non workin engine?
The guy mentioned sumthing about the base gasket needed to be replaced and some oring on the top end??? Dunno what he's talking about there
It seems like an easy fix (even if it isn't no big deal just want the frame and wheels anyway)

Question 2: how do I check it's not stolen?
Vin #?

I would have the guy sign a bill of sale since he doesn't have the title (seems shaddy again)

What should I do?
help

Wilf
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

1)I would run the VIN through the police.
2)I don't think I have ever bought a bike with title, even the dealership gave me a BOS for a used RT 180.
3) sure as hell don't let this guy know where you live. Or what you have.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Hey, hey, hey. You found one.

That is an awesome price for a complete bike, even if it isn't running. You could get something for the motor, especailly if you fix it. Shifter cart racers use MX motors. You will be way ahead if you buy it and having the whole bike will make the build much simpler.

The frame I bought off Ebay didn't come with a title. I was a little worried about it also. It came from NJ where they don't tag or title dirt bikes. I searched all over the net for some place that I could run the VIN. I think the only place it can be done is at the poilce.

If you feel lucky you could just buy it. If you absolutely can't sleep at night not knowing you could run the VIN at the local PD to be sure. My guess is that everythig is OK and that it is not stolen. I wouldn't base it solely on the fact that you are getting a killer deal. Whatever you do don't just walk away from it without either buying it or checking it out. I say go for it. Of the four bikes that we have that we bought used only one of them came with a title. The other three came with a bill of sale. I wouldn't let that and the good price scare you off.

If you do get it I would be happy to show you where to cut, grind, etc. The fabrication wasn't the hard part for me, it was the re-assembly and figuring out what parts I did and didn't have. But remember that I bought a box containing a partial bike. Lots of items were missing or non-usable. It still worked out though.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I really REALLY want it, I'll check it out tomorrow after work but i'm realy REALLY WORRIED, especially since I called him and asked for the vin #, said he'd call me back since he was "busy" and haven't heard from the guy... :roll:
If I go for it i'll DEFINITELY have him sign a bill of sale.
thanks for the tips and wish me luck
GS

Post by GS »

Perhaps go see the bike and just quietly write down the VIN for yourself. Then ck with the local police. I always ask for ID when I buy something like that and write it down, too.

If you buy hot stuff.....you've only paid someone else to steal it for you!! And, usually YA KNOW something stinks!!

Your mileage may vary....but sounds like you have a conscience, too.

So....good on you!!

If not....well then I hope I didn't wreck your day!!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Does the guy happen to live in Settler's Crossing? We bought a bike from a guy there. He had a garage full of bikes for sale (about 5). I searched his phone number on Craigslist and found where he had sold more. He told us it was his nephew's bike, but now I'm not so sure. I think he bought and sold bikes. I know that he was a licensed used car dealer. We got a bill of sale for the bike we bought from him.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I wouldn't be concerned about a lack of title. Most off road bikes don't have 'em. Run the VIN if you feel something isn't right.
$750 for an '03 with a blown motor is an O.K. deal, great for a hybrid start.

Lets face it, an '03 will probably need $3-400 in chassis parts, more if you get into the suspension, to make new again. With motor work you're probably at $5-600 to redo the whole bike as an excellent condition '03 KX125.

If I was going to do another hybrid I'd get it if the chassis looked good. If I wanted an '03 KX125 I'd hesitate
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Reputed to be the best KX chassis for the hybrid build.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

bike sold last night but not to me :evil: :cry:
Probably better off, deal seemed way too shaddy
Thanks for all the replies