First KDX!

Got questions? We got answers....
vaderoni

First KDX!

Post by vaderoni »

I got my KDX today! It's in pretty good shape for an 8 year old bike. Here are some pictures. Ill get better ones soon. :supz:
Any thoughts or helpful input?
vaderoni

Post by vaderoni »

Oh ya, I plan on getting radiator braces, a pipe guard, and a skid plate. Anyone have any experience with the thumpertalk skid plate, or have one you'd recommend? (Im on a high schooler's budget, so things cant be astronomically high)
Hi my name is Russell, and its nice to meet you!
1997 Kawasaki KDX220
2000 Kawasaki KDX200
2000 KTM EXC 300
2004 Kawasaki KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Some PJ1 epoxy Kawi green paint on the brushguards? It will get scraped/scratched off to some extent..but you can touch that up from time to time. Get some button head screws to put 'em back on. Look like pop rivets now. Screws make it easier for taking them on/off.

I've had a Works Connection skid plate for years. It covers the frame loops. Not all plates do that. It's pretty banged up..but my frame tubes are still round!

Didn't look...where's Loomis? If anywhere around El Dorado/Georgetown..get skipro to get you a tour!

...if'n it's not covered in snow by now.......

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Looks pretty clean! Is it the stock front tire :shock: ? Do you know a little about this bike? Maintenance...repairs...new parts?

oh! Where did you stole these handguards?
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
vaderoni

Post by vaderoni »

Yeah, I was thinking about painting the handguards black. And yes, they are screws, not rivets.
Just got my skid plate from TT today and mounted it :grin: It's the same one you described, cc.
And yeah, I live about 45 min from Georgetown, and ride there quite a bit! :supz: Forest Hill/Sugar pine too.
We only had one little sprinkle last weekend, so its pretty dusty there still.

Yes, its the stock front tire, I kinda like it, compared to the d756 I was running on my 150f. The bike was the wife of a local amateur MX racer's bike, and he did all the maintenance on it. She just trail rode it with the kids (10 years and under from my estimation). The rear has only been changed once. I discovered that the air box lid was removed, and the previous owner didn't have it. Ummm, a turbine core 2 is the only other new part.

Im not used to big bikes, do you let your chain have as much slack as mine? Seems kinda like a lotta play IMO.
Oh, those Cyrcas are off my 150f. No use in trashing a perfectly good pair of $100 handguards. The stockers aren't much good other than keeping my hands warm. :mrgreen:
1997 Kawasaki KDX220
2000 Kawasaki KDX200
2000 KTM EXC 300
2004 Kawasaki KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Skipro rides Rock Creek quite a bit..and Elkins..and lots'a other places. Drop him a PM if you're looking for someone to ride with. If you don't leave him behind TOO bad, he might ride more'n once with you!

What is '..as much slack as mine'? It's measured with the bike on the side stand at the end of the chain slipper on the swingarm. 1 1/4" is on the low side. I don't recall the exact spec from the manual..something like 30-45mm or somesuch. Look it up in your manual!

It would be a real good idea (mandatory) to service everything that is supposed to be greased: Steering stem, rear suspension, swingarm.

Set the sag to about 100mm..adjust to suit. Changing fork oil would be good.

Check carb jetting.

Consider the source

vaderoni

Post by vaderoni »

Nice, I shall.
I thought you might have been able to see from the pictures, ill measure it later today.
And ill start greasing all those joints tomorrow. :grin:
1997 Kawasaki KDX220
2000 Kawasaki KDX200
2000 KTM EXC 300
2004 Kawasaki KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Probably a good idea to have a lower shock bearing and sleeve on hand before you take it apart. Chances are pretty good you will need one. It's a common failure item. The OEM bearing is pretty much junk out of the box....out of the plastic bag, even.

What I see from your pics is what looks to be a quite black thing wrapped around the sprockets. That's about it chainwise.

In the 'related links' list below, I notice this!

No..your bike isn't new, but it does emphasize the condition they come in..and often it's not rectified.

Consider the source

firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Hey vaderoni, nice to see you made it over here. Lots of good info on this site, you just have to wade through the thick sarcasm.

