Muffler Curiosity

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Muffler Curiosity

Post by Mark W »

Why, or make that how is it that the KDX stock muffler never needs repacking? All the other mufflers on the other bikes need to be repacked every so many hours. Is this a good design or does it hinder the bike in some way? If it is not a bad design, why aren't more mufflers made this way?

This is just something that has been bugging me a little.

Mark
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Weight.... pure and simple!

A can that big and heavy has plenty of room to hide noise so no repacking is needed...there is no packing!

The high performance silencers are much lighter and smaller and use the packing for sound deadning......
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

This is the same difference as a car muffler and a glass pack (Cherry Bombs, Thrush etc.)
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

I still remember blowig out a glass pack muffler on an old Ford Galaxy 500 that we had souped up in high school. Cruising down hwy 61 at about 70 and having that thing come apart scared the crap out of us. Had to pick up the girlfriends after that and they were not too impressed driving around in that car that night.

So, how much of a weight savings is there in replacing the stock muffler with a lighter one?

Mark
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

I gotta ask cause I am just a redneck, maybe if I was a true redneck I would already know though... What happens other than prolly sounding really really loud, and being annoying to other riders, if a rider ran little to no packing in his aftermarket silencer?
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

From what I have read you actually lose power. I think its to do with back pressure etc. And no sireee I aint no redneck. :rolleyes: Someone else should chime in here... I hope....

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Two stroke silencers are a critical part of the 2-stroke cycle. Without going deep into the 2-stroke exhaust theory, the silencer needs the packing to do it's job at the end of the stinger efficiently (as designed). The lack of packing will affect the performance in a negative way.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

.....Unless it's a high-RPM only 2-cycle application....
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project