EFM autoclutch or transmission problem ?

Got questions? We got answers....
dentvet
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dentvet »

I'm sorry I forgot about the ktmtalk lockout, i know how annoying that is. Here's the subject elsewhere: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73558

Anyways, it not about kdx bikes but the ktm bearings would disintegrate at the bearing cage, getting far worse than a little axial slop before self destruction occured.

It would be a drag to replace that bearing only to have the same shifting problem after reassembly.

I don't think it matters but...
Are the axial forces different between auto and stock clutch? Stock; zero axial thrust on that bearing unless clutch rod is pushing the inner hub away. Auto; always has axial pressure on that bearing unless fully engaged under throttle? there might be a difference but my understanding is probably flawed.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The clutch in either case is an intermediary between gears. There is no pressure on the gears just sitting there engaged or disengaged. Where the pressure IS felt is on the clutch springs. With an autoclutch, they're 'squeezed' most of the time, squeezed only when the clutch lever is pulled with a 'real' clutch.

Take your RH cover off. With the clutch disengaged (gears connected) wiggle the tranny input shaft. Wiggle the crank gear. Engage the clutch (pull the lever). Unless there is pressure from the 'back' side (something pushing on the rear wheel), you won't feel any difference in those gears regardless what the clutch is doing.

Guess it could be simpler. Do the same thing only use the tranny OUTput shaft (sprocket) and the magneto rotor.

But....my understanding is probably flawed....... :wink:

These katoom bearings you are referring to...that's thought to be exclusively an autoclutch issue? I didn't note mention of that......

That SKF blind puller is one good-looking tool!! Gee...and only $700? What a bargain!! :neutral:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
dentvet
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dentvet »

The ktm problem has nothing to do with an auto clutch.

I agree that this kdx case isn't caused by the auto clutch either.

I was just trying to understand the forces on that bearing in question, didn't mean to muddy the waters with the ktm comparison.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Muddying waters is what dirtbikes..and dirtbikers do, ain't it?

It was an interesting write-up!

That bearing is pretty high in the case. I wonder if there are lubrication problems that impinge on it's lifetime.

The way it fails (retainer breaking) is odd, isn't it? Maybe it's just a lousy bearing? Radial forces won't effect the retainer. Don't see that axial forces would, either.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!