Do the perscribed maintenance when you can, but most important is to get out and enjoy your new bike. Like I mentioned to you before, this bike is very versitile and can grow with you as you progress.

Have fun and keep us informed on how you like it.
'
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
firffighter wrote:... you just have to wade through the thick sarcasm.
:neutral: Does somebody need a hug?????

Consider the source

firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

No, but my butt could use a massage after over 200 miles in 2 days last weekend! :lol:
'
vaderoni

Post by vaderoni »

Ha, I hate sarcasm... :lol:
1997 Kawasaki KDX220
2000 Kawasaki KDX200
2000 KTM EXC 300
2004 Kawasaki KDX220
vaderoni

Post by vaderoni »

Oh, and do I get all these bearings from a place like bikebandit? Or do you recommend somewhere else?
1997 Kawasaki KDX220
2000 Kawasaki KDX200
2000 KTM EXC 300
2004 Kawasaki KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

First off...no one corrected or even bothered to sarcastically heavily beat up my chain spec. I expect better of ya'll.

The manual spec is 2 1/4" minimum at the back of the slipper. I was thinking of chain slack, not a distance from the swingarm with the mm number. Still....it was at the least confusing.

Bike on stand (suspension unloaded..topped out..no shock spring compression), measure a minimum of 2 1/4" from the swingarm to the bottom of a lifted chain (@90º to the swingarm, 'natch). Max is 2 3/4" or so. I run my chain at 2 1/4", don't fuss with what the maximum number is.

Re: bearings

Your choice..dealer, BikeBandit, RonAyers. OEM is required unless you modify the bearing type used. I use a Both Sides Now sealed bearing (thassa' joke, son) from McMaster-Carr (seal modification required). I have not looked exhaustively..but calls and queries to several (3-4) bearing outfits got me NO replacement match.

BTW...without quoting Webster, what's your definition of sarcasm? Most folks don't even know what it is..and think that a whole lotta things they hear are examples of it when in fact what they heard hasn't a glimmer of a hint of sarcasm in it.

Consider the source

vaderoni

Post by vaderoni »

I measured it a few days ago and it was exactly in the middle.

I suppose my definition of sarcasm is when someone says something and means the opposite, you can tell by their emotion/body language.
Such as: *friend falls off skateboard, brakes arm* Me: "Wow Nathan, that was brilliant."

Copied from the webster website: "A mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual"

I agree^^

Re: Bearings
Ill probably use bikebandit, dealers around here are really pricey!
1997 Kawasaki KDX220
2000 Kawasaki KDX200
2000 KTM EXC 300
2004 Kawasaki KDX220
vaderoni

Post by vaderoni »

Here are some updated pics of Green Bean as it sits right now. Received my order with free overnight shipping! Kudos to Thumpertalk Store! :supz:
The only thing I have not put on yet is the moose pipe guard, its gonna take some work to beat it into shape... :?

Now I ran into a few problems, the Devol radiator guards do not allow the lower radiator shroud bolt to line up with the nut on the radiator. I did all the trimming I could and still no luck... Kinda ticked about that. So right now I just have a zip tie filling in the gap there:
Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Also, these two spacers came with the Devols, they are urethane I believe. I have no idea where they go. My finger is there for size reference.

BTW, I am really lovin' the 2 stroke! I get all giddy once I hit the powerband, and away I go! :rolleyes:
I don't know if Ill ever go back to 4 strokes...
1997 Kawasaki KDX220
2000 Kawasaki KDX200
2000 KTM EXC 300
2004 Kawasaki KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I wouldn't waste the moose pipe guard on the stock pipe. It's double layer anyway, so save it for a performance pipe you'll get later on.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
vaderoni

Post by vaderoni »

Yeah, I thought it was kinda thick, so just leave it until I get a gnarly or similar?
1997 Kawasaki KDX220
2000 Kawasaki KDX200
2000 KTM EXC 300
2004 Kawasaki KDX220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Congrats on the KDX . . .

I sold mine yet STILL get excited when someone gets one.

And Mike's right about saving the guard for the aftermarket pipe, the stocker is dual-walled and filled with lead shot.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!