Kips removal

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Lemmy-
That sounds about right- it kind of snaps open and closes slow. You can get it to open a little smoother and a bit earlier by removing that ball detent and spring under the LH slotted cover . . .
Lemmy - If you completely remove the detent ball the KIPS will open very smoothly which might not be preferred. Try it that way (because it's so easy to see) but another option is to make sure you have two washers under the bolt that holds the detent spring in place. If you don't get two in there. If you already do consider adding a third to "loosen" the action without removing it altogether.

Amongst all of those options you'll likely prefer one. Let us know how that goes.

There's another way to change the powervalve opening timing but it takes more work.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Thanks for the suggestions. But I have looked at the fiche and the cyclepedia.com manuals and I do not see a detent ball and spring. It just says remove the main rod nut, gear and bearing with a 10mm wrench.

Where is a good place to hold the shaft while removing or installing that 10mm nut? Is it ok to tighten and loosen at the end of the roatational travel of that rod in each direction?
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Look into the left end of the main shaft with the cover off (at the nut). See a flat spot near the bottom of the assy? You should see the top of the little ball right there. Then just drop your eyes down and you'll see the nut/washers that hold the spring and the ball in place.

I had the same concern with that nut . . . but you should be fine.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I took the bike on the first real ride since I fixed the KIPs and it ran much better. However one problem that I have had for a while now is that the bike starts and idles great, even after it runs 5-10 minutes. But after riding for a while (30+minutes) it won't idle or if it does just barely even with the idle screw all the way in. I was thinking this could be kips related and was hoping fixing the kips would fix the problem but it didn't. so I looked and noticed that when I look under the slotted cover, the KIPs doesn't return all the way to the rest position when it is idling, it is close...maybe 1 tooth on the gear, but is this good enough and is it normal? I had one washer under the detent spring/ball screw so I put another in there and it made no difference in the KIPs returning. So I took the spring and ball out and it returns now.