What brand of piston to order.

Got questions? We got answers....
Dale

What brand of piston to order.

Post by Dale »

I had the same OEM piston problem you have all heard about. Mine sent it through the bottom of both engine halves. I chased it with money, money and then more money. I'm getting ready to go to Hatfield Macoy in WV and want to put a new piston and rings in this week before we go. The cylinder is new, has about 20 hours on it. My question is how do I know what size piston to get assuming it is not scored? I've read that Wiesco only has 1 standard size. I've also read there are sizes based on a letter on the cylinder? So, my question is what brand and how do I determine size without tearing it down first? And, where do you get the best price on the brand you think I should use?

Thanks. Dale
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Wiseco is fine. Their 'one size' works...no need to fuss with the alpha designations (.0005" (close) difference between'm) from Pro-X.

If time is tight, make sure you are getting the parts you think you are the first time...the small end rod bearing for example isn't going to be in the 'kit'. The Wiseco kits do come with rings.

A matter of some curiousity: To this day there are folks that argue that the grenading 220 piston is an internet fable..not true...and 'they' never heard of such a thing.

Certainly there are other piston brands, but Wiseco is the most popular choice.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!